12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter 2013 - 2014 Banter Thread

NEG NAO

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats been the word on the NE sub forum streets that he/she is thinking their indeed the second coming and demanding instant respect....the ban hammer will drop eventually as it is always hanging from above lol

I hope so. He (Nick svankovics or something if you look at his site) is on such s high horse and the second you politely disagree he preaches to you about how he still not be disagreed with in any way

I just think you shrug some of this stuff off and if there are specific people you don't like just skip their stuff.

I'm only on the board for 4 years so it's better I stay seen and not heard.

Better to let the longer dated members sort it. All I can say is the arguing gets embarrassing when other forums mock this jernt .

If you really don't like someone you have that right. All I say is just try to keep it civil

I guess I've just always believed that you should conduct yourself online the way you would in person. I can remember many the spirited debate back in the weather station in the good ole Walker building but it never turned into a fight nor was anyone disrespected.

Civility breeds civility.  That means not waiting for the other guy to be civil first.

I guess I've just always believed that you should conduct yourself online the way you would in person. I can remember many the spirited debate back in the weather station in the good ole Walker building but it never turned into a fight nor was anyone disrespected.

Yup, that's how it should be. Being a troll and what not online is a serious serious character flaw.

WAYYY too many people here just havent learned internet behavior it seems. Not everyone is going to play fair, if they dont if you feed the trolls pages and pages of what forky/yanksfan have been doing will occur. Me personally both arent that bad of members and do add to the forum postively, forky just LOVES to stir the pot though in an incidous way :lol:

People let emotion take over the way they post too often on here. It leads to bickering and trolling which can destroy an entire thread. I remember having to delete literally a dozen posts or more at once prior to the 2/13 storm, and at other times it was worse. I show emotion also (believe me, I was steaming on the morning of 2/13 when I changed over to rain/sleet hours before anyone else and watched the quickly piling up snow turn to mush), but when you post it to a forum that many other people read including professionals in the field, you have to act appropriately and put it in the right thread. Our subforum is a laughingstock sometimes because of these posting habits.

Humor fine. .. saying it's gonna be a huge hit (like I've seen numerous people say... Only to have it be a dud) is ridiculous and that stuff should absolutely be cut out. In that regard I agree with Forky that there is nothing added to the forum with that

Agree.

Conversely, there have been a few storms over the last few years that have trended in our direction late, after various posters including forky wrote those storms off. 

Holding out for a long shot isn't wishcasting.

And writing off a storm completely when there is an outside chance that the storm may hit...is wishcasting.

Agree.

Conversely, there have been a few storms over the last few years that have trended in our direction late, after various posters including forky wrote those storms off.

And writing off a storm completely when there is an outside chance that the storm may hit...is wishcasting.

I disagree. If every model shows no snow 72 hours out and I forecast no snow how is that wishcasting? It doesn't mean its being written off as a possibility its just a very low risk.

Part of the problem this month was the unwillingness to write off a threat that was clearly dead because x storm came north at the last minute so y storm would have to do the same

Agree.

Well yes I agree with you but I was referring to model analysis when people look at one frame and claim it's gonna bea huge run before the run even finishes through. Only to have the fun wind up sucking. That stuff absolutely must stop.

I disagree. If every model shows no snow 72 hours out and I forecast no snow how is that wishcasting? It doesn't mean its being written off as a possibility its just a very low risk.

Part of the problem this month was the unwillingness to write off a threat that was clearly dead because x storm came north at the last minute so y storm would have to do the same

Generically speaking(not nescesarily talking about this storm), If you don't write off completely a low risk storm then you don't disagree with what I said.

Well yes I agree with you but I was referring to model analysis when people look at one frame and claim it's gonna bea huge run before the run even finishes through. Only to have the fun wind up sucking. That stuff absolutely must stop.

I agree but I think we've had less of that recently. Folks got better as the winter went on.

No, I wasn't around back then.

Some of DT's rants were hysterical because of the bad spelling, caps, and intensity of the posts but it got old after a while. The fighting here in this thread gave me a good laugh-I'm glad we didn't disappoint once again in the bickering department. :lol:

I remember that old board and the cross posting and the D.T. performances. 

Intersting to note, considering the present, on Joe Bastardi's (then) free commentary on Accu weather he advised his readers to look up a bright, young Meteorologist and go to his WXRisk sight. Mr. Bastardi actually sang the praises of and directed people to Dave Tolleris.

I remember, on a later board some posters being a tad disrepectful to F.M. Martin (at the time one of the few identified professionals) One of the regular posters requested that D.T. jump in and have a "Weenie Roast" I loved it.

Sad to hear Mr. Bartlo passed. He seemed a tragic figure.

Rich

The amazon is a pretty expansive area. I'm sure there are parts that can get that cold.

