Newest Member
    Toothache
December 14/15 winter storm threat

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ripe for front end thump on that setup.

Goes on to a Miller B type thing, and then perhaps flips back...  

Anyway, the signal is loud enough to really start monitoring this thing.   For me it is the most important system for the season thus far.  As far as p-type and all that -- probably just let this marinade for awhile.   This run actually is about ...10% more proficiently phasing streams.   Subtle variations in the amplitude/progressivity of the ridge pushing into the WC will have an effect on the amount and trajectory of N stream diving into the NP while the southern stream impulse is zipping east underneath.  It's pretty precarious already, and just a little bump east with the interaction axis of the two streams would commit more to redevelopment, sooner, ...still inside the envelope of possibilities. 

What can the Coastal folks hope for as far as strength or High pressure position to stay mostly snow (understanding it's 5 days out)

Everyone looking for snow and lots of it ;)

I think for you to stay snow you want this to stay progressive, or somehow get a much earlier redevelopment.  If there's a primary low going over PA and western NY, I don't think there's really a chance... but in classic SWFE style, you want to take advantage of the front end thump (GFS looks like it would have almost low end warning snows from the Pike north on the front end, but details are useless at this time frame) and hope most of the QPF falls as frozen then temps rise with a dryslot. 

I think you'd want more western ridging too, to counter the SE ridge and force the system a little east. 

Patterns performing as patterns

lol yep... it looks similar to what this last event looked like at 5 days lead time.  Hopefully this one can keep the juice and not see the slow reduction of QPF as this last one ended up doing.  I doubt that'll be the case with this one though.  The overall idea though looks similar with a SWFE feel.  18z GFS is funny because its not that far from a solid Miller B type hit, but its also not far from being an ugly cutter, lol. 

lol yep... it looks similar to what this last event looked like at 5 days lead time.  Hopefully this one can keep the juice and not see the slow reduction of QPF as this last one ended up doing.  I doubt that'll be the case with this one though.  The overall idea though looks similar with a SWFE feel.  18z GFS is funny because its not that far from a solid Miller B type hit, but its also not far from being an ugly cutter, lol. 

Nah, this is a completely different scenario, actually.  We didn't see a rise in the PNA, preceding this ... signaling a pattern transition; one that NCEP has also recognized in their discussion earlier today. 

This is a two stream involvement, where this last thing never even had vorticity advection -- even last week.  

Nah, this is a completely different scenario, actually.  We didn't see a rise in the PNA, preceding this ... signaling a pattern transition; one that NCEP has also recognized in their discussion earlier today. 

This is a two stream involvement, where this last thing never even had vorticity advection -- even last week.  

Yeah this one looks way juicier than last system...even at 5 days lead...there evolution is more classic with the vortmax energy much closer to home riding throuhg OH Valley and up near us versus over Wisconsin via the four corners.

With 1030+ MB high situated N and not moving, and a secondary going S of ISP, I don't see this going to straight rain given the initially cold BL we have to work with...  Snow to mix/kitchen sink, then ends for SNE.  But for up N, yeah, "this run" is solid.  

Obviously subject to change. 

The 00z GFS ensembles seem to have a good deal of amped members, I would assume the mean looks pretty decent though for the interior and especially CNE/NNE.  Some of these though would even present p-type issues all the way to Canada.

Anyone have the ECM ensembles?

attachicon.giff120.gif

attachicon.giff132.gif

Looking at ensembles at this time range, I'm fully ready to be flirting with p-type issues out here in GC after a few inches of front-end.  So far out though, I'm not too concerned.  Close enough though that I'm anxioiusly awaiting every new model run!

The 00z GFS ensembles seem to have a good deal of amped members, I would assume the mean looks pretty decent though for the interior and especially CNE/NNE.  Some of these though would even present p-type issues all the way to Canada.

Anyone have the ECM ensembles?

attachicon.giff120.gif

attachicon.giff132.gif

Euro ensembles had almost no actual cutters again. Looked like only a couple of members.

Archived