Newest Member
    joxey
ABOUT THE XMAS DAY EVENT/ THREAT issues to be considered

Guest someguy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest someguy

I wouldnt trust any model right now. Look what the models did with the mecs we where suppose to have today and tomorrow. It brought it then took it away then brought and took it away..... Be careful guys

not relvant.

its like saying well your car didnt start.

therefore cars are useless

Down here, I like our odds of getting snow for christmas and there is potential for a good snowstorm but it's way too early to jump on amounts and qpf.

So Wes, what do you see for areas to the north, such as East Central PA toward the I-81 corridor? A decent hit, or a minimal impact?

Guest someguy

00Z DEC 20 GFS blinked

MODEL 1 says ABC

MODEL 2 says XYZ

MODEL 3 says XYZ

MODEL 4 says XYZ

MODEL 5 says xyz

MODEL 1 says ABC for 12 runs in a row

MODEL1 ensembles over the 12 Model runs says XYZ

MODEL 2 ensembles over the past 8 model runs all say XYZ

MODEL 3 ensembles all say XYZ for 8 runs in a row

then MODEL 1 new runs out and says XYZ

what does that tell us ?

Guest someguy

FIRST Model 1 is NOT very good in general or Handling this event

SECOND that the XYZ solution is far More likey than ABC

THIRD ..... that solution ABC is NOT a Viable solution even if MODEL 1 were to " flip flop" later on

Guest someguy

No, no, the opposite. Been suppressed, right? Now it shows a bomb. The GFS flipped in one direction, the GEM in the other.

wow ... you are not even close to getting this are you e

the BOMB on the 0z CMC is from eastern NC to south of the BM

that isnt the issue

heck even the euro says that it will at SOME point Bomb out

the issues was the super bombs of the GFS

that isnt the issue

who gives a damn. models all pointing to a decent event ON Christmas. Snow on Christmas. I (and moston this board) could care less if it was a bomb.

that isnt the issue

So if on December 26th the GFS ends up being right and you're wrong will you admit it?:popcorn:

who gives a damn. models all pointing to a decent event ON Christmas. Snow on Christmas. I (and moston this board) could care less if it was a bomb.

cliff notes for those who have missed todays runs

the gfs has been showing a massive phase with a massive storm on the coast. all other models have not been showing this massive phase over the US, and have not had a bomb on the coast now the 0z has stepped back away from this massive phase over the US, which DT has been saying all day it was probably wrong

To make a long story short ---- The more complicated a storm is - THE MORE LIKELY IT WILL NOT PAN OUT.

I'd stake my very LIFE on that.

If it does pan out - I'll take some snow. If it does not pan out - I promise I won't jump off the 14th street bridge at 230am (at a time when it will not hold up traffic).

There will be other storms.

Hell - IF I truly wanted snow on Christmas - I'd vacation in Mammoth Mountain for Christmas. They're getting at least a foot of snow for Christmas.

Guest someguy

So if on December 26th the GFS ends up being right and you're wrong will you admit it?:popcorn:

yeah that is why the 0z euro and 0z ggem are Now in agree emntn have the low coming up from the Deep south?

simply b/c I thought ---and still think the GFS solutuion was BS ------that i am against snow ?

the -ao is lower than we ever saw it in a strong La Nina...Last year the blocking was as strong but the storms were juicy...It looks like the storm track is further south and the storms are wimpy...The fall had a few coastal storms that tracked in a good spot for winter snows and usually a storm track like that returns some time during the winter...i still have hopes for February and some snow by months end...I'm hoping we don't end up like Dec. 54...

How did December 1954 wind up?

And overall I agree with your analysis. La Niña kills off the Miller A track and thus makes it that much harder for a big storm to happen.

RECORD EVENT REPORT...CORRECTED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA

800 AM PST MON DEC 20 2010

...MANY RECORD MAXIMUM PRECIPITATION RECORDS SET YESTERDAY...

STATION NAME NEW RECORD OLD RECORD AND YEAR

--------------------------------------------------------------

LOS ANGELES INT`L AIRPORT 2.23 INCHES 1.62" IN 1984

DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES 2.80 INCHES 2.12" IN 1921

LONG BEACH AIRPORT 2.07 INCHES 0.52" IN 1984

SAN GABRIEL 2.96 INCHES 1.90" IN 1970

SANTA BARBARA AIRPORT 2.79 INCHES 1.75" IN 1964

SANTA MARIA AIRPORT 2.13 INCHES 0.95" IN 1984

SAN LUIS OBISPO CAL POLY 1.80 INCHES 1.37" IN 1970

Is it not unusual that these records would be broken in a moderate la nina year? That's what makes this pattern so remarkable.

And why records may be set the xmas storm for the 25th and 26th of December.

What is happening out west is very unusual for a Nina. I worked for a ski area in CO for 7 years (92-99) and this type of precip event is common in a Nino but certainly not in a Nina. Deep plume of moisture into SoCal and hitting CO on a SW flow is the exact opposite of what we typically saw. Typical Ninas brought storms in the Pac NW and moisture into the CO rockies on a NW flow. This was great for the N half of the CO mtns but usually left the S half in a much drier regime. The S mountains are getting pummeled right now with this system. However, most early season snows this year in the CO rockies has favored the N half so that is more typical of a Nina. Either way, this storm is a monster for the mountains out west. CO is expecting widespread 3-5 feet of snow with PWAT in the 5" range. Uncommonly wet snow for CO.

Of course, now I'm only interested in seeing what this storm does when it makes it to the east coast. I like the odds of at least an overrunning event in the MA. A coastal would be awesome but at least it looks like a really good chance of seeing accum snow on Xmas.

Archived