amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 21-23rd Winter Storm Part 4

Chicago Storm

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have an idea how the melting situation is playing out? Up in Georgetown getting pics, on mobile at the moment.

Car thermo still reads 28F. Have a feeling some areas wont melt much.

Big time tree damage up here.

Not sure. TWN forecast says we won't go back below freezing til 8 PM. We could lose almost all the ice by then. Up to 2c here. The melt sounds like rain.

michsnowfreak, on 22 Dec 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

Lol, speak for yourself. I was referring to how Bow was a local jackpot as was my area of SE MI last weekend, only his timing is perfect (for Christmas). DTW was under mod-hvy snow for 7 consecutive hours last Sat and I had a snowfall amount similar to Bows (just under 9"). Completely different storm south of detroit than north.

While I wouldn't call it flurries, it is true that Detroit didn't have the snowfall rates that Milwaukee did (their snow fell in 12 hours or less, whereas ours fell in a span of roughly 18 hours. In fact, half of Milwaukee's total snowfall fell in 6 hours or less). It looks like they had much better dendrites than we did too, based on the pics.

20-40 km/h winds forecasted.

attachicon.giftorontoice2.png

Is that online? Cause that is exactly what we in Toronto see when we turn on the TV. LOL

Yeah man today is a mess. Took me 3 hours to get the ice off my driveway and its still not done. My back/arms kill. This is more complicated than a workout at the gym -_- 

Flights cancelled and public transit down. The city is in a standstill. Its chaos! Environment Canada, for the third day in a row, has busted on temperatures. 

Is that online? Cause that is exactly what we in Toronto see when we turn on the TV. LOL

Yeah man today is a mess. Took me 3 hours to get the ice off my driveway and its still not done. My back/arms kill. This is more complicated than a workout at the gym -_- 

Flights cancelled and public transit down. The city is in a standstill. Its chaos! Environment Canada, for the third day in a row, has busted on temperatures. 

Massive bust. High of 3 for GTA then changed it to +1 when clearly that wasn't happening. In the end, I think the warmest temperature ended up being the Island with -1  :axe:

No melting at all.

Thankfully I think this wind forecast will bust. Hopefully.

Massive bust. High of 3 for GTA then changed it to +1 when clearly that wasn't happening. In the end, I think the warmest temperature ended up being the Island with -1  :axe:

No melting at all.

Thankfully I think this wind forecast will bust. Hopefully.

Yesterday was also predicted to hit 2C but it never got above 0C LOL. And the same today. The models show some bitterly cold conditions from tomorrow thru Christmas. This ice aint going no where. Its brutal. Thankfully, I didnt lose power today. How you holding up man? 

Environment Canada is too conservative and warm-biased. But respect to them for issuing warnings many days prior to this event. 

Yesterday was also predicted to hit 2C but it never got above 0C LOL. And the same today. The models show some bitterly cold conditions from tomorrow thru Christmas. This ice aint going no where. Its brutal. Thankfully, I didnt lose power today. How you holding up man? 

Environment Canada is too conservative and warm-biased. But respect to them for issuing warnings many days prior to this event. 

I'm fine. Power flickers about once an hour but no problem here.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI  1227 PM EST SUN DEC 22 2013     ..TIME...  ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON     ..DATE...  ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.                ..REMARKS..    1200 PM     ICE STORM        3 NW DELTON             42.53N 85.45W  12/22/2013  M0.63 INCH       BARRY              MI   TRAINED SPOTTER                  BETWEEN 5/8 AND 3/4 OF AN INCH OF ICE               ACCUMULATED ON ALL TREES, POWER LINES, AND               OTHER SURFACES. HEAVY TREE DAMAGE WITH 3               DOWNED TREES AND MANY LARGE LIMBS DOWN.    

Highest report here was in Springfield ( sits inside of Battle Creek ) with .56! Did not lose power so all is good. I see bowme did great! Oh and awesome pics too!

That was a screenshot from that channel. 

Highest report here was in Springfield ( sits inside of Battle Creek ) with .56! Did not lose power so all is good. I see bowme did great! Oh and awesome pics too!

Yeah, I'm just 6 miles almost due east of the BTL ASOS, and I looked everywhere but could not find anywhere near 0.50" of ZR. I got an average of about 0.25"

Yeah, I'm just 6 miles almost due east of the BTL ASOS, and I looked everywhere but could not find anywhere near 0.50" of ZR. I got an average of about 0.25"

I thought that and the report from BTL early in the am ( 1am with .32 ) seemed high as well but wasn't gonna argue it as i did not go out to check and see like i should have. Could see the wires just outside my windows upstairs and they had alot of ice hanging off them but still don't think it was that much.

My storm total appears to be about 5.7"  Measured first time last night around 2" at a bit after midnight, measured again this morning with another 3.7".  Total of 5.7"   Also appears we had appx. .1-.2 of sleet and freezing rain as well.  Total water equivalent of everything .61 so a very wet and cakey snow to be sure.  The cold coming is going to turn this into a glacier.

Went up to Georgetown (about 25 minutes north) to survey the damage and as I expected they were hit very hard. Entire town is out of power, and I would estimate over 90% of large trees have serious damage.

About 1.5" ice accretion. It was incredible to see. Grabbed a bunch of video which I'll edit together at some point.

Here's a photo I took. Notice how tiny that branch is:

BcG-f0_IcAAKEzx.jpg

Went up to Georgetown (about 25 minutes north) to survey the damage and as I expected they were hit very hard. Entire town is out of power, and I would estimate over 90% of large trees have serious damage.

About 1.5" ice accretion. It was incredible to see. Grabbed a bunch of video which I'll edit together at some point.

Here's a photo I took. Notice how tiny that branch is:

BcG-f0_IcAAKEzx.jpg

Wow, that photo clearly shows that there is no exaggeration in ice accretion. Stay safe and I hope melting occurs soon.

Archived