e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December 21-23rd Winter Storm Part 4

Chicago Storm

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All sleet here too, really no flakes. Looking at critical thicknesses per SPC, we've still got a way to go, especially down here:

You're closer than you think.

The snow/mix line runs from near UGN to DKB to Princeton. There's little in the way of eastward progression though right now.

10,000 without power in Picton, ON (near Belleville) 

They've seen 2cm of ice accretion around there.

That was amazing when posted, I'd love to know what its like now!   :axe:

ZR is overrated. I was just outside trying to enjoy it. Beh. It ain't no snow. In fact, I think pellets are more interesting.

Nope, I actually have to disagree because when one of these things come along, its an experience and feeling that is unique. I didn't mind losing power for 6 hours, days not sure how I'd feel :lmao: . I'm actually envying what Toronto and other areas are getting currently...a light show and gunshot snaps. Reading the tweets makes me want to be there.

Places just north and west of Toronto are going to be in for an apocalyptic ice storm. Probably a once in 100 year storm.

I was wondering what league this would be in and guessed once in 20 years. You might be right though. Still thinking there is a decent chance it will be the 2nd worst ever for Canada.

I'm unhappy with what I'm getting...started off as snow until 10:00 pm then switched to light freezing rain (clouds were cool that I could see). It went to moderate ice pellets around 12:00 am and sort of is staying like that. Its showing up as heavy snow on obs. Radar is impressive but actual is not   <_< . My power did flicker about a hour ago however.

I've found this whole system and setup quite interesting for December. Saw a lot of wind damage reports through Ohio,  and the temperatures gradient over that state is almost insane. 61F in Dayton, 38F in Lima, those cities are only roughly 60 miles apart. It looks like the center of the low is right over those two cities right now as well.

Snow is coming down pretty good here now. Hoping to see a solid 4 or 5 inches by the time I wake up. 

Wishing the best for all of you stuck in the ice storm. 

Nearly 1,400 customers just lost power across southeastern Perth County. No info on outages in Waterloo Region as Kitchener-Wilmot Hydro and Waterloo North Hydro do not provide those updates, but we've flickered once in the last half hour. The trees out back are really crackling right now. Wish it were daylight to really see how everything looks with all the icing. 

Edit, we've switched over to very light rain.

Just a matter of time before I lose power..starting to flicker off/on. Night all, stay safe, catch up in the morning!

Just stepped outside in T.O here and witnessed  thunder and lightening.

The sound and sight of it was quite muted.

What is a freezing rain thunderstorm? FZTS or ZRTS? I dunno.

Very rare moment indeed.

Very rare moment indeed.

You probably saw transformer explosions. Keep seeing tweets of lightning across the GTA, but there are no strikes detected on Allisonhouse or EC lightning maps.

Nearly 1,400 customers just lost power across southeastern Perth County. No info on outages in Waterloo Region as Kitchener-Wilmot Hydro and Waterloo North Hydro do not provide those updates, but we've flickered once in the last half hour. The trees out back are really crackling right now. Wish it were daylight to really see how everything looks with all the icing.

The Hydro One storm outages page just went from 32,000 to 52,000 within minutes...

Very rare moment indeed.

What colour was the lightning? 100% not a transformer blowing instead?

HydroOne has jumped from 32,000 customers to 84,000 customers without power in the 1.25 hours. Can't say I've ever seen such a jump in outages like this before during a storm. Could be 100,000s without power including local utilities at this point. About to take a walk around the neighbourhood to see what's up.

It's also incredible to read all the of tweets coming in about the transformer explosions across the GTA/Golden Horseshoe. It can't be pretty out there, also incredible of the amount of damage pictures being posted in the GTA. Daylight will show the extent very well. 

Across southern ON some of this heavier convective precip could become ice pellets and there could be something like TIP+SP+ reports, I still feel that phase 2 of this storm could become more snow than freezing rain. Colder air is clearly draining into the boundary layers and temps will start to drop gradually after 12z. Have heard that Kingston area has widespread power failures and 3-4 cm ice accretion. Chris Scott can feel pretty good about his forecast on this event. It will become a nightmare to clear when it gets the snowy crust on top and a more solid freeze from the -15 to -20 C temps arriving Monday night.

Expect fairly widespread thunder in w NY later tonight also, with rain now changing phase, that could also go over to IP+SP+ mix during Sunday morning.

Across southern ON some of this heavier convective precip could become ice pellets and there could be something like TIP+SP+ reports, I still feel that phase 2 of this storm could become more snow than freezing rain. Colder air is clearly draining into the boundary layers and temps will start to drop gradually after 12z. Have heard that Kingston area has widespread power failures and 3-4 cm ice accretion. Chris Scott can feel pretty good about his forecast on this event. It will become a nightmare to clear when it gets the snowy crust on top and a more solid freeze from the -15 to -20 C temps arriving Monday night.

Expect fairly widespread thunder in w NY later tonight also, with rain now changing phase, that could also go over to IP+SP+ mix during Sunday morning.

KBUF was reporting 0.2" of ice accumulation as of 2am..

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

546 AM EST SUN DEC 22 2013

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0545 AM ICE ACCUMULATION ALEXANDRIA BAY 44.34N 75.92W

12/22/2013 JEFFERSON NY TRAINED SPOTTER

ABOUT AN INCH OF ICE... AND AN INCH OR TWO OF SNOW.

ALSO WIRES DOWN DUE TO HEAVY ICING.

:arrowhead:

Archived