e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December 21-23rd Winter Storm Part 4

Chicago Storm

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a brief rumble of thunder at 455am, kinda neat to say the least, but when I peeked outside the snowfall wasn't terribly impressive...pouring lots of tiny flakes nothing really sizeable.  Thinking around 4" ought to do it around here if we can keep the decent snowfall going for a few more hours. 

lil more snow than i thought i'd wake up to.. figured we'd be waiting for the defor snows to get in.   Hope all in the ice are safe and staying warm with power to be restored asap..   Hope we never have to chat about freezing rain again this winter - ugh there is no amuzement in that stuff.

Time to go shopping... crazies on the road and in the store... awesome.    heavy drinking to commence at 3 pm with the game.

zl3io5.jpg

From the radar trends, I think we're going to get some of the higher totals from this storm in MSN. Just need for it to really crank out for the next few hours before it cuts off. I measured 2.3" so far. I'm hoping for 6-7" if we're lucky. That would be a nice total, but nothing spectacular after all these days of tracking the storm.

It's just horrid here right now.  At least 1/2" of ice.  I am extremely blessed to have power.  You can here branches are snapping and falling like 1 per minute.  I awoke to one falling & felt like an minor earthquake. Thank God I don't have any tree next to my house!!!

Stebo ... great call on the forecast as I know you called this Ice storm out several days out!!  Hats off to you :thumbsup:

Low is over Lake Erie now and temp at Erie PA which had been falling slowly jumped up to above 60 F in a strong southerly wind. The front may push back past BUF and even ROC for a brief interval now. This could set off some fireworks over the GTA shortly.

I think I may have said earlier that the  Jan 1968 ice storm in Toronto followed heavy snow, now that I check my records I realize that it was the other way around, 30 mm rain on the 14th and 30 cm snow on the 15th. Can still recall the really nasty conditions that followed all that, but this seems worse in terms of ice load, the 1968 storm did damage to trees and wires partly because of the heavy snow load on top of the glaze.

Did you know that in the olden days (meaning the 1920s or so) they used to call freezing rain the "silver thaw" at least in Canada, not sure about the U.S. ? That term had died out by the time I got interested in the weather in the 1960s and I only happened to encounter it when I looked in some old monthly records at the EC h.q. as a student, the term would be noted each time there was a heavy glazing event anywhere in Canada. I think this one could be more silver and less thaw.

"decent" snows falling. APX mention 2" per hour rates coming with 5-8" expected.  not too excited but this may push me to around 2' of snow cover if I get the high end forecasted. still sticking with my 5.2".  snow so far 1.5".... temps has slowly started to fall, 22 now. by 10 am 19.

#wintermorning

No idea how I have power this morning. Went out multiple times last night. Was out shooting and blue/green powerflashes lit up the sky on multiple occasions. Trees in my neighbor's yard are down on their house, with one of their trees laying into our yard. Part of our front tree broke off as well and is dangling from our powerline. Lots of tree damage in the area, and I would imagine some powerlines down near here as well. While I was filming last night and this morning, there was a constant cracking of trees. Going to take a longer walk around the area to see all the damage in a little bit. 

It's just horrid here right now. At least 1/2" of ice. I am extremely blessed to have power. You can here branches are snapping and falling like 1 per minute. I awoke to one falling & felt like an minor earthquake. Thank God I don't have any tree next to my house!!!

Stebo ... great call on the forecast as I know you called this Ice storm out several days out!! Hats off to you :thumbsup:

I was a bit off on the placement though, I did originally think the entire metro Detroit area was under the gun. Cold air didn't catch up in time for those along the water.

Interestingly enough though with all the rain we got here at my house, I still have 2" of glacier left, so it will be a white Christmas here.

Highest reports in the area.

0751 AM SNOW LOVES PARK 42.34N 89.01W
12/22/2013 U6.0 INCH WINNEBAGO IL TRAINED SPOTTER

RELAYED VIA WREX.

0731 AM SNOW AFTON 42.60N 89.07W
12/22/2013 M4.1 INCH ROCK WI CO-OP OBSERVER

STILL SNOWING

0732 AM SNOW FRANKLIN 42.90N 87.99W
12/22/2013 M3.1 INCH MILWAUKEE WI TRAINED SPOTTER

STILL SNOWING.

0754 AM SNOW 1 E ROCKFORD 42.27N 89.04W
12/22/2013 U5.0 INCH WINNEBAGO IL TRAINED SPOTTER

RELAYED VIA WREX

It's just horrid here right now. At least 1/2" of ice. I am extremely blessed to have power. You can here branches are snapping and falling like 1 per minute. I awoke to one falling & felt like an minor earthquake. Thank God I don't have any tree next to my house!!!

Stebo ... great call on the forecast as I know you called this Ice storm out several days out!! Hats off to you :thumbsup: I was a bit off on the placement though, I did originally think the entire metro Detroit area was under the gun. Cold air didn't catch up in time for those along the water.

Interestingly enough though with all the rain we got here at my house, I still have 2" of glacier left, so it will be a white Christmas here.

There will be quite a bit if LES showers to guarantee a white Christmas for many in SE Michigan.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Archived