• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 21-23rd Winter Storm Part 4

Chicago Storm

I was wondering that myself. He was posting profusely before and during the storm and now nothing. Hope everything's okay in Etobicoke.

Etobicoke was hit pretty good from what I hear, lots of large trees in the neighborhoods. Have a good buddy in Etobicoke who usually responds to messages pretty quickly and haven't heard from him either.

Hopefully SSC is has found a way to stay warm, or has changed locations.

Still 219,000 customers in Toronto alone without power, plus nearly 100,000 Hydroone customers. Easily over 1 million people ('customers' could include a whole family) without power in the affected areas.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most places seem to be fine now. I don't see anyone new losing power. About 220,000 homes without power still in Toronto proper alone, though. 

Lots of melting happened last night so I don't think there's enough ice to snap much 

It is actually STILL a big problem except your location.

Up around Christie Pits here lost only a little ice to melt. Actually icier here today than yesterday after refreeze.

If winds pick up could be more problems.

Probably half million plus people (maybe SSC too) aren't fine.

People i know in Forest Hill, Danforth, Leaside areas are frozen in the dark.this icy Christmas.

There is still a lot of ice on the trees and power lines here. Hopefully we can get a good deal of sunshine tomorrow to help thaw it out a little.

I tried to break off some of the ice on my internet antenna today. There had to be at least an inch of ice on it, even after the slight melting from yesterday.

I made an interesting observation regarding local elevation and its impact on the ice storm.

I live at approximately 938 ft elevation, ice is present around 960 ft here.

Whats this mean? Trees taller than 22 feet have their top crown covered in ice. As you drive south toward my parents (5 miles), ice is only present above 980 ft, so land + tree height has to exceed 980 ft for ice to be present on the crown. The farther north you drive the lower the ice height is until its right down to ground level no matter where you are.

My inlaws live about 10 miles south of me and ice height starts around 1000 ft, so the hills or trees exceeding 1000 ft have ice almost to the ground level, but most surrounding area has no ice.

I really feel like the majority of reporting on this ice storm has been unfairly biased towards the Toronto power and public transportation systems. I have basically found no news on the status of most areas affected. Haven't even heard a story yet from Brampton, Vaughan, Hamilton, Guelph etc.

For info on Waterloo Region...

- expected to take a month to complete storm cleanup

- Woolwich Twp still under a state of emergency

- power expected to be out until the weekend in areas around Cambridge.

That is the whole picture from CTV Kitchener. They briefly mention the above info, while reporting on a family in Cambridge who are drinking eggnog and are unable to cook a turkey on Christmas Day, and then switch reporting over to the Toronto situation. Really frustrating there is no summary of the full scale impacts of this storm. Are there any other states of emergencies in effect other than Woolwich Twp?

Good to see that you and yours are okay. Congrats...or something like that. Nice pics and I hope everything gets back to normal for you soon.

I'd almost rather see that than what we have right now, which is bare ground and 2° F, with a WC of -15° F.

I get that. With the trees glazed over it's going to be one of the prettiest Christmases I've ever experienced. But I'll always trade bare ground for power. 

I made an interesting observation regarding local elevation and its impact on the ice storm.

Whats this mean? Trees taller than 22 feet have their top crown covered in ice. As you drive south toward my parents (5 miles), ice is only present above 980 ft, so land + tree height has to exceed 980 ft for ice to be present on the crown. The farther north you drive the lower the ice height is until its right down to ground level no matter where you are.

My inlaws live about 10 miles south of me and ice height starts around 1000 ft, so the hills or trees exceeding 1000 ft have ice almost to the ground level, but most surrounding area has no ice.

Ah yes the joys of geography. Nice observation, I guess you have a few more hills up there then here where it is literally all flat except along rivers

Dang... Stebo hit this ice call right on. The I-69 corridor call was spot on as well. Genesee county was the worst hit in Consumer's coverage area and many here will be without power here until Saturday. DTE Energy's map is still lit up pretty good too. We were very lucky that we didn't lose power here, because transformers were exploding everywhere around us. We were a very small island of people with power surrounded on all sides by outages. Since we had power here at home, I loaned our generator to our relatives in Linden who lost power Sunday morning. 

