CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December 14/15 winter storm threat

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not enough people old enough to have the palpable thrill of Leon in their hearts. At least us coastie's. Ray is a big event man as we all are but years on earth teach you to appreciate the middling but duration episodes.

I remember '94 just fine...great winter, but frustrating to watch s Weymouth get like 20", while I had like 6".

BTW, WTF is Leon??

I remember '94 just fine...great winter, but frustrating to watch s Weymouth get like 20", while I had like 6".

BTW, WTF is Leon??

Jerry has started calling his favorite winter "Leon" in reference to the 1993 Thanksgiving Snow Game in Dallas that kicked off that winter. Leon Lett lost the game at the end on a huge blunder.

Biggest 12z runs of the year... Ha

Hoping the high pressure and cold stay modeled as strong

I'm not worried about the modeled cold for the majority of us.  My concern is with the southern stream s/w getting put thru the meat grinder(confluence),  If we can get that to remain intact along the southern tier states, we should do just fine.

FWIW I see what he is saying...but I'll take any snow.

I was just curious what flags he saw. in my opinion..if I was on the coast and I saw last nite's run i woukd be ecstatic because they were snowier and colder for that area.

I guess the only flag I could see is if this is a trend or on ot on lowering the qpf..Either way it seems most folks will see 6+

I was just curious what flags he saw. in my opinion..if I was on the coast and I saw last nite's run i woukd be ecstatic because they were snowier and colder for that area.

I guess the only flag I could see is if this is a trend or on ot on lowering the qpf..Either way it seems most folks will see 6+

He's basically a little unsure of this S/W interaction. In other words, it's possible it may be more weak and strung out. At least I think....I don't want to put words in his mouth.

well...i like snow...so it's not like i don't "like" the idea of it being colder. my "fear" is the initial shortwave that was really giving a good thump of dynamics on yesterday's runs has trended weaker overnight (even more on the 12z gfs actually). if that's there, but weak, i could see it producing some light snows but then working to taint the atmosphere a bit then any follow-up shortwave is not as productive. 

well...i like snow...so it's not like i don't "like" the idea of it being colder. my "fear" is the initial shortwave that was really giving a good thump of dynamics on yesterday's runs has trended weaker overnight (even more on the 12z gfs actually). if that's there, but weak, i could see it producing some light snows but then working to taint the atmosphere a bit then any follow-up shortwave is not as productive. 

yeah, lead wave is dampening out.

Yeah I love that. I'll take that with cold winds off the water please.

That's the kind of stuff that gives you 3" of fluff with 0.12" of qpf or something. That deep of a saturated snow growth layer is going to produce big time...and yeah, you throw in some onshore flow with -12C 925 temps, that is even better.

That's the kind of stuff that gives you 3" of fluff with 0.12" of qpf or something. That deep of a saturated snow growth layer is going to produce big time...and yeah, you throw in some onshore flow with -12C 925 temps, that is even better.

I do hope that the lead s.w doesn't crap the bed...but I thought it was a wee bit stronger. To me, the flow ahead of it was flatter than 06z, but if you noticed..it tried to hang back a bit of moisture on Sunday. If that lead s/w can keep things going...then the levels near and above 850 won't warm as rapidly.  This will be something where it may stay below 20 from Ray to ORH.

This is true--but spread out over a relatively long stretch of time allows that fluff to settle.  But, will sure be easy to clean off the cars.  Lots of powder in the face from the snowblower.

post-462-0-81995500-1386778268_thumb.jpg

Archived