• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
November 26-28 Coastal Storm Discussion and Obs

DCAlexandria

Jan 11 stands out pretty big in that dept.

What year? Jan 11, 2013 had dca as all liquid, or did you mean January 2011? Ah, I see it now for 1/26/11. I do not remember that event beginning frozen at the onset, but obs do not lie.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't set goals on the low end.

And ..... There's a lot of potential crow being served up in this thread. Possible turkey day appetizer for some.

I understand your post. But you have to remember that most of the discussion here is so far east of us that we are really not in the same conversation. I think its likely that we see snow from this. But not the 4-12 that DT is seeing.

What year? Jan 11, 2013 had dca as all liquid, or did you mean January 2011? Ah, I see it now for 1/26/11. I do not remember that event beginning frozen at the onset, but obs do not lie.

Some areas West of balt had 4" overnight and morning IIRC. I think I got an inch or 1.5 but it's a bit foggy. I had a 103 fever and the flu that day. I couldnt even enjoy the storm and losing power was evil punishment as I shivered under a mountain of blankets. And worst of all....that's the last time my driveway needed a shovel.

Some areas West of balt had 4" overnight and morning IIRC. I think I got an inch or 1.5 but it's a bit foggy. I had a 103 fever and the flu that day. I couldnt even enjoy the storm and losing power was evil punishment as I shivered under a mountain of blankets. And worst of all....that's the last time my driveway needed a shovel.

I had around 3" in the morning, snizzle all day and then another 8" in the evening thump I think. 

Best rain to snow events I remember. I am not sure all of these produce snow in the mid atlantic.  Most of these closed off an H7 over New england and had cooler 850 temps behind the front.

4/8/2000

3/8/2005  - Personal favorite flash freeze Commutmageddon  NYC metro.  

1/15/2006

Yes, even up here we had some rain and slop for a period of about 1-2 hours before we switched to pure snow.

Best meteorology night class cancellation I had with the best thundery rain-snow transition I ever experienced that afternoon! I hope too many folks don't mind too much about the flashbacks while awaiting the 0Z suite.

Didn't we get a shot of rain before the changeover? My memory isnt good with this one. I thought it was raining pretty good around metro dc before it switched to white asteroids.

I don't really remember it really raining heavily.  It drizzled about all day between the shots of snow. 

I mean I can se what you're saying, but at the same time based on current models and history, back end snow isn't a good bet.

Look, if anybody here has reason to hope, it's you and those out that way. I wouldn't rule anything out back there.

I agree. Snow of consequence is a long shot.

A longer shot is making a definitive statement about weather 60 hours in advance. Funny how the most knowledgeable people here never do that.

Oh well, probably shouldn't even have mentioned it.

I understand your post. But you have to remember that most of the discussion here is so far east of us that we are really not in the same conversation. I think its likely that we see snow from this. But not the 4-12 that DT is seeing.

What DT sees is probably a lot better look than you, I, or many others here could hope to give. People need to be very careful in LOLing a post by a pro. It ain't like he predicted 4-12 for his back yard.

What DT sees is probably a lot better look than you, I, or many others here could hope to give. People need to be very careful in LOLing a post by a pro. It ain't like he predicted 4-12 for his back yard.

I have all the respect in the world for DT when it comes to winter storms. The man knows his ****. But he has had his share of busts just like anyone else.

Best rain to snow events I remember. I am not sure all of these produce snow in the mid atlantic.  Most of these closed off an H7 over New england and had cooler 850 temps behind the front.

4/8/2000

3/8/2005  - Personal favorite flash freeze Commutmageddon  NYC metro.  

1/15/2006

4/9 hit some of the burbs....3/8 hit everyone...1/15....no

Seems like I remember areas around Baltimore getting a good shot of snow that morning and when the precip let up is when the drizzle happened.

Yes, it was very rate dependent.  Light precip was rain, heavier was snow.  Even during the evening snow thump, the surface temp was ~33F IMBY. 

Woody was in great form today...

TUE - WED...

PRVS FCST FOR MIDWK RMNS ON TRACK.

MDLS HV COME INTO MUCH BETTER AGREEMENT THAN 24 HRS AGO REGARDING
THE SYSTEM WHICH LOOKS TO IMPACT THE MID ALTC..AND ENTIRE E CST...
TUE AND WED. THIS IS A COMPLEX SYSTEM INVOLVING 2 STREAMS OF UPR
LVL ENERGY. AS OF NOW IT LOOKS LK THE 2 SHORT WVS WON`T PHASE
UNTIL REACHING LONG ISLAND/NEW ENGLAND...SO WE`LL BE CONCENTRATING ON THE
LOW COMING FM THE NRN GULFMEX.