I broke a chunk of ice off a table and it's about 0.4" thick. The trees look like they're from another planet with a coating of fluffy snow on top of the ice. The sun shining through them makes them look like they're electrified. There has been no melting at all thus far.

We just got our internet and cable back about 20 minutes ago, it's been out since around 6AM Sunday. We had no local TV either because we don't have an outside antenna (yet). Local radio is crap. I finally caught some news and weather on one of the Central Michigan University radio stations last night. 

We had a 1G connection on our cell phone to keep up with facebook. 

A little rant about local TV service... they should have at least left a an analog B&W w/Mono aural on the carrier for times like this. A lot of people do not have an outside antenna and digital isn't worth poop dust without one The powers that be would love to screw radio the same way, but it's not been going so well for them. AM & FM are fine in analog, leave them alone IMO. 

Rant over... I'm better now.

I'd post a couple pics, but they'd be pretty much indiscernible from many pics already posted in here, so I'll spare the bandwidth.

So, IMBY, 0.4" ice and 4 inches of fluffy, light snow since Sunday. 

I hope everyone came out of all this okay. It was quite a mess.

Merry Christmas and/or happy holidays to you all, at least you have something wintry to see outside your windows, here it looks about the same as it does every other month, minus the leaves.

I was just thinking about Georgetown which is where I spent my formative years (that probably explains a lot) and last visited just back in September on a beautiful fall day, this is what one maple tree looked like then:

post-313-0-79086400-1387932788_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the concern guys. I'm ok though. I just got back on the grid sometime overnight. Spent the last 48 hours mostly at my grandma's in south Etobicoke where they weren't hit as hard. She doesn't have internet access and I hate posting on my cell so that's why I've been silent. Pics to come....

Good to hear you're okay canuck. Merry Christmas!

Most places seem to be fine now. I don't see anyone new losing power. About 220,000 homes without power still in Toronto proper alone, though. 

Lots of melting happened last night so I don't think there's enough ice to snap much 

It looks like you were very much justified in your concern late last week about the potential for power outages. I really feel for the people who had to spend this Christmas in the dark.

Merry Christmas to all if you. My power and heat were restored late Monday afternoon after 35 hours out. The temperature dropped to 51F in my house by lunchtime Monday. Coldest night I've ever experienced in the house. I'm one of the lucky ones, though

Houses on the Danforth were reporting 4C (40F) inside their homes. Those old houses have awful insulation.

Was it worth it to be without power to experience a decent ice storm?

I'd say yes, but just barely. Had my power been out deeper into Christmas Eve day I would have started chirping. Plus I know there are tens of thousands in this city that'll disagree.

I'd have to agree with you but then, again, I had power restored by Monday evening after only 35 hours in the dark. It was certainly the prettiest Christmas I have ever experienced.

ICE_21-22Dec13.png

This DTX map does not tell the whole story.   These measurements were at ground level.  As you went up on the trees you could easily add 1/4-1/2" to these measurements in the I69 corridor down to M59.  During the storm around 3-4 PM is when ground level started to freeze at my house.  I went out at that time and you could clearly see and hear ice on the trees starting about 15' off the ground getting thicker as you went up.  I know from various people and relatives to the north that the ground level freeze time was earlier and earlier as you traveled north. 

Yeah it was crazy this way! 

Message posted within the hour from a family friend in Halton Hills:

And on the 8th day of the Acton Ice Age we were given the Christmas gift of.....HYDRO! It is difficult to put into words the Christmas our family experienced this year, but I can certainly say that I appreciate even more the great family and friends the ----- have been blessed with. 

They're very lucky they had a wood stove to keep them warm this week.

Twitter photo from Sunday of the RM of Halton region limits sign: pic.twitter.com/vn3ApA5tP2

Archived