joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November weather dicsussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dec 1964 was pretty good too. Though we torched later that month...but the first 3 weeks were cold/snowy.

Yeah you're right..just looked it up. 

That snow event in late November '95 is one of those random events I vividly remember. Maybe because it herald in such a good winter, but I always remember that one.

That snow event in late November '95 is one of those random events I vividly remember. Maybe because it herald in such a good winter, but I always remember that one.

Yes, it was 11/29/95...over performed. Was supposed to be like 1-2" and a lot of people got 3-5"...most of it fell in 2-3 hours in a heavy burst. A wave formed along the front...kind of like a stronger version of yesterday, except that we were already on the cold side of the front for a day versus transitioning to it during the event itself.

it;s amazing how the Pacific rules the roost. The Pacific laughs at the Atlantic and it's indices. Something for folks(the weenies) to keep in mind

That isn't always true. Just look at the first 10 days of January 2009 for an example.

But you definitely need the Pacific to cooperate if you want a full arctic blast.

That isn't always true. Just look at the first 10 days of January 2009 for an example.

But you definitely need the Pacific to cooperate if you want a full arctic blast.

I know sometimes the Atlantic helps us out esp with the NAO, but I've come to the conclusion that if we want a good winter..or cold or snowy period..we need the Pac to cooperate. When conditions/setup is bad there..it just seems like we get screwed 9 times out of 10

Dec 1964 was pretty good too. Though we torched later that month...but the first 3 weeks were cold/snowy.

Yeah that one was preceded by a very warm day. The modeling had warmth for us until the last minute. I was awakened at 4AM with the news of my mothers passing. I went into work to tidy things up and prepare to be in Rochester for 2 weeks. Heavy snow in the am, a flight to ROC in the late afternoon. While in roc it was cold with tons of les. On 12/2 there was a coastal the was quick snow to rain on the coast (2 inches of snow at BOS before the changeover. Reinforcing cold, and off to the races.

Yeah that one was preceded by a very warm day. The modeling had warmth for us until the last minute. I was awakened at 4AM with the news of my mothers passing. I went into work to tidy things up and prepare to be in Rochester for 2 weeks. Heavy snow in the am, a flight to ROC in the late afternoon. While in roc it was cold with tons of les. On 12/2 there was a coastal the was quick snow to rain on the coast (2 inches of snow at BOS before the changeover. Reinforcing cold, and off to the races.

it was 70 on Christmas day in Newark in 1964...The snow that fell on the 21st melted just before midnight Christmas Eve in the fog...January 1965 saw snow on four consecutive weekends...

I also remember that day very vividly. I was 8, woke up for school and it was snowing/accumulating. About 2-3" fell, it was still on the ground when school was over...nice way to kick off the best of the best winters

I also remember that day very vividly. I was 8, woke up for school and it was snowing/accumulating. About 2-3" fell, it was still on the ground when school was over...nice way to kick off the best of the best winters

it would have been interesting if this board were around then when the Mid Jan super torch hit--30 inches of snow gone in 2 weeks after cutter after cutter hit.....pattern reloaded, but that was 3 weeks of hell after 6 weeks of glory.

Everything just froze...I love when it flips to snow and everything freezes as the snow falls on top. Just makes it seem like the N pole...lol.

it would have been interesting if this board were around then when the Mid Jan super torch hit--30 inches of snow gone in 2 weeks after cutter after cutter hit.....pattern reloaded, but that was 3 weeks of hell after 6 weeks of glory.

The one good thing about those cutters was the fact that they had damaging winds. Two of them both brought trees down.

The warmth post-11/15 is definitely going to verify like has been progged for seemingly weeks. The pre-11/15 cold shot was more prolific than advertised originally....but the Thanksgiving day week stuff still has a long ways to go. Ensembles backed off slightly last night which isn't surprising given the time frame.

I definitely envision the plains getting it first and it could be more up and down here before it finally settles in better. Its a bit of a cliche these days in meteorology, but its true often enough....the models will tend to rush regime changes in the long range moreso than the other way around.

Agreed,  ...we start moderating tomorrow, but really gets noticeable on Thursday, and I then suspect registering daily at or above norm departures right out through D6, ...although I am willing to bend to seasonal trend and maybe speed up the end of the warm period a day or so sooner, as a possibility.

Looking back at the evolution of the current blast of wintry air, it appears almost have entirely originated by the EPO down spike.  One can really track events back in time to solve the crime.  Good lesson for many in how one cannot really throw hands in warm disgust because there is a -PNA/+AO gang bang on the pattern.  The EPO and oft' enough the NAO can cook a different meal for us locally compared to the hemispheric signals.   It's been an interesting mid autumn here, with these EPO bursters.  It's modulated the warm periods shorter, and intensified the coldgasms.    What fits there?  The CDC has the EPO neutralizing and even going a tick positive before descending again beyond the 21st -- so with on-going -PNA, we find a warm spell nested in there.  Figures.  

The warmth post-11/15 is definitely going to verify like has been progged for seemingly weeks. The pre-11/15 cold shot was more prolific than advertised originally....but the Thanksgiving day week stuff still has a long ways to go. Ensembles backed off slightly last night which isn't surprising given the time frame.

I definitely envision the plains getting it first and it could be more up and down here before it finally settles in better. Its a bit of a cliche these days in meteorology, but its true often enough....the models will tend to rush regime changes in the long range moreso than the other way around.

Agreed, ...we start moderating tomorrow, but really gets noticeable on Thursday, and I then suspect registering daily at or above norm departures right out through D6, ...although I am willing to bend to seasonal trend and maybe speed up the end of the warm period a day or so sooner, as a possibility.

Looking back at the evolution of the current blast of wintry air, it appears almost have entirely originated by the EPO down spike. One can really track events back in time to solve the crime. Good lesson for many in how one cannot really throw hands in warm disgust because there is a -PNA/+AO gang bang on the pattern. The EPO and oft' enough the NAO can cook a different meal for us locally compared to the hemispheric signals. It's been an interesting mid autumn here, with these EPO bursters. It's modulated the warm periods shorter, and intensified the coldgasms. What fits there? The CDC has the EPO neutralizing and even going a tick positive before descending again beyond the 21st -- so with on-going -PNA, we find a warm spell nested in there. Figures.

Nice explanation. Question, could this be a winter where the EPO rises and falls periodically? There would still be chances but snowpack retention could be iffy.

36 degrees in the middle of the day on 11/12 with no snowcover and bright sun.  That's incredibly impressive.

Long term snowpack?  Not sure on that but I'm sure we're going to have some brutal cold interludes punctuated on either end with storminess.  We've almost scrapped up a few OES type events too, been many years since they've been prolific and I'm thinking this year we may see more than a few.

Could not ask for a better pattern going forward this early. Looks beautiful.

Yeah I feel like this is the first time in a while that early season snow and winter conditions is favorable. With the exception or 2010-11 as the obvious outlier

Broke out the northface for the first time today. Mid winter feel- awesome

Archived