THE "DOUBLE LOW" PROJECTED BY THE MDLS...ESPECIALLY THE GFS...ISN`T
ALTOGETHER UNCOMMON...BUT I DON`T THINK I`VE SEEN IT A LOT EITHER.
ONE GOLDEN RULE OF WINTER FCSTG IS "THE MORE COMPLICATED THE SYSTEM
THE LESS SNOW WL FALL" BUT I`M NOT SURE WE`RE GOING TO BE SEEING
MUCH SNOW OVR OUR AREA...ESPECIALLY NOT IN THE I-95 CORRIDOR. SOME
FACTORS WORKING AGAINST WNTRY PCPN A) IT IS STILL VERY EARLY IN THE
SEASON. B) I DON`T LOOK AT THIS MUCH ANYMORE BUT THE 1000-500 THCKNS
IS WELL ABV THE 540 DM VALUE - AT 00Z WED THAT LN IS ACROSS OH...AT
12Z OVR CNTRAL W.V. AND APRCHG THE MTNS AT 18Z WED. C) IN THE LOWER
LVLS THE 1000-850 MB THCKNS DOES NOT GO SUB 1300 M IN THE WRN PART
OF THE CWA UNTIL 12Z WED...AND FINALLY D) IT APPEARS THERE WL BE
A STRONG SERLY FLOW TUE/TUE NGT. THE OCEAN TEMP OFF THE VA CAPES
IS IN THE M50S.

BEST CHC FOR WINTRY PCPN IN OUR CWA WL BE WED EVE...BUT BY THAT TIME
THE MAIN LOW WL BE SO FAR N THAT QPF/SNOW ACCUM WL BE MINIMAL.
"BACKSIDE OF LOW WELL N" IS NOT MUCH OF A SNOW CREATOR FOR US.

THE FORECAST IS A RAIN/SNOW MIX FOR THE BLUE RIDGE/FOOTHILLS AND
WEST...BETTER ALL-SNOW POTENTIAL FOR THE HIGHLANDS...AND STAYING
MOSTLY A COLD RAIN OVER THE I-95 CORRIDOR FOR WED. WPC RAFL TOTALS
FOR THE EVENT CLOSE TO 4". THAT IS A LOT OF RAIN. IF THAT DOES
OCCUR ONE THING THAT WL MOST LKLY BE HALTED ARE THE WILDFIRES
GOING ON IN THE WRN PART OF THE FCST AREA...AS WELL AS NEED FOR
RFW`S LK THE ONE THAT WAS ISSUED TDA.

AS THE UPPER TROUGH AXIS CROSSES THE APLCNS LATE WED...THE COLD AIR
WILL MOVE IN FROM BEHIND AND LIKELY CHANGEOVER LINGERING PRECIP TO
SNOW FURTHER EAST AS THE EVE/NIGHT PROGRESSES. HOWEVER...THE HEAVIER
BATCHES OF PRECIP MAY ALREADY BE SLIDING E OF THE AREA BY THEN -
WHICH IS WHERE SOME OF THE LARGEST LINGERING DISCREPANCIES STILL
REMAIN. SUBSEQUENT RUNS OF THESE MED RANGE MODELS SHOULD COME INTO
BETTER AGREEMENT ON THIS GRADUALLY...AS THEY DID FOR THE TUE
ACTIVITY.

&&

And ofc the 00z NAM goes dual lows tonight... and shoves I-95 east into  the 50s by hr 54

Hmmm... lot of moisture left behind at hr 66...

To go with that, the vort if it were to go right overhead in a phased manner would assist any wraparound/backend snows. There is a lot of residual moisture around behind the main low, and with that we have a chance at seeing a few inches at the end of this. Obviously the chances are higher to the northwest, but overall if the phasing was a bit cleaner, then we would have a quicker crash of temps and better baroclinic enhancement. Am checking all the layers now, but the NAM presents a possible scenario. 

Surface temps would be an issue for the areas E of FDK down to IAD, however with heavy enough precip cold 850's could advect down with the surface in a Justin Berkesque evaporational cooling story. 

Archived