joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Mid November Event

BullCityWx

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm only seeing 6 inches at most in those areas.

EDIT: There's a HRES ECMWF on WxBell now. Try that one out.

Esat has 4" max. Even that may be overdone based on 850's. OTOH, there is a 0.25-30" QPF max. between N ATL burbs and AHN with 850's cold enough for mostly snow. So, 2-2.5" of snow there not impossible if low level temp.'s get cold enough. Would be close to the historic 11/27/1912 snow there, which also had an offshore storm really wind up and cause gales coastal NC after upper energy apparently gave snow to Atlanta and other areas the day prior.

Grit, what is your opinion based on that RH map?  Is it possible that the precip is underdone for some areas?

Euro keeps wanting to deposit and close off the bottom end of the trough.  Some of the GFS Ensemble members do it too.  I just don't like the overall positive tilt nature of the overall trough in the progressive flow, but we'll see.  Precip amounts seem reasonable to me based on that look.  

I'm only seeing 6 inches at most in those areas.

EDIT: There's a HRES ECMWF on WxBell now. Try that one out.

Thanks for that info.  I never noticed it being there and its MUCH better than those ridiculous ones I was using.  +10 for it also giving me a token few flakes. 

Looking back at November 19,2000 snow event we netted almost 3 inches IMBY that day. That was a result of almost.70 qpf total. So we really need to root for the models to become wetter. It will be Monday before the players all get inside better raob and hopefully the models will become juicer. Have to say though I can see the qpf not being there in the foothills/piedmont region. It's been like this for the past 2 months. hopefully the trends over the next 4-5 model runs will improve. Eitheir way nice to have something to chase and maybe some folks on this board can see some flakes for the first time.

Looking back at November 19,2000 snow event we netted almost 3 inches IMBY that day. That was a result of almost.70 qpf total. So we really need to root for the models to become wetter. It will be Monday before the players all get inside better raob and hopefully the models will become juicer. Have to say though I can see the qpf not being there in the foothills/piedmont region. It's been like this for the past 2 months. hopefully the trends over the next 4-5 model runs will improve. Eitheir way nice to have something to chase and maybe some folks on this board can see some flakes for the first time.

This time around the atmosphere has more cold air to work with. If we get the precip, then ratios will be much higher than that....... 0.70 inches of liquid out of this storm will result in much higher snow totals than the 2000 event.

This time around the atmosphere has more cold air to work with. If we get the precip, then ratios will be much higher than that....... 0.70 inches of liquid out of this storm will result in much higher snow totals than the 2000 event.

Now there is the problem.  We have the soundings to work with, but now the system is drying up. If its not one thing its another here in NC.   We need an increase in moisture out of the models today if this thing is going to happen.

Don't worry about moisture profiles this far in advance. It's unlikely the models are getting the details exactly right. Once the energy comes ashore and is better sampled, we'll get a more accurate solution set. But until then, I wouldn't worry too much about the specific placement or amounts of any precip.

The flow is very progressive, and in these situations, the most reasonable forecast would be very light precipitation outside of the mountains, given the current modeling. Plus, there will be a goodly amount of dry air to overcome. Hopefully, there will be enough lift and moisture to give many a few flakes, but I think accumulations are a long shot...not impossible...but not likely IMO. But any flakes this time of year are awesome.

All that said, things could come together perfectly, still. Maybe the models are missing something critical that isn't currently being sampled well. But the flow is fast, so it will take perfection to see some of those solutions reappear from the other day.

What needs to happen to see more moisture transport into the southeast is for the trough to gain a more neutral tilt before it gets to the southeastern states. In order for that to happen, we need to see stronger upper level energy (vorticity) further west diving more sharply southward instead of southeastward. It is still possible that this could happen as all of the energy invovled will not be well sampled in the RAOB network (the CONUS) until it now appears Monday morning or afternoon. If there is going to be a substantial trend back towards more precip, I think that will be the timeframe it could happen in.

Not saying it will, this very well could end up just being a dry or mostly dry fropa - and it will for most of us east of the Apps if the upper trough verifies being as positively tilted as what is currently depicted by the GFS.

What needs to happen to see more moisture transport into the southeast is for the trough to gain a more neutral tilt before it gets to the southeastern states. In order for that to happen, we need to see stronger upper level energy (vorticity) further west diving more sharply southward instead of southeastward. It is still possible that this could happen as all of the energy invovled will not be well sampled in the RAOB network (the CONUS) until it now appears Monday morning or afternoon. If there is going to be a substantial trend back towards more precip, I think that will be the timeframe it could happen in.

Not saying it will, this very well could end up just being a dry or mostly dry fropa - and it will for most of us east of the Apps if the upper trough verifies being as positively tilted as what is currently depicted by the GFS.

Darn it you be me too it.  I was about to note that the trough is too positive needs to be getting neutral tilted by AL,GA. The moisture is there in the GOM based on the RH fields. That mechinism needs to pull that moisture in and will not do that on a positive tilted trough.

Everyone's favorite model, the NAM, has the weak lee side low near GSP with light precip across western upstate into the NC foothills as thicknesses lower.  That's good climo for lee side development - http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/WRFEAST_12z/wrfloop.html

This is one type of setup where the models can underdo QPF, but I share the concerns above about the pos tilt trough

This is the main reason I'm not investing in this particular system.  To me, that energy would really have to be almost bullied straight south, and I'm not convinced it can.  At least, not enough for the trough to gain a neutral tilt in time.  That's my opinion of course - I would love to see someone get a few flakes from this.

I'm glad we seem to be setting a nice pace just ahead of the season, and this is certainly 100% more fun than our last two.

Darn it you be me too it.  I was about to note that the trough is too positive needs to be getting neutral tilted by AL,GA. The moisture is there in the GOM based on the RH fields. That mechinism needs to pull that moisture in and will not do that on a positive tilted trough.

True, too progressive as currently modeled. The Doc has had a bias of cutting off pieces of energy in a positively tilted trough, but that usually happens over the southwest part of the country. This is highly unusual and I would have not even considered it to be a possibility until the GFS came out with a similar solution. I will give it until Sunday night to see the trends before I declare it a "non-event" for our area.

While I love seeing that strong high heading right at Texas, which bodes well for winter (if that keeps up), that sucker is going to be very dry, and that paltry bit of precip showing on the maps is going to have a hard time being anything more than virga.  I sure would like to see that patch moisten up between now and Monday. It's like relying on a clipper...it'll make you cry nearly every time....at least in the parts of Ga. the Gfs shows getting precip.  Except maybe NeGa....and where is he?  He looks to be in the catbird seat again, if any moisture does find it's way to the ground.  Tony

i am here lol.  been doing a lot of remodeling work, painting, etc on the house.  it started with a room then expanded to all the rooms - took a lot longer than i thought but now am about done. and just in time it seems :) even if this doesnt pan out (i am highly skeptical at this point) it does bode well for the upcoming winter if we can get this pattern to set up to repeat a couple of times.

i admit i was shocked when i got to the post that had the snow in nga and the upstate. originally i just thought it was for the nc mtns

bring it on!!

Everyone's favorite model, the NAM, has the weak lee side low near GSP with light precip across western upstate into the NC foothills as thicknesses lower.  That's good climo for lee side development - http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/WRFEAST_12z/wrfloop.html

This is one type of setup where the models can underdo QPF, but I share the concerns above about the pos tilt trough

Simulated NAM radar at 84 hours looks a little encouraging:

nam_namer_084_sim_radar.gif

Archived