joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14/15 winter storm threat

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question Ginxy what keeps this storm from going southeast with the cold pushing down, or having it cut north over Buffalo? There is really no --NAO at least that I know of? What will make it take the track that all of these models are showing? Wouldn't it favor the track that the last couple of impulses have taken down through the MA and graze the New England area? Or the cutter track that occurred during thanksgiving where if that happened probably front snow and ice and then rain once the warm air came in.

blocking high, cold heavy dense air prevents the vortmax from charging N, causing energy transfer to the coast, where that occurs is critical. Upper air flow then dictates a SW to NE movement. Nothing is locked in though but with Ens support it Appears this is classic Miller B transfer.

IMHO, that large, immaculately positioned (on current guidance) +pp is simply not going to permit an all-out, unmitigated disaster, save for potentially se MA and the s coast.

Worst case scenario is that the mid levels fly through w ne, or even nys, but the slp is elongated and forced to redevelop along the s coast and track through se MA....which still produces a significant event to the n and w of Boston, and even a few inches of glue in Boston proper.

blocking high, cold heavy dense air prevents the vortmax from charging N, causing energy transfer to the coast, where that occurs is critical. Upper air flow then dictates a SW to NE movement. Nothing is locked in though but with Ens support it Appears this is classic Miller B transfer.

Exactly.

IMHO, that large, immaculately positioned (on current guidance) +pp is simply not going to permit an all-out, unmitigated disaster, save for potentially se MA and the s coast.

Worst case scenario is that the mid levels fly through w ne, or even nys, but the slp is elongated and forced to redevelop along the s coast and track through se MA....which still produces a significant event to the n and w of Boston, and even a few inches of glue in Boston proper.

Agree, thats the worst case IMO...1036mb high in northern ME doesn't allow this thing to surge up the CT River Valley. Hell, maybe not even over the Cape.

Only way this goes wrong is if that northern stream energy speeds up, forcing this thing to undergo cyclogenesis over northern VA and amplifies the 500mb flow enough to have it goes over BOS.

Saw that...how good are those analogs? I don't have much experience with them personally.

It's 12/10.  Grass is snow covered.  Multiple chances for more. Hints of quasi-vodka cold early next week?  Even with just under 2" on the season, I'm already starting to get the feeling this is going to be a special winter.

I kept stressing that Dec 2007 got going around mid month, and 2008 even later.

I would think they can collide similar to a collision coalescence way. I've seen plenty of light fluff events where the dendrites join together in huge clumps. I think most of the crystal destruction is due to snow transport (BL/DR) though.

I would think they can collide similar to a collision coalescence way. I've seen plenty of light fluff events where the dendrites join together in huge clumps. I think most of the crystal destruction is due to snow transport (BL/DR) though.

Yeah I've seen that too. I understand turbulent motion etc may disturb flakes, but I've yet to see pulverized flakes. I've been through plenty of wind events containing snow.

Yeah I've seen that too. I understand turbulent motion etc may disturb flakes, but I've yet to see pulverized flakes. I've been through plenty of wind events containing snow.

Yeah...I think when Will and I mention pulverized crystals we're strictly referring to damage after they've landed.

I'd imagine that the upslope itself negates the wind factor...not the case here.

In what way do you mean?  The snow can come in sideways, but maybe its formed in a less turbulant are of the atmosphere, allowing the dendrites to grow?  I would imagine the stuff has to collide sufficiently with each other to break up the flakes. 

Archived