Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Mid November Event

BullCityWx

Liked · 13 minutes ago 
We have not posted much in the way of model forecast snowfall amounts up to this point, as there have been some unreaslistically wild depictions out there over the last few days. However, we're starting to see the models settle down and look a bit more realistic in depicting some light snow for parts of the southern Appalachians and adjacent foothill areas for Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. Here's one such run that looks like it might have a decent handle on the location of light snowfall accumulations. More details to come over the next couple of days.

1391949_669304139770038_2122327857_n.jpg

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks like the most reasonable conclusion all things considered.

Yes, even though GFS had moisture into the midlands of SC, it looks like the majority of the members say rain if anything.  Now the temps and moisture is the issue for us down here.  GSP may fare a tad bit better if the moisture makes it.

Anderson's snow mean was 0.04in.. lol

NWS Greenville

East of the mountains there could also be some snow Tuesday night. The GFS BUFKIT soundings show developing as the Arctic drape moves through at pretty much every site. A storm total snow grid has been generated for the event and will be posted on our social media pages soon. For now measurable snowfall has been confined to the NC mountains...but even folks in the lower elevations of the western Carolinas and NE Georgia should monitor this event. 

NWS Blacksburg

There should still be enough recovery in moisture to produce accumulating snow for all or most of the area. Majority of the accumulating snow will be along western slopes and higher elevations. With a relatively warm ground and a west winds as the front tracks over the region...may limit snow accumulations east of the Blue Ridge to grassy/elevated surfaces. 

This is a dynamic and changing situation.  I posted this video to show the chance of snow in certain areas, in my opinion at the moment.  I am not very enthusiastic about it at the moment because it could prove to be a bust.  Upper air disturbances are always very difficult to forecast, and can change just 6-12 hours before the forecast, so it is very unwise to even be discussing accumulation potential right now, in my opinion.  So, I gave percentages of seeing snow fall in given areas.  I could see situations where the foothills and piedmont of NC gets a dusting of snow, others where SC and northern Georgia gets a dusting of snow.  Certainly a dynamic and changing situation that will be fun to track over the next few days.

If this was Jan. I'd be interested in the combination of a gulf feed, and another high moving into the midsection late weekend/next week.  The Gfs has had a bout of gulf energy showing up from time to time for a week or more, and lately highs moving down with cold toward the se.  Penny ante stuff is fun, but the older I get the more I need the big gulf lows, the big cold highs, and a 100 year duzy...... every year, lol.  Time is getting too short, for nickle and dime stuff anymore.  If we are going to time up some moisture, and some cold two or three times a year, then let's make it count!! I keep watching the Katla cam hoping for help, but it looks like the hope is resting on rare occurrences for now :)  At least Goofy is offering up some funny candy inside of 8 days, or so. That could make this winter fun as opposed to the last few years.  And any way, a foot deep sleet in Nov. is only marginally more rare than one in Jan. :)  T

As 1300m has mentioned about this not being sampled yet. While I don't know much about the Raob Network overall.

But my question for 1300m....Why do you think it will be tuesday before it is sampled good enough?

This disturbance is coming from Arctic orgins... Siberia over to Alaska. Are there not areas in Alaska that do upper air soundings(balloons)? If the case or if not the case wouldn't better data sampling begin later tonight into tomorrow afternoon. Thus possibly better feedback beginning sometime with in the next 24 hours.

But my gut feeling and amatuer eyes tell me that there will be a decent snow for this time of year in upstate SC,NC,VA. Even though the operations runs have gone from one extreme to the other.

That is the 12 and 18z ensemble mean gfs. Still would indicate possible stronger further west and more neutrally tilted trough by the time it gets on the EC.

gfs-ens_z500_vort_us_17.png

gfs-ens_z500_vort_us_17.png

No model has precip there from what I've seen lately.

Smdh..

Thats because the evolution of this storm is still a figment of imagination or the computers imagination. The overall longwave pattern would support a tranisent quick hitting sc,nc,va snowstorm imo. The reason why Suncat is the fact if this storm is true... it will begin Tuesday Afternoon/Night into Wednesday Afternoon pulling out by overnight Wed.

has flurries down as far south as macon this run, now a bad run for thoe who just want to see some snow fall from the sky in georgia.

Roger that, sir.  Even if I have to stay up into the wee hours I'll have the floodlights on waiting for that most rare, most elusive creature, the Maconus Novemberus SnowFlakus.

It seems to me the trend is drier and drier, though.

Archived