Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December 14/15 winter storm threat

Typhoon Tip

You read my mind.

Cardinal sin to forecast over a foot when the H7 low is west....some pros just can not grasp that seemingly rudimentary concept, and it's more than you think.

Absurd.

This would have to redevelop entirely quite early on...thus major changes needed, but even if that potential exists, why go there right now? lol

I'd be just starting to hint at 6"+ potential right now...

March 1-2, 2009 immediately comes to mind....many more...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You read my mind.

Cardinal sin to forecast over a foot when the H7 low is west....some pros just can not grasp that seemingly rudimentary concept, and it's more than you think.

Absurd.

This would have to redevelop entirely quite early on...thus major changes needed, but even if that potential exists, why go there right now? lol

I'd be just starting to hint at 6"+ potential right now...

There's select setups where we can grab 12"+ with that H7 track...but obviously the odds are against it. Heck, you managed to do it on 12/21/08, though obviously the CF enhancement was a big part of it.

Right now, I'd probably be hinting at plowable snow and a wintry mess...and that's about it.

There's select setups where we can grab 12"+ with that H7 track...but obviously the odds are against it. Heck, you managed to do it on 12/21/08, though obviously the CF enhancement was a big part of it.

Right now, I'd probably be hinting at plowable snow and a wintry mess...and that's about it.

I'm talking widespread 12-18".....not a few spot 13-14"ers....

The system must be in the latter stages of redevelopment for that to occur.

General rule of thumb....obviously an H7 low to the west and 13" of snow aren't entirely mutually exclusive lol

Very primitive, general map...didn't divulge much.

Just had an area of "heaviest snow from the Berkshires through VT/NH.

Had snow to mix/rain for most of sne.

Seemingly going w climo, which is not a bad hedge at this early juncture.

Thanks Ray. Hs thoughts make perfect sense. 4-8 would be thrilling to me. Get the snow down and seal it with sleet....lol.

I'm talking widespread 12-18".....not a few spot 13-14"ers....

The system must be in the latter stages of redevelopment for that to occur.

General rule of thumb....obviously an H7 low to the west and 13" of snow aren't entirely mutually exclusive lol

One of my favorites "west H7 track" storms that produced 12"+ was 1/3-4/96. Often overlooked because of the KU event just a few days later. That storm was a long duration one too with overrunning and an awesome high pressure to the north with a stiff latitude gradient.

For the newbies, and those who just don't know....think of a low pressure system as a cylinder stretching from se to nw throughout all levels of the atmosphere.....surface being lowest, and furthest se, and H7 being highest, and furthest nw....you want to be just to the nw of the entire cylinder...ie, just nw of the H7 low.

Obviously, as a major cyclone matures, the surface and H7 become vertically stacked, and it occludes, but systems at their most prolific stages are elongated se to nw throughout the atmosphere.

One of my favorites "west H7 track" storms that produced 12"+ was 1/3-4/96. Often overlooked because of the KU event just a few days later. That storm was a long duration one too with overrunning and an awesome high pressure to the north with a stiff latitude gradient.

Right....it can happen via very intense isentropic lift, but I'd much rather take my chances with a deformation band.

Like I said, rule-of-thumb...

Right....it can happen via very intense isentropic lift, but I'd much rather take my chances with a deformation band.

Like I said, rule-of-thumb...

Yeah, i wasn't disagreeing with the rule of thumb...in fact I harp it all the time. I remember doing it before the 2/2/11 event. :lol:

But those long overrunning episodes before the main event are always fun. The '96 storm was good memories. Same with Feb '94.

Yeah, i wasn't disagreeing with the rule of thumb...in fact I harp it all the time. I remember doing it before the 2/2/11 event. :lol:

But those long overrunning episodes before the main event are always fun. The '96 storm was good memories. Same with Feb '94.

2/2/11 had some awful meteorology being put out. 20-24" in srn NH with H7 goin through NY. :lol:

If anything, it serves as an even greater indictment on a pro met dropping a "foot+ blockbuster bomb" @ 5 days lead.....at least do it when h7 isn't modeled over Quebec lol

If anything, it serves as an even greater indictment on a pro met dropping a "foot+ blockbuster bomb" @ 5 days lead.....at least do it when h7 isn't modeled over Quebec lol

Of course you know this means the thing is going to nuke out S of MVY and dump us with 15" after long duration overrunning on Saturday...and make this convo look pretty stupid....even though the meterology is sound. :lol:

I guess I wouldn't complain about that really though.

Archived