joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Mid November Event

BullCityWx

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what kind of track record NAM hires has...

nam-hires_namer_060_sim_reflectivity.gif

But If only we could get the parent long wave trough to slow down just enough to allow this S/W to develop. It would be pure awesomeness for this time of year. But not likely to happen though. The flow is just too fast for this to develop stronger.

Personally, I do not place a lot of merit on what the 6z and 18z runs of the GFS shows.  I pretty much stick to the 0z and 12z runs of the GFS to forecast along with other models.  I have personally noticed they tend to be more accurate.

Additionally, I do believe there is a chance of a snow shadow developing across the foothills of North Carolina.  The key will lie in the direction of the wind; however, it is difficult to determine the direction of the wind too far out.  10-20 degrees can make a big difference in drying out and possibly allowing some flurries to make it down out of the higher elevations.

This is definitely an interesting forecast, and I will continue to look forward to watching the changes tomorrow.

For all locations, the best chance to see snow will be in the mountains; however, accumulations do not look likely outside of 2500 feet or below. In matter of fact, anything outside of a dusting outside of the mountains would shock me at the moment.

But, it is nice to be talking about the chance of snow in November, we usually do not get to do this.

My main concern for the flizzard now are temps . The start time looks to be around 4 or 5 pm. The cold air 9 out of 10 times , never gets across the mtns fast enough! I would hate to get .15 of precip and .14 be rain. :(

Temperatures will be a main concern because the energy is modeled to arrive around three hours earlier than thought. This is not good for snow and will need to be watched.

The only myth around here is Waycross ! The 18z and 6z use old data! We do talk about this every winter!

I used to think this, too, but for what it's worth...

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/32149-gfs-12z-and-0z-runs-compared-to-6z-and-18z-runs/

The snow might disappoint, but the panthers won't.   :thumbsup: 

Yep, nice win! :)

I thought that was a myth about the 6z and 18z runs. It comes up every year. They are all the same.

I assume you are discussing this, http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/32149-gfs-12z-and-0z-runs-compared-to-6z-and-18z-runs/.

While I understand this point, I know meteorologist, both in the public and professors at UNC-Asheville, who refuse to even look at the 6z and 18z except for entertainment purposes. The general consequences is due to the soundings, which is noted to be only a small part of the observation system.

So, I can understand why someone would use the 18z and 6z runs; however, I prefer not to use it to make changes to the weather forecast.

Additionally, I sure do hope the 18z is wrong because I really would like to see some flakes here in the mountains before I graduate!  In matter of fact, it would be nice for everyone to see some snow Tuesday!

Archived