12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter 2013 - 2014 Banter Thread

NEG NAO

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DT was great to have around when he wasn't fighting.  Part of the problem is that there were way too many people who took it as their mission in life to push his buttons.  He doesn't know how to deal with that and the meltdowns come fast and furious.  Forky takes the same abuse from trolls in stride without skipping a beat.  I thing that is part of what bothers his detractors; they want to see a meltdown and aren't getting it.

He does belittle too much and can contribute positively much more than he does since I've seen very intelligent contributions from him in the past, but this is how he's always been and I don't see it changing. DT would be hilarious when he would have a meltdown, but he went way too far when he did with the personal attacks.

He does belittle too much and can contribute positively much more than he does since I've seen very intelligent contributions from him in the past, but this is how he's always been and I don't see it changing. DT would be hilarious when he would have a meltdown, but he went way too far when he did with the personal attacks.

No argument from me; he was a loose cannon.  However, I try never to push anyone's buttons to the extent that a mob would try and incite DT.  His behavior was very predicable and they knew exactly what to do to set him off.  Of course occasionally he would misinterpret something as an attack and go off for no good reason, but he isn't the only one on weather forums needing to improve his online social skills.

Have you been around long enough to remember Joseph Bartlo from unsenet days?  That was the worst case of internet bullying I have personally witnessed, although I see shades of it in this thread.

No argument from me; he was a loose cannon.  However, I try never to push anyone's buttons to the extent that a mob would try and incite DT.  His behavior was very predicable and they knew exactly what to do to set him off.  Of course occasionally he would misinterpret something as an attack and go off for no good reason, but he isn't the only one on weather forums needing to improve his online social skills.

Have you been around long enough to remember Joseph Bartlo from unsenet days?  That was the worst case of internet bullying I have personally witnessed, although I see shades of it in this thread.

i remember bartlo. he's dead now :(

I posted long ago about the ridge in the west and why this would go out to sea. .. Does that give me the right to troll as well lol?

even Forky would agree this was no great forecast on his part, accurate yes, but pretty easy to see if you know what you are looking at, and to be honest, just if you looked at the 100 runs models that had the storm going east.  Im sure he is a good met, though.

No, I wasn't around back then.

Some of DT's rants were hysterical because of the bad spelling, caps, and intensity of the posts but it got old after a while. The fighting here in this thread gave me a good laugh-I'm glad we didn't disappoint once again in the bickering department. :lol:

No offense but you're really not helping making matters any better.

I think the idea is that a lot of us agree with Forky's message, but maybe deliver it in a different way, and I think he would be surprised how many people will be on his side.  I remember in one of your posts, Forky, you said it doesn't matter how you say it, just what you say, and I've found in business and elsewhere that both are very important.   With that being said, Forky does bring up some very valid points.  It isn't the end of the world in the banter threads, but cleaning up the model threads, and having people 1)not guessing a model run before it is finished and having to change their position 3 times and 2) just more of a focus on being realistic and not-wishcasting.  I've said my two cents, I just have been with the boards since about 2005 over at Eastern, and I think the potential for something better is absolutely on the table.

A lot of people here are familiar with Heather A's work on correlating cool season precip events with NAO phase changes while studying under Lance Bosart at Albany:

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/2010MWR3362.1

Bartlo was another of Bosart's published students:

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/1520-0493(1991)119%3C1979%3ATSFIAB%3E2.0.CO%3B2

Interesting that the Bosart/Bartlo paper was published a couple of months before the "Perfect Storm"

im telling on you all! Earthlight will put you all in detention! ;)

I don't care for detention, we are all adults here.

YanksFan posts way too much and puts too much emotional stock into storms and cares way too much what people think of him.

Forky on the other hand is intentionally condescending and trolls people which leads to problems, especially when people care too much and can't ignore him.

And there is the magic formula as to why Forky and Yanksfan clash so much.

YanksFan posts way too much and puts too much emotional stock into storms and cares way too much what people think of him.

Forky on the other hand is intentionally condescending and trolls people which leads to problems, especially when people care too much and can't ignore him.

John,

With all due respect, several Mets have also called Forky's behavior out, and I'm not speaking about the one's that play at Citi Field.

You are wise young grasshopper.

