• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
December 2013 General Discussion

snowlover2

Hope everyone had a great Christmas, I did :)

As annoying as losing the deep snow last weekend was, todays dusting of snow added to the holiday spirit. Its a very fine latitudinal line of snow right now (thanks in huge part to the events of last weekend). Here in the DTW area, lots of snowbanks still remain on every corner, so it still looks somewhat like winter. Once you get just north of Detroit, its instant winter wonderland. Depth is a T at DTW but 4" at DTX and FNT, and 9" at MBS. Once you head the other direction, CLE/TOL got so warm last weekend that youd have to go to a parking lot to see any remnant of snow. (other than any fresh dusting that fell today). And I see the same is true on the other side of the lake. Depth is 10" in MKE but T at ORD. If Mother Nature plays here cards right and starts spreading the wealth and shifting the snow slowly south, and we get solid coverage all the way deep into the OV, the wallop the potential New Years cold blast packs could be all the more impressive.

Did want to share a pic though. This was an impressive 2 foot drift at the end of a field last week. Checked it today and sure enough...rock hard. I am literally standing on top of 11" of snow and not so much as leaving a dent.

You can see how the urban heat island was partially responsible for melting off a bit extra snow in wayne county.

nsm_depth_2013122505_Northern_Great_Lake

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope everyone had a great Christmas, I did :)

As annoying as losing the deep snow last weekend was, todays dusting of snow added to the holiday spirit. Its a very fine latitudinal line of snow right now (thanks in huge part to the events of last weekend). Here in the DTW area, lots of snowbanks still remain on every corner, so it still looks somewhat like winter. Once you get just north of Detroit, its instant winter wonderland. Depth is a T at DTW but 4" at DTX and FNT, and 9" at MBS. Once you head the other direction, CLE/TOL got so warm last weekend that youd have to go to a parking lot to see any remnant of snow. (other than any fresh dusting that fell today). And I see the same is true on the other side of the lake. Depth is 10" in MKE but T at ORD. If Mother Nature plays here cards right and starts spreading the wealth and shifting the snow slowly south, and we get solid coverage all the way deep into the OV, the wallop the potential New Years cold blast packs could be all the more impressive.

Did want to share a pic though. This was an impressive 2 foot drift at the end of a field last week. Checked it today and sure enough...rock hard. I am literally standing on top of 11" of snow and not so much as leaving a dent.

3654-800.jpg

Its going to get crushed if not eliminated on Saturday as temp approach 40 under partly sunny skies.

Not if it's a glacier

I'm thinking any pile which survived the last torch and rain episode it is safe. It might soften the outer layer but the core has a very high water to snow ratio.

Poor tree. The Arbourist companies around Toronto will be busy come spring. I love hacking into a tree thinning, shaping and making a bold statement. At first they can look demolished, but in time with new growth they become stunning.

Supposed to be like 38° here on Saturday. If anything with the low dewpoint air the snow will compact, but not melt much.

Denser the snowpack, the least resistant to melting away it becomes. 

Small warmups are good for controlling evaporation on a long term basis.... They still won't stop a torch, but they will prevent losing snow on sub-freezing days.

Snow evaporates whether its 35F or 25F.

GFS shows 2m temps in the mid to upper 30's on Saturday, a far cry from the 40's I was hearing about on the news.

That won't do much except expose grass in wind blow spots.

GFS sometimes isn't warm enough with 2m temps on WAA days.  Just something to keep in mind.

The last time we had southwest winds across the snow cover with very mild 850 temps, which I believe was last Wednesday, highs only reached the lower and mid 30s. With little to no snow cover south of I-80 on Saturday, those areas should warm much more this time, which will impact how much parts of northeast IL warm, though the snow cover put down yesterday evening will limit it somewhat. Once out to north central and northwest IL, those southwest winds will be blowing across the snowpack, so wouldn't think they'd get out of the 30s.

Real satellite image taken Christmas Eve of northern Lake Michigan.

Green Bay almost completely frozen.

attachicon.gif

northernLM_122413.png

APX has casually mentioned it a few times in the AFD about the ice building in the lake and the affect it will have here down the road some. Lake machine will die.

Will have to rely on system snow/clippers, but by that time, I will be over 100"... Gaylord will hit 95" for the season tomorrow, already at 92".

I live near Otsego Lake, which is about 4 miles south of Gaylord (City Limits) moved up here a few months ago. It has been a pretty wild beginning to winter regarding the cold and snow, closing in on a 100 inches already this year near my house which is about 2 miles from the NWS. Running out of places to put the snow in my yard already, would hope that the lake freezing would slow down but doesn't  appear that will happen anytime soon.  I am really enjoying my time in the great north so far and looking forward to more snow this season and beyond.

I live near Otsego Lake, which is about 4 miles south of Gaylord (City Limits) moved up here a few months ago. It has been a pretty wild beginning to winter regarding the cold and snow, closing in on a 100 inches already this year near my house which is about 2 miles from the NWS. Running out of places to put the snow in my yard already, would hope that the lake freezing would slow down but doesn't  appear that will happen anytime soon.  I am really enjoying my time in the great north so far and looking forward to more snow this season and beyond.

my first winter was last year. All I kept saying was "wow"...lol

it's an awesome place to live and people have no conception what 100" of snow is like in basically 6 weeks until you experience it.

plus, as close to the shore as I am, Summer never really got hot. constant lake breezes and sunshine.... also had frequent lows in the 40's all Summer. do miss the severe weather from Indiana tho.

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

Archived