CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December 14/15 winter storm threat

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I'm not positive I think 700/850 are mid levels. 850 is about 5,000 feet so it would be hard for me to conjure that as low level.

Think of it this way:

300: jet stream

500: 18,000

700: 10,000

850: 5,000

925: 2,000

Thanks all. Yeah Thats the order I would have thought but those altitude #'s are novel...good stuff.

Would love to see the Op Euro verify. As was stated, it was definitely not as dynamic as the 12z run yesterday. The southern stream more sheared out and less well defined.

Yeah that's about as good as it can get for us. I noticed that the trend has been to weaken the Storm. Don't really want that to continue much more

I'm half awake and haven't looked at much yet, but the euro op/6z gfs look dynamically weaker. We get less of a front end thump and it becomes more of a prolonged -SN/OCNL SN. At least the ecens are juicier than the op. Anyways, hopefully we don't see vort swinging through weakening again as we approach T-0hr. This probably works out better for far SE folks though. I'll take the 0z GGEM though.

Even the mighty weenie model of the 6z DGEX seemed to get pretty week and crapped out from some huge QPF runs yesterday, lol. The 6z GFS is much, much weaker but still a wintery weekend with prolonged light snow.

12z runs should be interesting if this trend continues with a weaker short-wave.

I'm perfectly fine with a long duration event of 6" that remains all snow. Certainly one of the many options on the table.

A good event to diligently measure every 6 hours and add 'em together to make sure you get more snow than your neighbor who measures once at the end of 30 hours of -SN lol ;).

Leon didn't like wound up systems either. Just long duration overrunning events that gave us a winter for the ages.

Fast flow generally doesn't like big wound up systems...during years like '07-'08 and '08-'09, we generally kept everything moving quickly in the SWFE regime.

This one is likely to be similar...doesn't mean it won't redevelop off the coast, it probably will, but it should be pretty quick and likely not have time to deepen into this deep bomb that hooks left up into BOS or something.

So far not a pattern that usually favors the big wound up lows which is fine by me.

Yeah, it's been tough to get timing right between the jet branches so I would tend to favor a more sheared out look as opposed to a full blown coastal.  Subject to change.  We do have quite a few positives working for us with this one as opposed to the last one.  Little bit later into season, better antecedent airmass, snowcover, and also I think the northern stream will also keep this from running up into the GL.

Fast flow generally doesn't like big wound up systems...during years like '07-'08 and '08-'09, we generally kept everything moving quickly in the SWFE regime.

This one is likely to be similar...doesn't mean it won't redevelop off the coast, it probably will, but it should be pretty quick and likely not have time to deepen into this deep bomb that hooks left up into BOS or something.

When I see the progs for overrunning all day Saturday culminating in a January 1994 type of event I get goosebumps. Every 20 years?

He might be referring to a parade of systems that keep him as snow rather than the frequent tainting that takes place with the wound up systems.

Oh I'm sure he meant in relation to a wound up system that snows to the north...that it'll end up further southeast so I-84 gets jackpotted...but I'm laughing because if something shows a KU for most of New England, I have a hard time believing he'd be on board for a weaker wave that's snowier in Maryland and New Jersey. It's all relative to where the wound up storm is progged to go that a weaker wave would end up "snowier."

Well it's silly to speculate details, but if we did see that combo of overrunning and OES...that would be a good event for sure. Don't underestimate those moods snow. That's a good snow sounding despite the QPF.

Those radar loops in that set up are very cool on a mesoscale if you get the east-west moving OE returns under a more broad WAA shield going WSW to ENE.

You said any model that shows a KU will not verify and that weaker, snowier waves would be the rule. I was just joking with you to try to see how a weaker wave would be snowier than a modeled KU.

Yeah meaning I think the liklihood of a bomb or KU this winter is low..very low.and we'll instead have plenty of waves and weaker systems like the one yesterday and the one tis weekend..Waves that can drop 3-6 or 4-8 or maybe a 6-12 type deal. Just no bombs like last year

Archived