SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
00z Model Discussion | January 2-3 Winter storm

user13

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we have a good semblance of what the models want to do, which is great. I guess everything will depend on whether we see a nice clean phase, or a more disjointed partial or late phase. Regardless, a nice moderate event is looking pretty good right now with bitterly cold temperatures, which I'm sure most won't complain about. Next up gfs. 

That overrunning precipitation gets me so excited...the h7 rh field has really improved. Simulated radar shows snow falling as early as 21 Wednesday and not stopping until Friday morning. 

Yeah and I think the overrunning will be south of where the NAM shows it as well which will make the coastal people happy.

Here is the slightly disjointed look I was speaking about earlier in high resolution. We're literally talking a few hours faster and the NAM has the northern stream phasing in and consolidating, helping to pull the subsequent surface low farther west and produce more expansive heavier precipitation. 

namCGP_500_avort_063.gif

Even the SREF and ARW/NMM members that don't have the big system show a moderate snowfall from overrunning. 

I think we're all in good shape for a several inch snow event at least. The big question after that is the phasing, and whether we can really rely on inverted troughs for snow (I always hate relying on those to produce as they could verify 150 miles away from where models have them a day out).

Archived