• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November weather dicsussion

ORH_wxman

actually, the snow pack in Canada is probably what made it as cold as it was and more so than proggs had it

Oh I don't doubt... Snow pack preceded the recent -EPO dump and when that cold moved bodily through the Yukon and settled into S-central Canada, it was doing so amid some of the lowest sun angles of the year, and a snow pack combined == very limited moderation ability.  It was a 101 lesson in how/why cryosphere is important.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just thinking that earlier today... I remember a cold snap in mid Novie ended up in a sleet/snow affair N of the Pike circa the 19th, 1995. For us at UML in the Merrimack Valley, it would mean persistent snow pack until the end of January mega-thaw.

Thing is, I don't believe we were looking at a warm recovery pattern that year like we are observing in the runs now. We'll see how it goes, but it appears it turns more non-recovery cold-like post the 20th to me. I have been noticing that last several cycles of the operational, a cold continent evolves N of about 40N by the 22nd+, the kind where it's not like these as of late ... invasions followed by a roll-out warm-ups. There is more of a permanent looking cold thickness wall setting up from the NP to SE Canda or even in here by T-day.

Backed by yet another downward EPO burst leading the way beginning ~ 5 or 6 days from now. And, the PNA may be relaxing it's negative posture by then, which would only make the EPO that much more effectual in loading cold into middle N/A latitudes. We'll see how the AO goes; some additional spread was re-introduced into the runs last night, just when we had better agreement. Oy vay! But as EPO intrusions have proven, the AO ain't the whole story.

Things looking good from where I sit for winter weather enthusiasm, given just a little bit of patients.

Awesome read thanks

next week's cold shot relaxed on the models last night. Still looking more like a nina-ish pattwern in 11-15 day...winter storm thanksgiving week? midwest to new england?

I was commenting on this in the MA subforum.  Pattern looks pretty good for a storm of some kind in the Nov 24-29 period.  Obviously higher latitudes are going to be favored at this time of year, but I could foresee a situation that would give my region some early snow.  6z GEFS are pretty bold on the AO and NAO going in the tank around this period.    

Next week looks like 30-35 for highs for a few days post fropa. Doesn't seem much warmer than what was progged

The severity of the cold shot is what i was referencing, and it is much more noteworthy for the midwest/south which granted you do not care about it...It moves through very quickly, but the good news is there is much less of a gap between the next wave versus what we have upcoming through monday.

yes maybe a degree or two warmer at 850 per Ens data but way below normal. Also real early but as several have alluded to above the setup for Tday week is intriguing this far out.

Yes, PWM ran -13 yesterday, and that was pretty much for the high and low. Definitely well below normal, which is why I said on par with this shot. Colder than this would put PWM around freezing, the record low max yesterday was 33, so I'm not sure I would be thinking record breaker coming up.

Statistical chance of a white thanksgiving is highest possible this year thanks to the calendar. It was lowest possible last year.

1989 was impressive being on the 23rd.

The last White Thanksgiving in BOS was 2002 which was 11/28 as well.

Yes, PWM ran -13 yesterday, and that was pretty much for the high and low. Definitely well below normal, which is why I said on par with this shot. Colder than this would put PWM around freezing, the record low max yesterday was 33, so I'm not sure I would be thinking record breaker coming up.

Wow

ORH was a -15 yesterday. When was the last time we had that big of a departure?

Two double digit negative departures in Novie, -2.4F overall.  That will change for the worse soon. 

ORH also had a -11 earlier this month

Well they've had several negative double digit departures...in addition to the November and September days, they also had one in July and one in June...but none as big as -15 since the May 25th -16 departure. The 26th of May had a -14 departure.

Well they've had several negative double digit departures...in addition to the November and September days, they also had one in July and one in June...but none as big as -15 since the May 25th -16 departure. The 26th of May had a -14 departure.

Maybe more impressive are the -14, -15, -16, and -17 departures yesterday on the high temps for BOS, BDL, PVD and ORH respectively.

Archived