e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December 2013 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowpack looks great right now. Here's a pic before it takes a beating over the weekend. We'll lose the nice fresh fluff on top, ice storm glacier pack should survive. Rivers will likely be pretty high by Sunday, they are already moving pretty quick today.

p8aO5xu.jpg

I really don't think our snowpack will take much of a hit here. We'll lose some sure but it won't take a "beating" like you say.

I really don't think our snowpack will take much of a hit here. We'll lose some sure but it won't take a "beating" like you say.

If the clouds hang on and the Sun does not come out were good. The heat should get trapped in the clouds and the snow cover will help retain a cooler sfc but still above freezing. We saw that last week when temperatures were around 2-3C with some rain showers, however our snow cover only lost a few cms. 

Next week looks really cold btw, lol. I wouldn't be surprised if regions in the GTA drop below -20C at night including YYZ. 

38F here...not much melting other then the driveway. 

GFS shows -25F @ 384hrs.    The pattern looks like a repeat, go in the dumper (cold), we torch again, repeat...repeat...  just load after load of cold air.   Good ole fashion winter.   Be interesting watching the obs out of Mt Washington next week...  SE Canada/NE US really get hammered with cold air.

I made up a cumulative snowfall chart showing where I am in reference to the average snowfall nearby at Lake Villa here in Lake County and with respect to the average snowfall since 1998-1999 winter.

Ahead of the curves so far.

post-7389-0-59436100-1388195024_thumb.pn

38F here...not much melting other then the driveway. 

GFS shows -25F @ 384hrs.    The pattern looks like a repeat, go in the dumper (cold), we torch again, repeat...repeat...  just load after load of cold air.   Good ole fashion winter.   Be interesting watching the obs out of Mt Washington next week...  SE Canada/NE US really get hammered with cold air.

Good to hear, because 38F will probably be best-case scenario tomorrow (more likely reaching 40F or low 40s around Milwaukee).  May keep most of the glacier intact, though.

Point has 48 but given the SW flow and the warm temps aloft, I wonder if it's underdone.

That's way underdone. This morning's point bumped you to 51 and me to 52. I'm still thinking 54, as I posted yesterday.

Whatever it gets up to, the Christmas lights are coming down. I always wait until a 'warm' day, but it's usually in January.

Reminds me of a weekend trip to the south, without the drive. A perfect break to the weather and a great day to get some things done outside. Yesterday was spent washing all the salt off the trucks, detailing the interiors and removing the Christmas lights. Today, going for a walk with the kids and then a dinner party.

Archived