12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
November 26-28 Coastal Storm Discussion and Obs

DCAlexandria

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing how it is beating the GFS as of late. I'd say it is. 

Not at 72 hour lead time:

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/allmodel/daily/cor/cor_day3_HGT_P500_G2NHX.png

Especially over the PNA sector:

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/allmodel/daily/cor/cor_day3_HGT_P500_G2PNA.png

And just for fun, 72h SLP over the PNA region:

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/allmodel/daily/cor/cor_day3_PMSL_MSL_G2PNA.png

Looks like the euro is ahead in every category, and every other one I click on....unless I am reading it wrong...nonetheless it is close, and I don't really think we need the track outside of 3 days anyway....the threat is there....it is mostly just for us...both models are fine in terms of informing the public....there are times the euro catches on late..I agree with you....this "argument" is getting tired...they are both good models....

Both models are good models. I've now written for the CWG for two storms.  The GFS clearly was better with the 1st and it looks like the euro is going to be better for this one as it never got that sheared look of the GFS.  If so,  the ensembles gave some good advice generally having most members wetter than the sheared versions of the GFS.  The 06Z GFS still is sheared but now has plenty of rain. 

The euro finally came back around last night. Which is major improvements from where it was. But still improvements can be made.

But realistically... a good combo right now would be a blend of Euro/GFS--lol I know.

The ukmet is still too far west imo. Maybe the euro slightly. The LP is and should ultimately track right along the coast or just off the coast. There is a decent Lee side trough in the SE already which as this storm evolves and the HP moves should create a greater pressure gradient along the Coast. Which would and should be the track of the SLP.

pmsl.gif?1385300909321

If this storm could track just 40-50 miles east of Euro solution. Those of us out west are going to see some snow. As far the GFS goes. My issue is that sometimes Its solution is so different from its ensembles that it cant possibly be right. This was one of those times. The Ensemble Mean was very similar to the Euro over the last couple of days.

If this storm could track just 40-50 miles east of Euro solution. Those of us out west are going to see some snow. As far the GFS goes. My issue is that sometimes Its solution is so different from its ensembles that it cant possibly be right. This was one of those times. The Ensemble Mean was very similar to the Euro over the last couple of days.

Yes, but the last storm or non storm the euro had a solution that was way different than it's ensembles or the GEFS ensembles.  Heck I wrote a CWG piece on it.  That happens to all models.  I will say that the GFS does have phasing issues at times and seems to be too flat with waves more than too amped and that seems to be especially true with really strong systems. 

we need to hope for the trailing southern vort to spawn a 2nd area of precip in the cold air as it filters back in

12z GFS continues to look better in that regard

Big difference between 6z and 12z with the placement of the second storm. 6z had it going off the coast of GA. and 12z now has it going off NC coast with some colder temps and a little precip in NOVA. Maybe a trend to watch.

we need to hope for the trailing southern vort to spawn a 2nd area of precip in the cold air as it filters back in

12z GFS continues to look better in thatregard

Im on the create its own cold air train.

Archived