Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December 2013 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

beautiful shot!

even in milder Winters, GB freezes over. I imagine it's fairly shallow.

Yeah it's pretty shallow. I've actually walked out onto it on the west side of Door County before.

lakemichnorth.gif

Down to 41° imby. Arctic front ETA is about 3am.

peaked around 25" but when I measured this morning it was 22".

hard to keep up with the fluff settling. no fluff left now.... it's snowman snow

I made a make shift snow measure pole/stake and I stuck in one place where it rarely drifts. It's interesting to see the variations between when it just finishes snowing, after it settles, and when it melts some.

I made a make shift snow measure pole/stake and I stuck in one place where it rarely drifts. It's interesting to see the variations between when it just finishes snowing, after it settles, and when it melts some.

I have a yard stick stuck in one place that I just leave, but also take random measurements for my own geeky satisfaction. it's interesting to watch how quick some fluffy snows can settle and how heavier snows can settle the fluff without changing the depth a whole lot. last year I managed 40" depth. it's kinda tuff to get there without a thaw. this thaw will help a lot tho, as this base snow will freeze up now and be done settling.

I have a yard stick stuck in one place that I just leave, but also take random measurements for my own geeky satisfaction. it's interesting to watch how quick some fluffy snows can settle and how heavier snows can settle the fluff without changing the depth a whole lot. last year I managed 40" depth. it's kinda tuff to get there without a thaw. this thaw will help a lot tho, as this base snow will freeze up now and be done settling.

I have a snowman stick that goes to 15" that I stick in the yard, but its more for decoration. Snow always varies from place to place, so for some checking in multiple is not necessaril geeky satisfaction lol, its how we report our daily snow depth ;)

Had actually dropped back to 34 a short while ago, but back up to 37.  Winds picking up a bit ahead of the front boosting temps back up.  A little thermal ridge in eastern Iowa ahead of the front should move through and bump us up close to 40 around midnight before the front hits.  Last above freezing temps for the foreseeable future.

Snow cover from a little while ago.

k6jd.jpg

Ick. What an ugly map. Snowcovers already running above normal for DTW this winter, but todays map is a big F-you to Detroits southern burbs (as well as Chicagos). Hopefully it will only be bare here for a few days :) We had snow on the ground most of December, but then again, it would never show on a satellite under the thick stratus that had been down all month lol.

With the warmer temps most of the ice has melted. At least as far as I can tell. I guess the tree branches could still be weakened though.

Quite the temperature gradient right now in the GTA. At last check, YYZ is around 2.9C; however, YKZ is reporting a temperature reading of -2.6C. My thermometer reads -0.5C currently with clear skies. 

Going over a few prelim stats for December at DTW. As crappy as todays weather was, every winter category is running "wintrier" than normal. Nothing record-breaking on any front, just a solid winter month.

Through Dec 27th:

Days with a low temp AOB 32F: 24. Normal for December: 25

Days with a high temp AOB 32F: 16. Normal for December: 11

Days with 0.1"+ snowfall: 14. Normal for December: 9

Days with 1.0"+ snowfall: 4. Normal for December: 3

Days with 3.0"+ snowfall: 1. Normal for December: 1

Days with 1"+ snow on the ground: 16. Normal for December: 9

Days with 3"+ snow on the ground: 6. Normal for December: 5

Days with 5"+ snow on the ground. 6. Normal for December: 3

Average sky coverage: 8.8 (cloudier than normal)

Temperature departure from normal: -3.9F

Snowfall so far is 13.9", which ties for the 24th snowiest December on record.

Biggest snowstorm: 7.7", so the season has already logged a 6"+, which is the 24th such storm since 2000, well above normal.

Will update January 1st with final December numbers.

Been looking for the greatest snow on ground depths for Windsor/Detroit ever recorded. This winter season might be wild with the temperature swings as of late.

Its a shame snow depth records werent kept in 1880-81, as that surely is the winner. As it stands, here are the top winters ranked by their peak obs time snow depth began in 1885

26" - 1899-00

25" - 1885-86

24" - 1998-99

19" - 1974-75

18" - 1892-93

18" - 1981-82

16" - 1904-05

16" - 1951-52

16" - 2010-11

15" - 1903-04

15" - 1907-08

15" - 1977-78

14" - 1893-94

14" - 1894-95

14" - 1909-10

14" - 1929-30

14" - 2008-09

1885-2012

93% of the time peak depth was 4"+

79% of the time peak depth was 6"+

32% of the time peak depth was 10"+

Note: Like all other things snow, the curve was brought down from the 1930-1969 period.

Was expecting higher OTG totals. Perhaps this might be the year to break the 20" mark. :)

It's very difficult to get that much snow on the ground around these areas. That is because compaction is hard to battle. To get 20 inches of snow OTG you need to have 30-35 inches of snow without to much melting. Buffalo received 83 inches of snow in 5 days in 2001, and the maximum snow on the ground was 45 inches. That is nearly 50% compaction. Crazy stuff~!

Archived