Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Mid November Event

BullCityWx

GFS does manage to close off around 120 near Elizabeth City

Yeah the 12z is a huge step in the right direction as far as the cutoff is concerned...make it happen a bit earlier and we're in business. IDK when the last time the GFS showed a decent cutoff on land or on the coast for this storm before this run (if ever), it's always formed way OTS. I'll take it and wait for 18z and 0z.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am here lol.  been doing a lot of remodeling work, painting, etc on the house.  it started with a room then expanded to all the rooms - took a lot longer than i thought but now am about done. and just in time it seems :) even if this doesnt pan out (i am highly skeptical at this point) it does bode well for the upcoming winter if we can get this pattern to set up to repeat a couple of times.

i admit i was shocked when i got to the post that had the snow in nga and the upstate. originally i just thought it was for the nc mtns

bring it on!!

Glad to see ya!  If this thing can squeeze out a bit more than a flake, then you'll be reporting it, I expect...or Rosie, if it's further west.  I  think the big take away from the maps lately are the strong highs coming down heading for Texas.  The 0z had another after this one .  We didn't have much of that last year, or the year before.    I think if we can get MetalMan's pipes to freeze early then we'll have a decent cold winter, lol.  I believe in the cold coming, but I'll have to see more moisture on the maps to believe in anything beyond virga for us.

And, a general question to any, or all.  If the resolution, and input on the 06, and 18z, are the same, then why is the output on the 12z and 0z often so different from the ones in between?  I.E., the 0z had more moisture, the 6z almost was dried up, and now the 12z has more moisture again...and if history is a template, then the 18z will have something crazy on it.  I see this quite often, and still mentally discount the 06 and the 18, even though I know they all carry equal weight to the scientists.  The 0z will say yes to something, the 6z will say no, definitely, but then the 12z will say yes, yes, and the 18z will say, "chocolate, ahhhhhaaaggggg". T

GFS does close off at 120, and Euro now too I suppose.  Sorry guys. :(  Too little too late.  Depending on the moisture; many may see a few flakes fly around outside the mountains.  Euro did put around 2 inches close to GSP etc. Tad bit of GA.  But for us guys in the midlands, clt, etc.. better to see a flake or two than nothing.

The 12Z Doc is far less favorable looking than the fascinating 0Z due to more positive tilt. It has no E SC snow and has less for ATL (under 1") and less for Cumming NE to upstate SC (1-1.5").For Atlantans, keep in mind that it hasn't snowed measurably in Nov since 1975 and there have been only 3 measurable since 1890 (also 1968, 1912).

Thing is that we are tenths of an inch in QPF.  I don't know if you can say one model caved to the other when we are talking such small amounts, and pretty small differences up high at 500mb.  Hopefully more of us than not can see a couple of flakes in the air next week.  

Great point and I did let myself get a little too excited over the snow chance (that was weak to begin with) than for the super strong High Pressure and the overall possibilites this Winter.  I understand the isobars are different this time of the year; but as dsaur has noted, we see more HP deals coming down the pipeline possibly.

Watching JB this morning revealed a possible -NAO, -AO, and I belive +PNA for a short amount of time not too far from now.  Maybe, just maybe.. something can come from that around Thanksgiving for someone, somewhere.

Our best hope if everything verbatim falls in the dry air without eating up our moisture and if it is cold enough maybe it will trend wetter starting Monday.

The lighter grey areas I believe are a rain snow mix per one or two soundings checked in SC. (the majority of it) at least.  For this to be much of anything, it has to trend wetter for most of us.  Still awesome to see this early in November though regardless!

EDIT:

Here is some output from KGSP:

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/image_loader.phtml?site=kgsp&nam=on&nam_mos=on&namm=on&gfs_mos=on&gfs=on&gfsm_mos=on&gfsm=on&nws=on&rap=on&obs=on&nam4km=on&con=on&ratio=11&max_t=on

Our best hope if everything verbatim falls in the dry air without eating up our moisture and if it is cold enough maybe it will trend wetter starting Monday.

For sure!   My worries too, I know models account for dry air and saturation, but when its not much QPF it leaves the door open for the nice snowstorm a couple thousand feet above you. I know I have had my fair share of those as we all have.  

Archived