I think the idea is that a lot of us agree with Forky's message, but maybe deliver it in a different way, and I think he would be surprised how many people will be on his side. I remember in one of your posts, Forky, you said it doesn't matter how you say it, just what you say, and I've found in business and elsewhere that both are very important. With that being said, Forky does bring up some very valid points. It isn't the end of the world in the banter threads, but cleaning up the model threads, and having people 1)not guessing a model run before it is finished and having to change their position 3 times and 2) just more of a focus on being realistic and not-wishcasting. I've said my two cents, I just have been with the boards since about 2005 over at Eastern, and I think the potential for something better is absolutely on the table.

I agree with your points. .. especially the "nam is going to be a huge hit" stuff when it's out to 24 hours on a storm 84 hours away. That stuff absolutely must stop and I think rules for the pbp should be implemented for next season. Many people enjoy it (myself not one of them but I see why it's done and doesn't bother me unless it's what I just mentioned) but it's done so wrong sometimes (not calling anyone out specifically). I would like to see it where pbp would be required to be strictly what the model showed verbatim. The personal interjection about "gonna bes big hit/nw/ots/rain/snow etc. Before it's played out absolutely must stop. To this regard I agree with Forky 110 percent.

WAYYY too many people here just havent learned internet behavior it seems. Not everyone is going to play fair, if they dont if you feed the trolls pages and pages of what forky/yanksfan have been doing will occur. Me personally both arent that bad of members and do add to the forum postively, forky just LOVES to stir the pot though in an incidous way :lol:

WAYYY too many people here just havent learned internet behavior it seems. Not everyone is going to play fair, if they dont if you feed the trolls pages and pages of what forky/yanksfan have been doing will occur. Me personally both arent that bad of members and do add to the forum postively, forky just LOVES to stir the pot though in an incidous way :lol:

I don't mind stirring the pot but 1) he's a professional and 2) sometimes it goes a bit beyond stirring the pot Imo

I agree with your points. .. especially the "nam is going to be a huge hit" stuff when it's out to 24 hours on a storm 84 hours away. That stuff absolutely must stop and I think rules for the pbp should be implemented for next season. Many people enjoy it (myself not one of them but I see why it's done and doesn't bother me unless it's what I just mentioned) but it's done so wrong sometimes (not calling anyone out specifically). I would like to see it where pbp would be required to be strictly what the model showed verbatim. The personal interjection about "gonna bes big hit/nw/ots/rain/snow etc. Before it's played out absolutely must stop. To this regard I agree with Forky 110 percent.

PbP works wonders for pure amatuer that want to learn the forecast models and maps. However like you said adding actual construtive analysis to each run from different hours would be more productive, yes they're will be some harmless humor with some runs but that keeps the place lively though. The "OTS, NAM so toss it etc. ) isnt adding much and we should educate instead.

I don't mind stirring the pot but 1) he's a professional and 2) sometimes it goes a bit beyond stirring the pot Imo

I agree some of it is unwarranted and does cross the line but if its that bad the mods will act. We dumped odwalla and that was the textbook of crossing the line, especially when he told yanks to kindly "go fist himself" :lol:

PbP works wonders for pure amatuer that want to learn the forecast models and maps. However like you said adding actual construtive analysis to each run from different hours would be more productive, yes they're will be some harmless humor with some runs but that keeps the place lively though. The "OTS, NAM so toss it etc. ) isnt adding much and we should educate instead.

Humor fine. .. saying it's gonna be a huge hit (like I've seen numerous people say... Only to have it be a dud) is ridiculous and that stuff should absolutely be cut out. In that regard I agree with Forky that there is nothing added to the forum with that

I agree some of it is unwarranted and does cross the line but if its that bad the mods will act. We dumped odwalla and that was the textbook of crossing the line, especially when he told yanks to kindly "go fist himself" :lol:

Well that guy was just wrong all together. .. Same with snowfiend420. And another one to watch out for is weather-Talk.net in the NE forum. That guy is just a joke.

Humor fine. .. saying it's gonna be a huge hit (like I've seen numerous people say... Only to have it be a dud) is ridiculous and that stuff should absolutely be cut out. In that regard I agree with Forky that there is nothing added to the forum with that

You'll never see me make a post similar to that

All three of us agree and some runs do deserve a huge hit when it warrants it but that is more a matter of opinion. Ex. "Huge hit, when its a huge hit for a localized area isnt accurate" it can be critiqued with meteorlogical information and fun as well but as long as it is educational

Well that guy was just wrong all together. .. Same with snowfiend420. And another one to watch out for is weather-Talk.net in the NE forum. That guy is just a joke.

Thats been the word on the NE sub forum streets that he/she is thinking their indeed the second coming and demanding instant respect....the ban hammer will drop eventually as it is always hanging from above lol

Archived