joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14/15 winter storm threat

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was expecting scroll and scroll....and scroll. There are actually only that many? j/k

No two alike, just like fingerprints. Image how many flakes it takes to cover the landscape?

I know the answer: A half-dozen AMWX weenie posters.  

Should be an interesting revealing 00Z model suite soon.

. So, no grinder. Yeah, I guess I recall Brian or Will mentioning that.

What recent good sized event did we have where everything was ground up?

I thought one of the blizzard we had caused the flakes to be ground up because of the wind...at least that is the way I remember it.  I want to say the boxing day storm...

. So, no grinder. Yeah, I guess I recall Brian or Will mentioning that.

What recent good sized event did we have where everything was ground up?

Well it's real hard for flakes to be pulverized because I do think they sort of ride with the flow and also static electricity helps keep the flake together(?).

Well it's real hard for flakes to be pulverized because I do think they sort of ride with the flow and also static electricity helps keep the flake together(?).

I would think they can collide similar to a collision coalescence way. I've seen plenty of light fluff events where the dendrites join together in huge clumps. I think most of the crystal destruction is due to snow transport (BL/DR) though.

The whole wind crushing flakes to diminish ratios is interesting...it makes sense, but yet it doesn't. If it were true, all the snow we get on the mountain would be lower ratio. I mean I've seen 30-40:1 ratios achieved with 40-60mph winds at summit level, quite frequently actually as our upslope is best with 30-50mph NW flow.

I've seen huge drifting of very low ratio snow, too, and it doesn't see to really matter. I think ratios are more a function completely of the flake type and size. You get large, well formed dendrites and it'll pile up no matter how strong the wind is. Might have to do with how strong the bond is between the arms of the crystal and the center maybe? I have no idea, but I can easily dispute the wind and poor ratio correlation from my experiences on the mountain.

The whole wind crushing flakes to diminish ratios is interesting...it makes sense, but yet it doesn't. If it were true, all the snow we get on the mountain would be lower ratio. I mean I've seen 30-40:1 ratios achieved with 40-60mph winds at summit level, quite frequently actually as our upslope is best with 30-50mph NW flow.

I've seen huge drifting of very low ratio snow, too, and it doesn't see to really matter. I think ratios are more a function completely of the flake type and size. You get large, well formed dendrites and it'll pile up no matter how strong the wind is. Might have to do with how strong the bond is between the arms of the crystal and the center maybe? I have no idea, but I can easily dispute the wind and poor ratio correlation from my experiences on the mountain.

Good point

I'd imagine that the upslope itself negates the wind factor...not the case here.

synoptic says you are missing the boat on the type of storm this is. But I agree ice is a huge concern even with heavy front end snow.

I have a question Ginxy what keeps this storm from going southeast with the cold pushing down, or having it cut north over Buffalo?  There is really no --NAO at least that I know of?  What will make it take the track that all of these models are showing?  Wouldn't it favor the track that the last couple of impulses have taken down through the MA and graze the New England area?  Or the cutter track that occurred during thanksgiving where if that happened probably front snow and ice and then rain once the warm air came in.

Archived