• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 14/15 winter storm threat

Typhoon Tip

Check out this sounding on Saturday...this is what makes me extremely happy to see hours of overrunning if its anywhere close to accurate

131211155800.gif

yeah that's a nice sounding. euro is slower so not as prolific. it doesn't really saturate until sometime after 00z (06z sounding is better). here's euro at 12z sat orh:

post-218-0-69027800-1386778468_thumb.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do hope that the lead s.w doesn't crap the bed...but I thought it was a wee bit stronger. To me, the flow ahead of it was flatter than 06z, but if you noticed..it tried to hang back a bit of moisture on Sunday. If that lead s/w can keep things going...then the levels near and above 850 won't warm as rapidly.  This will be something where it may stay below 20 from Ray to ORH.

Ukie looks nice at 72h...more robust than the GFS actually.  

131211161545969260000.gif

131211161432775393000.gif

Anyone know what the ratios on the GFS would be? May be one of those situations where .5-.75 inches of QPF produces a foot of snow in places.

GFS would have very good ratios for a good chunk of the storm...they deteriorate a bit later on as the mid-levels warm, but probably at least half of the QPF on the GFS would be 18 to 1 ratios or better.

But that type of stuff can change from run to run so figuring out ratios this far out is usually a futile effort. The very cold high pressure though that leaves much of the column wetbulb temps in the -10C to -18C range does give some increased confidence that we might see a period of higher ratios.

GFS would have very good ratios for a good chunk of the storm...they deteriorate a bit later on as the mid-levels warm, but probably at least half of the QPF on the GFS would be 18 to 1 ratios or better.

But that type of stuff can change from run to run so figuring out ratios this far out is usually a futile effort. The very cold high pressure though that leaves much of the column wetbulb temps in the -10C to -18C range does give some increased confidence that we might see a period of higher ratios.

Thanks! Light density snow is so fun to play in.

anyone got start times in my area?  Hosting an afternoon party, might have to make it a breakfast party...lol

I'm sure it would be fine. It's not like we're in Texas where a few inches of snow prevents people from getting around. If this ends up like yesterday's event where the average rate of accumulation is 1/3-1/2 inch/hour then roads will be fine just like they were yesterday. That said, I think 3 PM +/- a couple of hours for us is a good first guess for start time considering we're still three days away.

I'm sure it would be fine. It's not like we're in Texas where a few inches of snow prevents people from getting around. If this ends up like yesterday's event where the average rate of accumulation is 1/3-1/2 inch/hour then roads will be fine just like they were yesterday. That said, I think 3 PM +/- a couple of hours for us is a good first guess for start time considering we're still three days away.

Yeah, I agree,a few will bail since they won't drive in anything, but 3pm is fine, would mean an a few inches at best during the late afternoon hours with most of the storm at night.

The thing is, it will be much much colder then yesterday. Roads accum much easier and salting doesnt do much.

The thing is, it will be much much colder then yesterday. Roads accum much easier and salting doesnt do much.

There would prob be a big temp gradient between his area and even N CT in this setup. It could be near freezing down there and around 20F 30 miles to the north

Man, CMC is a long duration and prolific snow producer even with a bit of taint. I'd lock that! Snows all weekend essentially.

Jerry--dare I ask??  :)

There would prob be a big temp gradient between his area and even N CT in this setup. It could be near freezing down there and around 20F 30 miles to the north

Yes--that would be a little nipply from northern ORH county through GC and pionts north.

Speaking of nipply, quite the cold bustery day out there today.

This might be stupid question but that shows down this way in the mid to upper 30's correct?

Yes and it may be correct, but the point is that it's probably going to be too quick to warm, too far west with the warmth...etc. If we have heavier precip falling that will also help keep the coast a bit cooler with more dynamical cooling.

Archived