joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November weather dicsussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea he said he was getting his sled out. Another event and he breaks his 2007 Nov record. Best site ever

Impressive start to the season up there. The foot or so over the last several days prompted me to get a re-write of one of our tools going. We can run the winds over the terrain and it will generate upslope/downslope departures to the overall forecast field. However, we weren't capturing the terrain over the North Country well (the Whites dominated the signal). So we added a couple model wind fields at lower pressure levels (925, 900, 875, etc) and it captures the Pittsburg area upslope much better. The original tool was written in Idaho, so yeah 500 mb winds aren't as critical here.

Impressive start to the season up there. The foot or so over the last several days prompted me to get a re-write of one of our tools going. We can run the winds over the terrain and it will generate upslope/downslope departures to the overall forecast field. However, we weren't capturing the terrain over the North Country well (the Whites dominated the signal). So we added a couple model wind fields at lower pressure levels (925, 900, 875, etc) and it captures the Pittsburg area upslope much better. The original tool was written in Idaho, so yeah 500 mb winds aren't as critical here.

My dream place to live...although probably not the best place for social activities.

Big Pond along rt 9 yest morning...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Woodford, VT FTW! Know that spot well as I will sometimes take a weenie drive up there during the winter if I'm up for something a little more ambitious than Peru or Windsor here in the Berkshires.

I last took a drive up there in mid March and there was zilch in Bennington, but by the time I reached the Big Pond area, there was a 2'+ glacier. Big upslope spot that cashes in on both easterly and westerly flows. They had 27" in the 12/26-27/12 event while Bennington had 3". I'd say Woodford averages 140-150" per year.

Wow, some really cold thickness for that type of geopotential heights on the operational Euro. Of course, it is beyond D6 on this run, but ... I mentioned this yesterday, the models really have been establishing a cold continent from about 40N and up for that period of time for many, many cycles now.  Get a load of those -30C, 850mb T's up in the NW Territories, with that -EPO ridge sitting precariously by... 

An 8 day torch? It's back below normal again next Tuesday and beyond

Its not a torch the entire way, but in the means it is. The cold shot has become less impressive and we warm up again right behind it. If we get lucky, the cold will come in next weekend...but I wouldn't be shocked if that is delayed several days...there is still a good SE ridge signal in that timeframe before it gets beaten down.

Yeah i don't quite understand how that's a torch..That like 30's to low 40's Tuesday-Thurs..It does warm up a bit next Friday into the weekend

No, it will definitely cool down mid week but then we turn milder again before another cooldown perhaps early Thanksgiving week. It's not really a cool pattern and this hasn't changed.

Archived