• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Mid November Event

BullCityWx

This one is going to be forced primarily by strong frontogenesis, so what is coming towards the mountains isn't what we're looking for. The band coming across the mountains will almost definitely dry up in 20 to 30kts of downslope flow - this is the direct effects of the positively tilted trough on the wind field. If our trough had been neutrally tilted, winds would have been more southwesterly, allowing moisture to be transported into the region (along with surface cyclogenesis), rather than drying up in downslope flow.

The only thing that may allow us to see a few token flakes today is the incredible horizontal temperature gradient (especially aloft), which results in a secondary restoring circulation - i.e. frontogenesis - which will result in a renewed area of lift just *behind* the front. Hopefully, this will result in some rain changing to snow for just an hour or so this afternoon. I think the HRRR probably has a good handle on how today's scenario will play out. It shows the secondary area of precipitation developing behind the front over VA and making it's way southward across NC. Looking at the soundings, there is probably only a 1-2 hour window for any one area to see any snow, and not all areas will see anything or may only see rain if moisture doesn't hang around long enough or if rates aren't strong enough to cool the lowest 1,000 feet or so of the atmosphere.

As others have already said, the strength of this fall front is the story here - and it may be strong enough to generate a few snow showers on it's own despite an otherwise unfavorable precipitation pattern.

Great explaination! 

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one is going to be forced primarily by strong frontogenesis, so what is coming towards the mountains isn't what we're looking for. The band coming across the mountains will almost definitely dry up in 20 to 30kts of downslope flow - this is the direct effects of the positively tilted trough on the wind field. If our trough had been neutrally tilted, winds would have been more southwesterly, allowing moisture to be transported into the region (along with surface cyclogenesis), rather than drying up in downslope flow.

The only thing that may allow us to see a few token flakes today is the incredible horizontal temperature gradient (especially aloft), which results in a secondary restoring circulation - i.e. frontogenesis - which will result in a renewed area of lift just *behind* the front. Hopefully, this will result in some rain changing to snow for just an hour or so this afternoon. I think the HRRR probably has a good handle on how today's scenario will play out. It shows the secondary area of precipitation developing behind the front over VA and making it's way southward across NC. Looking at the soundings, there is probably only a 1-2 hour window for any one area to see any snow, and not all areas will see anything or may only see rain if moisture doesn't hang around long enough or if rates aren't strong enough to cool the lowest 1,000 feet or so of the atmosphere.

As others have already said, the strength of this fall front is the story here - and it may be strong enough to generate a few snow showers on it's own despite an otherwise unfavorable precipitation pattern.

Thanks for the explanation. At least it will be cold and windy today and feel like Fall/Winter.

Temps are ALWAYS a problem in the south . Rain today! :(

And with this post, we've officially just entered the rain = evil season where nonwintry precip. is treated as an absolutely horrible thing by many on the bb (but certainly not Tony). It is happening about a month early thanks to the snow threat. Of course, it is silly to treat rain as evil when one considers that some 98% of the winter's liquid equiv. falls as rain on avg. at ATL and some 95% or so does the same at RDU. Brick usually is the one to start the rain = evil season, but I guess he's been too busy doing extra early campaigning for WoTY.

Thanks for the explaination 1300m. That model looks to be farily accurate from my standpoint atleast what I see on radar atm and the amount of clouds developing looking back towards the W/NW towards Danville area.

Per the GFS, the 0Z sounding for Faynam...

attachicon.gif00sounding.png

Believe it or not, that would be a snow sounding if you could get enough moisture to fall. There's enough dry air below 850mb that evaporative cooling would cool the column to below freezing. However, it's going to take a little bit of time to moisten up that column, and the question will be is there enough moisture available?

Believe it or not, that would be a snow sounding if you could get enough moisture to fall. There's enough dry air below 850mb that evaporative cooling would cool the column to below freezing. However, it's going to take a little bit of time to moisten up that column, and the question will be is there enough moisture available?

Agree entirely, 1300m. Hoping the recent juicing trend will at least give us more than a nice virga display. None of it will stick around, but dangit ... if we're going to get this cold, at least have something to show for it!

Don't hug the RAP (aka CRAP) model too closely!  I have been suckered in by it too many times over the past two or three years.  It promises really heavy returns and keeps pushing it back later until it disappears.  Right now, it's showing over .15 qpf.  If I get that much IMBY I will gladly eat my hat!

latest RAP shows a band of decent precip this afternoon/night.

RAP_255_2013111215_F11_CREF_SURFACE.png

Man, Pack. I've been burnt in the past by the RAP, too. Let's just hope it is right this time.

I hope so too.... Even though composite view of the radar still nice band developing south of Martinsville.

First though hopefully get these temps down some before the precip moves it. It did spike to 56 here a little while ago but at 51

I would be happy to see a few flurries this evening but not overly optimistic. 12z GFS is still less than 1/10", with timing somewhere between 8am-midnight. It does appear too warm initially with the last 600-1k ft above freezing, taking into account very - rates , drizzle. I for one am ready for winter, wind is starting to pick up and temps should start to fall shortly.

Archived