• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 2013 General Discussion

snowlover2

Check out this light pillar that suddenly appeared following the snow tonight here in the ol' backyard.  Must have been lots of suspended ice crystals following the clipper.  About got frostbite shooting these as I was in flip-flops out in the back yard lol.

hrji.jpg

3ppw.jpg

9rca.JPG

Brilliant pics! One of the few times I've seen light pillars was about winter 2009 at a local hippy gathering at Waterloo Park to view a lunar eclipse. About a dozen, maybe more, of these pillars surrounded the park for a couple minutes during the eclipse, and the people high on something were losing it. Then I got smacked by a flaming stick of sage about a metre long. Perfect memories of a great light pillar experience  :lmao:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those with personal weather stations, have you found a big difference between the (high + low)/2 method versus integrating the daily temp?

This has always been a big pet peeve of mine as the high + low method appears innacurate anytime you've got midnight highs erasing a days worth of cold air or conversely an 11:59 pm low erasing a days worth of warm temps.

For my personal weather station, December had an average temp of 32.6 degrees using the integration method, however if you do the high + low method, the average drops to 32.0 degrees. That's a pretty significant difference.

fire near MDW?

KMDW 311551Z 25007KT 10SM FEW010 SCT080 SCT250 M13/M17 A3034 RMK AO2 SLP297 FU FEW010 T11331172

KMDW 311451Z 26009KT 10SM FEW010 SCT150 M14/M18 A3031 RMK AO2 SLP289 FU FEW010 T11441183 53030

KMDW 311351Z 29007KT 10SM FEW010 SCT250 M16/M19 A3026 RMK AO2 SLP271 FU FEW010 T11561189

Looks like there was one this morning.

KMDW 311551Z 25007KT 10SM FEW010 SCT080 SCT250 M13/M17 A3034 RMK AO2 SLP297 FU FEW010 T11331172

KMDW 311451Z 26009KT 10SM FEW010 SCT150 M14/M18 A3031 RMK AO2 SLP289 FU FEW010 T11441183 53030

KMDW 311351Z 29007KT 10SM FEW010 SCT250 M16/M19 A3026 RMK AO2 SLP271 FU FEW010 T11561189

Looks like there was one this morning.

cool

lots of people talking about cryoseism on skilling's fb page, naso sure if legit

WWA issued for snow and blowing snow!

WESTERLY WIND GUSTS TO 30 MPH WILL CAUSE SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND

DRIFTING OF THE SNOW...REDUCING VISIBILITIES TO LESS THAN ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES.

Snow and wind, deep snow pack, appropriate beer... all ready to setle in for a cozy evening at home!

Happy new Year everyone....

ENJOY YOUR STORM :)

WWA issued for snow and blowing snow!

WESTERLY WIND GUSTS TO 30 MPH WILL CAUSE SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND

DRIFTING OF THE SNOW...REDUCING VISIBILITIES TO LESS THAN ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES.

Snow and wind, deep snow pack, appropriate beer... all ready to setle in for a cozy evening at home!

Happy new Year everyone....

ENJOY YOUR STORM :)

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

lol. Where's that brewed? Somewhere in the upper lower?

Happy New Year bo. Enjoy your brew.

Wow....the event hasnt even started and we are already off to a good start. This mornings 0.6" of sugar was just about what I expected.....but a lake effect band this afternoon with a few bursts of moderate snow was not expected. Was very surprised when I walked out of work. Picked up a fresh 0.8" so total on the day was 1.4". At DTW, total snow today was 1.2" (0.6" clipper, 0.6" LES). Ground is solidly white once again...now onto the big show :) Happy New Year all!

Sort of an interesting drive into work this morning.  When I left it was -4 here, but the temp just outside of town dropped to as low as -11 on the truck thermometer.  Then bounced back up to around zero a couple times.  Then as I approached work I could see the usual trail of steam streaking away from the plant, but this morning it was literally producing snow.  I've seen this happen many times on very cold mornings, but never got around to taking any pics.  When I was walking in to the plant you could see the little ice crystals falling and glistening in the sun.  Pretty cool.

I guess we can call this Tyson-effect snow lol.

j8vn.jpg

e6oh.jpg

Made it to 14 today after starting at -5.  Walked around a bit in the yard earlier.  The bottom 3" of snow is now so dense and frozen that it supports your weight without much sinking in.  A true glacier from the thaw/rain/freeze cycles over the past several weeks.  It's gonna take a good long torch to get rid of that even though it's only 3" deep or so.  The total depth is around 4", with the top inch or so dry fluff. 

A few more hours of December left, but close enough.  Overall a very cold month, with 9 subzero days.  Blows away the last two seasons.  The monthly precip total of 0.88" is a bit misleading, as we did get a little rain one day when there was still some snow in the rain gauge funnel.  That eventually melted though, and drained through, so the total might not be too far off. 

tn6k.jpg

Will post the final data after I find how much snow falls tonight, but I can say the month was -7.35° from normal!

Tyson effect snow... as in Tyson Chicken? Pretty cool pics. That sort of thing can happen near the coal fired power plant in Kenosha and the north side of Racine on very cold mornings.

Too busy with todays snow to worry about Dec or 2013 stats....will work on that stuff this weekend....but December did finish with a temp departure of -3.3F at DTW after -4.0F in Nov. (In 2013, 7 of the 12 months had a negative temp departure).

December saw 15.5" snow at DTW, which is the 18th snowiest December on record. I finished with 15.8" imby.

Archived