amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 21-23rd Winter Storm Part 4

Chicago Storm

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought the snow was ending, but it's ramping back up!

250,000 customers w/o power in the GTA.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/12/22/toronto_weather_250000_customers_without_power_as_gta_freezes_in_ice_storm.html

Roughly 250,000 customers are in the dark across the city and it could take up to three days for power to be fully restored, according to Toronto Hydro.

Crews are working to restore power after more than 90 large-scale outages after heavy freezing rain knocked out power lines and downed trees. Torontonians are warned to plan for outages lasting up to 72 hours.

Any Ontario posters that are reading this - take care! Looks ugly over there.

ORD should be good.....TOILET

MDW mixer party...MANTLE

and i'll get my special sleet moving shovel ready for MBY....TOILET (ended up with a .25" of snow not sleet)

Fun storm to track....crap storm to experience (IMBY-wise)...snowpack held which is nice for Christmas for the kids...and the .25 inches of cement on everything this morning looks very nice since it stuck to every little branch and nook and cranny...

props to LOT for handling a very tricky situation very well...with the added stress due to proximity to the holidays and travel days...all in all forecasted very well by the office and numerous pros on here considering the more abundant flip floppy nature of the models leading up to this system's impacts

cheers and happy holidays

Sitting at 0C here, doesn't seem like any ice is accreting anymore, maybe a very slow melt. Doesn't matter though. Damage is already done. Lost power for a while earlier this morning. Lots of trees down. Was speaking to a fire fighter who was dealing with downed power lines a block away and he said it was the worst ice storm he has seen.

Sitting at 0C here, doesn't seem like any ice is accreting anymore, maybe a very slow melt. Doesn't matter though. Damage is already done. Lost power for a while earlier this morning. Lots of trees down. Was speaking to a fire fighter who was dealing with downed power lines a block away and he said it was the worst ice storm he has seen.

Doubt there will be any melting.

Damage is far from over, too. Winds are forecast and time is the real damage. Trees can only handle it for so long. We haven't even peaked from the damage yet.

Doubt there will be any melting.

Damage is far from over, too. Winds are forecast and time is the real damage. Trees can only handle it for so long. We haven't even peaked from the damage yet.

We've had strong winds all night, likely leading to the amount of damage I have seen thus far. And I do agree, it is not over. Still constant cracking of trees in my neighbourgood. Was about 5 ft away from being hit by a falling tree.

Wow it looks beautiful outside. You dont see scenes like this. 2 trees in the park near my house toppled over last night.

After losing power yesterday for about 1.5 hours, I miraculously did not lose power last night. Im thankful I still have power. :)

Im hearing about numerous flight cancelations at YYZ. Wow! Sucks for the holiday travelers.

Hows everyone else doing? Stay safe and happy holidays :)

Wow it looks beautiful outside. You dont see scenes like this. 2 trees in the park near my house toppled over last night.

After losing power yesterday for about 1.5 hours, I miraculously did not lose power last night. Im thankful I still have power. :)

Im hearing about numerous flight cancelations at YYZ. Wow! Sucks for the holiday travelers.

Hows everyone else doing? Stay safe and happy holidays :)

Enjoy the power while you still can. Winds picking up here and lights already flickering

About 1.5" here -- just about what I expected going to bed last night.  A bit of accretion on the trees, and that led to a couple of loose branches being knocked to the ground.  I heard sleet, as well, around 0400.  

We'll see if that vort max progged for this evening can't give a lot of areas another 1/2"-1" of snow.  Also, I'm getting a little more interested in that northwest-flow shortwave trough on Tuesday night into Wednesday -- all the ingredients, except moisture, will likely be in place, and I think 1"-2", perhaps up to 3", might be a good early guess for that.  

Here in Christie :Pits area of Toronto  didn't lose power at all, not a flicker.

Spoke to friends on the Danforth and even in Oshawa and they all lost power.

Could be a couple of days.

A very rare event here in T.O.

December 21-22, 2013 will be a date remembered here.

Transformers are blowing. The lights just went really dim followed by a "bwooooomp" buzz sound. Popped back out front, and more branches are down in the road. A senior gentlemen passing by offered me a ride, which was kind to see. The winds seem to be picking up which is causing more trees to break.

Archived