amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 21-23rd Winter Storm Part 4

Chicago Storm

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went up to Georgetown (about 25 minutes north) to survey the damage and as I expected they were hit very hard. Entire town is out of power, and I would estimate over 90% of large trees have serious damage.

About 1.5" ice accretion. It was incredible to see. Grabbed a bunch of video which I'll edit together at some point.

Here's a photo I took. Notice how tiny that branch is:

BcG-f0_IcAAKEzx.jpg

Wow!

Nice ice storm pics guys.

This was outside of our sub, but figured you guys would like this.  Check out the incredible contrast in snowfall amounts on the northwest edge of the snow yesterday in KS.  It goes from 15" to zero in less than 50 miles.  Very sharp gradient.  Kind of reminds me of 12/1/06 for this area, but much more dramatic.

This from NWS DDC fb page.

1491268_716515865040238_420374485_o.jpg

Compilation of the most serious photos I can find on Twitter. Feel free to add to the list if you know of other good photos. Really looks like northern Halton Region through central Peel Region and into southern York Region received the brunt of the storm affecting a line from Halton Hills to Vaughan most seriously. At least what the photos I can find suggest.

Georgetown:

pic.twitter.com/zGbgDSLB6V

pic.twitter.com/8YpbI8vGnD

Brampton:

pic.twitter.com/USm4P1bo1k

pic.twitter.com/I1A63aZ4wX

pic.twitter.com/ay71PWfTwV

Vaughan:

pic.twitter.com/8E5v8VEh0H

pic.twitter.com/HuTbREFHnW

pic.twitter.com/tMkX5uNFBB

Caledon:

pic.twitter.com/xj5Ne5v6Rm

Whitby:

pic.twitter.com/EjgAmCqVDt

Ajax: 

pic.twitter.com/eEQy5kgXVr

Waterdown:

pic.twitter.com/CYJaGKDLfj

Oakville:

pic.twitter.com/XtC43lCPG3

Richmond Hill:

pic.twitter.com/mCEjPYhUP6

Kleinburg:

pic.twitter.com/PqoiuL1qr4

Compilation of the most serious photos I can find on Twitter. Feel free to add to the list if you know of other good photos. Really looks like northern Halton Region through central Peel Region and into southern York Region received the brunt of the storm affecting a line from Halton Hills to Vaughan most seriously. At least what the photos I can find suggest.

Georgetown:

pic.twitter.com/zGbgDSLB6V

pic.twitter.com/8YpbI8vGnD

Brampton:

pic.twitter.com/USm4P1bo1k

pic.twitter.com/I1A63aZ4wX

pic.twitter.com/ay71PWfTwV

Vaughan:

pic.twitter.com/8E5v8VEh0H

pic.twitter.com/HuTbREFHnW

pic.twitter.com/tMkX5uNFBB

Caledon:

pic.twitter.com/xj5Ne5v6Rm

Whitby:

pic.twitter.com/EjgAmCqVDt

Ajax: 

pic.twitter.com/eEQy5kgXVr

Waterdown:

pic.twitter.com/CYJaGKDLfj

Oakville:

pic.twitter.com/XtC43lCPG3

Richmond Hill:

pic.twitter.com/mCEjPYhUP6

Kleinburg:

pic.twitter.com/PqoiuL1qr4

Great collection, nice work Hal!

Didn't take nearly as many pictures as I should have. This is all within 1 block of my apartment at 10am this morning. My first venture out at 9am included 4 branches falling onto the road forcing me into the centre of the street. Was my first time experiencing the "rifle fire" sound of branches breaking all around. Not too much out of the ordinary to see in this album, as I swear I suffer from the "if I take a pic of this it'll look just like the other 50 photos" syndrome.

The Township of Woolwich immediately north of Waterloo declared a state of emergency. We lost power for about 8-9 hours starting near noon Sunday. Several transformers and hydro lines were blowing all morning. 

icestorm1_zps378251a7.png

icestorm2_zpsfc93be3a.png

icestorm7_zps6d297478.png

icestorm3_zps189b6e19.png

icestorm5_zps3c41b6e7.png

icestorm4_zpsd107f95f.png

icestorm6_zpsfeec6457.png[/url]

Compilation of the most serious photos I can find on Twitter. Feel free to add to the list if you know of other good photos. Really looks like northern Halton Region through central Peel Region and into southern York Region received the brunt of the storm affecting a line from Halton Hills to Vaughan most seriously.

Agreed, from what Ive seen in photos and from my drive around yesterday these areas were definitely ground zero for ice. Very rough in Halton Hills, never seen so many snapped trees and limbs. Its shocking.

I'm going to start a thread for ice storm pics when I get home from work. (Feel free to get one going now). I took a whole bunch and will have more when I do a damage survey in my neighbourhood tomorrow. Heading to an xmas party on the 27th in Brampton so Ill get pictures of the destruction there too. A friend told me on some streets almost every tree will never look the same.

Incredible storm.

Here's my question: What happens with this level of ice accretion combined with long term sub freezing temperatures? Currently it is a hair above 1 celsius in Toronto, but the extended looks pretty chilly. Will this just remain on the trees until a thaw? Wouldn't that cause additional damage?  

Back in Dec '94 we had several days well below freezing following a big ice storm.  Some of the ice began to sublimate, or shrink back enough that it became somewhat brittle.  A lot of it ended up breaking off the trees with just the slightest wind after a few days. 

one of the bulls eye's around here!

0800 AM     SNOW             CHARLEVOIX              45.32N 85.27W
12/23/2013  M10.0 INCH       CHARLEVOIX         MI   COOP OBSERVER

COOP OBSERVER STATION CHARLEVOIX /CHRM4/
            SNOW DURATION 24 HOURS

Most places seem to be fine now. I don't see anyone new losing power. About 220,000 homes without power still in Toronto proper alone, though. 

Lots of melting happened last night so I don't think there's enough ice to snap much 

Incredible. I still have ice everywhere including trees, roads and sidewalks in my area. Not much melting last night as we lost daytime heating. 

The 3" of snow left on the ground has become solid ice, lol. White Christmas :D

I wonder how SSC is doing? Havent heard from him in a while..

Here's my question: What happens with this level of ice accretion combined with long term sub freezing temperatures? Currently it is a hair above 1 celsius in Toronto, but the extended looks pretty chilly. Will this just remain on the trees until a thaw? Wouldn't that cause additional damage?  

This time of the year, even with the Sun out, it cant do much in warming the SFC up when temperatures are way below freezing. The ice will most likely stay on the trees for a while. It may melt some; however, further damage is possible if we get a windy day this week. All the standing water has frozen over on the streets and sidewalks. Its hard to keep your balance when your walking around, lol. 

Time for some ice hockey on the road, lol. 

one of the bulls eye's around here!

0800 AM     SNOW             CHARLEVOIX              45.32N 85.27W

12/23/2013  M10.0 INCH       CHARLEVOIX         MI   COOP OBSERVER

COOP OBSERVER STATION CHARLEVOIX /CHRM4/

SNOW DURATION 24 HOURS

Gaylord is having a fantastic start to winter... That's what a -7F departure can do for you.

Incredible. I still have ice everywhere including trees, roads and sidewalks in my area. Not much melting last night as we lost daytime heating. 

The 3" of snow left on the ground has become solid ice, lol. White Christmas :D

I wonder how SSC is doing? Havent heard from him in a while..

I was wondering that myself. He was posting profusely before and during the storm and now nothing. Hope everything's okay in Etobicoke.

Archived