Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 2013 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can see how the urban heat island was partially responsible for melting off a bit extra snow in wayne county.

nsm_depth_2013122505_Northern_Great_Lake

Those maps aren't always totally accurate. Monroe had no snow left til yesterdays light snow. UHI had nothing to do with it. We had the warm nose sneak up the river after the cold rainstorm. You don't go from the deepest snow to the least because of UHI.

Its going to get crushed if not eliminated on Saturday as temp approach 40 under partly sunny skies.

That 2 foot drift turned 11" rock glacier isn't going anywhere. Its also at the end of a field where no one lives lol. We will certainly see this fresh powder zapped away if its 40 and sunny saturday and we will be right back to dirty snowbanks.

I live near Otsego Lake, which is about 4 miles south of Gaylord (City Limits) moved up here a few months ago. It has been a pretty wild beginning to winter regarding the cold and snow, closing in on a 100 inches already this year near my house which is about 2 miles from the NWS. Running out of places to put the snow in my yard already, would hope that the lake freezing would slow down but doesn't  appear that will happen anytime soon.  I am really enjoying my time in the great north so far and looking forward to more snow this season and beyond.

I was at the Stampede saloon on Friday... right across the street front the lake.

I would love to experience a sulfur filled upper atmosphere winter, like my older friends talk about..... Well, they don't mention the sulfur, but its the likely reason the 1970's winters were so cold.

My parents grew up in the snowless 1950's.

General info for those who keep track of Indiana records, SBN again does not have an official snow measurement person. This is from their Facebook page:

"Snowfall data is missing because we do not have a snowfall observer in South Bend any longer. We are currently in the process of finding someone else to take these observations. Until then, snowfall will be missing."

They started the season with no observer and again do not have one. Hard to believe.

Maybe they need to install a nipher gauge.

I would love to experience a sulfur filled upper atmosphere winter, like my older friends talk about..... Well, they don't mention the sulfur, but its the likely reason the 1970's winters were so cold.

My parents grew up in the snowless 1950's.

Out of curiosity....do your parents remember the winters as less snowy back then or do they fall in that category or thinking they walked through 6 feet of snow in 1953 or something? My mom (born in 1958 so grew up in the 1970s) always says winters seem the same, in that some years are snowy some not. Some Christmases were white, some weren't. They used to go snowmobiling on a friends property on glennie and they had some deep snow in the late 1970s there (and they are outside the snowbelt) so she always remembers that, and says sometimes they would leave to go up north and there was decent snow here, other times there would be bare ground and then like magic it would get deep in northern lower. I don't understand why most of the rest of their generation tell these fairy tales.

Out of curiosity....do your parents remember the winters as less snowy back then or do they fall in that category or thinking they walked through 6 feet of snow in 1953 or something? My mom (born in 1958 so grew up in the 1970s) always says winters seem the same, in that some years are snowy some not. Some Christmases were white, some weren't. They used to go snowmobiling on a friends property on glennie and they had some deep snow in the late 1970s there (and they are outside the snowbelt) so she always remembers that, and says sometimes they would leave to go up north and there was decent snow here, other times there would be bare ground and then like magic it would get deep in northern lower. I don't understand why most of the rest of their generation tell these fairy tales.

My parents don't see any difference. They don't really like winter, so its not a positive thing for them.

My parents don't see any difference. They don't really like winter, so its not a positive thing for them.

I sent video of me clearing 24" of snow off my garage roof today to my Sister and some family down south and all I got was "you need your head examined for living there" responses. Snow is in my blood, hard to explain to some. Yes it was work but I loved every minute!

I was at the Stampede saloon on Friday... right across the street front the lake.

I live near Otsego State Park, its a hidden development on the other side of old 27 close to the party store etc. It has a wicked steep hill to get back to the houses, there is only a few back here, very private, yet close to everything including trail 7 :) We have about 28 inches OTG at my house.

Few flurries currently again. Made it to 28°. Mostly cloudy all day.

Bo - I had to clear my roof three times since I've lived here. February 2008, January 1999 and December 2000. 

---

Skilling saying this will be the coldest air mass in 5 years.

Few flurries currently again. Made it to 28°. Mostly cloudy all day.

Bo - I had to clear my roof three times since I've lived here. February 2008, January 1999 and December 2000.

I'm never sure when to do it so when I see long time locals starting to do it, I figure I better since my roof isn't a high degree angle. I had to do it 3 times last winter and a first time so far this winter. I got the garage done and will split the rest up for tomorrow and Saturday. just in time for another heavy round of snow late weekend into next week.

APX has casually mentioned it a few times in the AFD about the ice building in the lake and the affect it will have here down the road some. Lake machine will die.

Will have to rely on system snow/clippers, but by that time, I will be over 100"... Gaylord will hit 95" for the season tomorrow, already at 92".

Talking with a met from APX on facebook, I mentioned the ice to him, he said his best guess would be another 2 weeks or so and Northern Lake Michigan will be pretty froze over. He did say that you still will get LES but the bands will not be a strong so take that for what its worth. Water temps are running 6-7 degrees below normal for this time of year. That goes to show you how cold it has been.

Talking with a met from APX on facebook, I mentioned the ice to him, he said his best guess would be another 2 weeks or so and Northern Lake Michigan will be pretty froze over. He did say that you still will get LES but the bands will not be a strong so take that for what its worth. Water temps are running 6-7 degrees below normal for this time of year. That goes to show you how cold it has been.

oh, thx!! I was under the impression LE shut off completely. That gives me some hope that the area could def see 150" (especially Gaylord). we need a couple really good system storms!

Not until Lake Superior freezes would the LES turn off completely. I too know about the snow in your blood.

This.

The older generations always likes to believe that the younger generation is made up of people who don't have as much backbone with regard to the weather.

Didn't realize today was gonna get so warm.  Ended up making it to 35.  Point has 37/40 tomorrow/Sat.  Don't think the forecast had called for temps that warm till today.  Snow down to about 5" now. 

Same here.  There was definitely some melting this afternoon, at least around the edges.  We may lose a bit more snow the next couple days than earlier thought.  At least the current snowpack has more water in it so it won't compact down and melt away nearly as fast as the last batch.

The visible loop today showed some significant shrinkage of the snowpack in Kansas and Missouri.

Archived