• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 2013 General Discussion

snowlover2

It's very difficult to get that much snow on the ground around these areas. That is because compaction is hard to battle. To get 20 inches of snow OTG you need to have 30-35 inches of snow without to much melting. Buffalo received 83 inches of snow in 5 days, and the maximum snow on the ground was 45 inches. That is nearly 50% compaction. Crazy stuff~!

Geezzz. What kind of water content did you have?

---

Freezing line racing towards the MS River now.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's very difficult to get that much snow on the ground around these areas. That is because compaction is hard to battle. To get 20 inches of snow OTG you need to have 30-35 inches of snow without to much melting. Buffalo received 83 inches of snow in 5 days in 2001, and the maximum snow on the ground was 45 inches. That is nearly 50% compaction. Crazy stuff~!

Yeah...in lake effect its all the more crazy.

But compaction always rules the roost...on Jan 31, 2011 the snow depth at DTW was 6". Then, the blizzard of Feb 1-2 dropped a 36-hour total snowfall of 10.3"...then a surprise snowstorm on Feb 5 dropped 4.8". The 7am depth on Feb 6th was 16".

Even though it's 37 out right now the puddles of water on the sidewalk from melting snow earlier actually froze up pretty hard.  Very slippery.  So even though the air temp is well above freezing the ground is still quite cold.  The snow melt is pretty much over now, so the 3" of cement will go on to make a firm base for additional snows over the next few weeks.  Have now had at least an inch of snow on the ground here since the evening of Dec 8.

Deepest snow depth I had was in December of 2000 and January 1999. Both instances I got up to around 30" snow depth!

Temperature is sliding here too. Warmest air has moved on to the east. Sitting at 35°. Cold air will be barreling like a freight train after 4 or 5am in the morning.

DTW hit 47F today, local wunderground station near me had 48F. You can find an isolated skiff of snow here and there, but mainly just a lot of grass and some shoveled piles, more noticeable on the "shady" side of the street. Still big dirty snowbanks in all the parking lots with streams coming out of them.

Northern burbs (96 north) still maintaining a white glacier.

Almost seems to be a secondary push of colder air well behind the front.  Far eastern Iowa still in the low-mid 20s, but temps in central Iowa are down in the single digits.  Should see temps drop a good 10-15 degrees here by sunset.  Point has -10 for tonight.  Already 6 subzero days this month. 

Down to 1 above here. 

Coldest air seems to be more prevalent on our side of the globe.

Bit of a data void over Siberia I would say! I'd take the 70s on the east coast of AU.

Down to 10° imby now. Clearing line is almost here.

Stat alert. As temps warmed into the low 40s ahead of the front and the sun came out today, our last few patches of "natural" snow melted. Just piles left. The front brought with it 0.01" of drizzle/freezing drizzle leaving a small film of ice, but no snow. So my 8am snow depth tomorrow will be 0, ruining a streak of some amount of snowcover since Dec 9th for one whole day, as some fresh snow will be on the ground Tuesday morning. With snow and cold appearing to lock in, it hopefully will be a lone day of 0 for quite sometime this winter. North of a DTW-DET line there is still a T-1 on the ground.

8am snowdepth

12/09: 1

12/10: 1

12/11: 1

12/12: 1

12/13: 1

12/14: 2

12/15: 9

12/16: 8

12/17: 9

12/18: 8

12/19: 8