With super high humidify and their claim of it being in the high 90s during the day no way in hell it got down to 49. At higher elevation sure but not down on the river where they are. And pouring and 95 is just ridiculous (of corse there exemptions but not in the amazon)

This is pretty much why it's pretty shameful that forkyfork has the met label and acts in such a manner.

lol....Forky gave good reasoned analysis for days on why the last storm was going to be a near miss and got trashed for it every time...where are the big talkers who threatened to repost his analysis when the NW trend showed up? Oh wait it didnt...but lets all forget that.

lol....Forky gave good reasoned analysis for days on why the last storm was going to be a near miss and got trashed for it every time...where are the big talkers who threatened to repost his analysis when the NW trend showed up? Oh wait it didnt...but lets all forget that.

This is a two way street here and forky gives some phenominal analysis but hes right that the majority of the member here think a NW trend is almost guaranteed with each storm without backing it with any meteorlogical reasoning. This way progged to go OTS with the jet stream alignment and trajectory. Forky did an awesome job and sadly it got lost in quite a few weenie wishcasting posts

This is a two way street here and forky gives some phenominal analysis but hes right that the majority of the member here think a NW trend is almost guaranteed with each storm without backing it with any meteorlogical reasoning. This way progged to go OTS with the jet stream alignment and trajectory. Forky did an awesome job and sadly it got lost in quite a few weenie wishcasting posts

It was fairly easy this time to see it was going to stay out to sea-the flow was much too progressive, the phasing was too late and the baroclinic zone was in a horrible place for us. We were holding out hope that one of those would change but unfortunately it was well forecasted far in advance. Blocking would have come in very handy here to slow the pattern down-this is how Boxing Day would have turned out had the record block not been in place.

This is pretty much why it's pretty shameful that forkyfork has the met label and acts in such a manner.

The posters who have been here a long time and the admins/mods almost all support him. He's always acted like this and always will, it's how it is, and he won't be going anywhere. He's right more often than he's wrong about upcoming storms, and those bashing him have their own shortcomings. Yanksfan also helped destroy threads with whining/carrying on/bickering with posters like Allsnow, and a lot of his posts had to be deleted. Everyone involved should just grow up.

The posters who have been here a long time and the admins/mods almost all support him. He's always acted like this and always will, it's how it is, and he won't be going anywhere. He's right more often than he's wrong about upcoming storms, and those bashing him have their own shortcomings. Yanksfan also helped destroy threads with whining/carrying on/bickering with posters like Allsnow, and a lot of his posts had to be deleted. Everyone involved should just grow up.

I agree here, yanksfan i can respect for not taking crap but dont do it in the serious discussion threads, take it to PM's. he does add some good stuff IMO but if someone like forky does try to stir the pot the ABSOLUTE worst thing you can do is give him more fuel for the fire. Forky has some of the best severe weather analysis though during thunderstorm season

I remember that old board and the cross posting and the D.T. performances. 

Intersting to note, considering the present, on Joe Bastardi's (then) free commentary on Accu weather he advised his readers to look up a bright, young Meteorologist and go to his WXRisk sight. Mr. Bastardi actually sang the praises of and directed people to Dave Tolleris.

I remember, on a later board some posters being a tad disrepectful to F.M. Martin (at the time one of the few identified professionals) One of the regular posters requested that D.T. jump in and have a "Weenie Roast" I loved it.

Sad to hear Mr. Bartlo passed. He seemed a tragic figure.

Rich

first of all the mouth of the south is not so young anymore - secondly -- thing I find amazing is he trashes this place and many of its posters on his facebook page and then he agrees to show up and speak  at the weather conference sponsored by this site..........

He didn't get trashed. He did however trash others in the process of telling them it was going out too sea. Was he right? Yes. The way he went about it was wrong though. Nobody seriously thought this was coming far enough nw for new York city. Nobody is arguing he knows his stuff, he obviously does, but his delivery and treatment of others significantly skew how people feel about him

He didn't get trashed. He did however trash others in the process of telling them it was going out too sea. Was he right? Yes. The way he went about it was wrong though. Nobody seriously thought this was coming far enough nw for new York city. Nobody is arguing he knows his stuff, he obviously does, but his delivery and treatment of others significantly skew how people feel about him

It's okay dude. I think Earthlight addressed it last night. Nothing is ever going to change.

I agree with your points. .. especially the "nam is going to be a huge hit" stuff when it's out to 24 hours on a storm 84 hours away. That stuff absolutely must stop and I think rules for the pbp should be implemented for next season. Many people enjoy it (myself not one of them but I see why it's done and doesn't bother me unless it's what I just mentioned) but it's done so wrong sometimes (not calling anyone out specifically). I would like to see it where pbp would be required to be strictly what the model showed verbatim. The personal interjection about "gonna bes big hit/nw/ots/rain/snow etc. Before it's played out absolutely must stop. To this regard I agree with Forky 110 percent.

It may be simpler to only do PBP for the Euro which comes out a few minutes earlier on the pay sites that everyone

may not have access to. The specific euro precip trends and amounts are helpful since the other model

precip guidance is readily available. The main time the NAM PBP can be helpful would be in convective

events cold or warm season along with SPC WRF and the HRRR and RGEM.

Archived