joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14/15 winter storm threat

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It means that the typical over-amplified UKMET ...isn't.

Has to do with juggling bias types in the various models. If a model that is typical over-amplified comes in slightly suppressed, that should be an intriguing aspect. In this case, it may signal less support for westerly positions.

Likewise as devils advocate...when the usually suppressed NOGAPS is amped...it can lend support to the westward solutions.

It means that the typical over-amplified UKMET ...isn't.

Has to do with juggling bias types in the various models.   If a model that is typical over-amplified comes in slightly suppressed, that should be an intriguing aspect.  In this case, it may signal less support for westerly positions.  

Thanks for explaining, John--I couldn't follow the initial statement.

Euro ensembles amped up. Over the Cape.

I am okay with this.  Is that similar placement to the amped GFS ensembles as well?

It's nice to see the multiple model support for an event. In another 24-48 hours, we may have some excited folks posting.

25.2/22

Yeah for sure...I just meant what they showed. That's an awesome high pressure placement.

When you have a 1040 high sitting smack over Montreal or just a bit N and -14C 850 temps 12 hours before the onset, it is going to be very difficult to get a lot of liquid precip out of that.

When you have a 1040 high sitting smack over Montreal or just a bit N and -14C 850 temps 12 hours before the onset, it is going to be very difficult to get a lot of liquid precip out of that.

Completely agree here, and also... we have a snow pack now, and these deep polar air mass are not going to be in any hurry to modify.  

A lot of these details are not really even in the granularity of a 130 hour outlook, but as a winter weather enthusiast you gotta like where things stand for the time being. 

Likewise as devils advocate...when the usually suppressed NOGAPS is amped...it can lend support to the westward solutions.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Actually, the "suppressed" NOGAPs is why it has that solution, I'd argue.  The reason being is that it was suppressed with the amount of leading polar high NNW of Maine, that is more heavily agreed upon by the other operational types -- supported by confluence leading... It's not have enough +PP in that region feeds (also) back on a warmer solution.   It also allows more warmth to conveyor into the GL prior to, and that's why the low is dominant there.  

The airmass has trended colder on the front side for like 3 straight ensemble runs. Which is typical of when we have an arctic high with that placement.

When I saw that location on the Op run, I was stoked.  Maybe we can see it come in a bit stronger.  Would be nice to get a Miller B with a side of southern stream juice.  Feels like forever and a day since we've had one.

Thanks for explaining, John--I couldn't follow the initial statement.

Yeah ... that was my bad.  In standard English, "meridional" pertains to meridians, but in Met parlance it is used to describe flows that have more N-S character (think flow that crosses the meridians ).    

It was actually kind of a mistake on my part to refer to the UKMET as having an amplitude bias... It isn't so much the "amplitude" of it's S/W and L/W, its the meridional flow construct that it has a bias with.   Important to remember, high amplitude waves do not always posses a lot of curvilinear form in the geopotential medium.   In 1986, in the 2nd week of November, a flat wave with a 45 vort max careened off the NJ Coast in the wee hours of the morning, and induced bombogenesis in a progressive wave; much of the region wound up with warning snows, nearing 18" in SE Mass...   Yet the isoheights showed only a mere dent when it was cutting through Ohio earlier the preceding afternoon. Thundersnow at Cleveland was hint that the sucker was one dynamic mo-fo' 

Even the GFS is really, really cold in the boundary layer. 

Yeah I noticed that which is weird for that model. :lol:

This is a legit mid-winter arctic airmass. If we can keep the high location fairly consistent, then its going to be a pretty major winter system for most of the region. Details on where snow/sleet/ZR location and duration to be determined later.

Archived