• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
November 2013 pattern and discussion

WxJordan

I'll go ahead and state something many of you are thinking.

Early-Mid November snow outside of the mountains? Climo says no way.

This will either be a once in a 100 year type of deal or the models are faking us out before we even get to December 1st.  Pretty much win win in my book.  I tend to take a cynical or contrarian point of view so it would be fun to watch the fallout from the model fakeouts but also pretty awesome to see some flakes fly next week as well.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will either be a once in a 100 year type of deal or the models are faking us out before we even get to December 1st.  Pretty much win win in my book.  I tend to take a cynical or contrarian point of view so it would be fun to watch the fallout from the model fakeouts but also pretty awesome to see some flakes fly next week as well.

Climo says no way due to the fact that it is usually too warm in the mid/lower levels this time of year for snow. However, this push of cold air "as modeled" is cold enough. This makes it a real threat. If we get the precip with those type of soundings it will snow..... regardless of the time of year. The uncertainty lies in the amount of precip..... not whether it will be cold enough.

The euro has piqued my curiosity about next weeks setup. Even though the GFS is a whiff at the moment in comparison, 18z gives some semblance of cutoff potential at H5 around 114hrs, you can see the energy trying but it did not quite get there. 

11/8 18z@114

attachicon.gifgfs18114.JPG

11/8 0z@132

attachicon.gifgfs00132.JPG

Allan commented about the 150kt jet streak showing up off the NC/VA coast on twitter (on the 12z GFS), mentioned it would argue for development further west than what that particular run showed.  

250mb from the 18z @114

attachicon.gif18250jet.JPG

Could it be that energy in eastern Canada being much further south and kicking the vort not allowing it to close off? I think that particular area of energy is also almost non-existent on the Euro runs that have the cutoff and big qpf solutions.

Hundred year events have to happen sometime! Why not a snow event for a lot of us? It's only 4 days out and things are being sniffed out. The 18z GFS was a thing of beauty! With a high like that coming down , the cold air will be around.

The Appalachian Storm of 1950 hammered Knoxville... so it's already happened for us before I was even born.

Could it be that energy in eastern Canada being much further south and kicking the vort not allowing it to close off? I think that particular area of energy is also almost non-existent on the Euro runs that have the cutoff and big qpf solutions.

The vortex over New Foundland and Labrador is very important, both models have it, small degrees of variability at this range with regards to seperation from the long wave axis.  The GFS does differ with a stronger piece of energy diving just south of the Hudson Bay.  The 0z GFS graphic I posted above looks similar to the Euro for that particular area, the 18z GFS image shows a polar vortexone the west side of the Hudson Bay around 498dm, something the ECMWF is missing.  Below is the 12z euro h5 at 120, timestamp should be the same as the gfs images above, 12z next Wednesday.

post-382-0-52891300-1383959016_thumb.jpg

What tickles me is I could win my non bet with Burnsy on the first event of the season, and it's not even winter.  I think the cold is coming, but I'm more sceptical of the moisture.  We haven't had much of a track record lately in Ga. :)  If it could produce more than a few flurries, virga storms, I'd be hopeful for the rest of the winter.  It always gets cold in winter, but can it produce rain as well?  I sure hope so. T

Larry Cosgrove:  "As to where we go on and after Thanksgiving week, the ENSO signals and early 500MB indicators would seem to favor a colder turn for most of the nation. Some may disagree (because no three month averages show this set-up), but the current equatorial Pacific Ocean SST anomaly signal is very much like a weak west-based "Modoki" El Nino episode (look at the TAO/TRITON illustration for proof....). That is a teleconnection favoring eventual build-up of -EPO and -AO blocking signatures. Note also that in the first week of November, the upper level features showed extensive ridging at high latitudes (Alaska and Canada), with negative height anomalies over the western three-quarters of the U.S. Admittedly, the snow cover could be more widespread, and the lack of a clear water temperature trend in the Gulf of Alaska are arguments against predicting any mad rush of bitter cold or early-season blizzards. But if we follow the 1981-82 analog, which overall seems the closest to this fall, our "up-and-down" character of October and November may turn into a solid run of tundra-like conditions in the period from Christmas 2013 to Valentine's Day 2014.

Just be patient, winter weather enthusiasts."

Larry Cosgrove:  "As to where we go on and after Thanksgiving week, the ENSO signals and early 500MB indicators would seem to favor a colder turn for most of the nation. Some may disagree (because no three month averages show this set-up), but the current equatorial Pacific Ocean SST anomaly signal is very much like a weak west-based "Modoki" El Nino episode (look at the TAO/TRITON illustration for proof....). That is a teleconnection favoring eventual build-up of -EPO and -AO blocking signatures. Note also that in the first week of November, the upper level features showed extensive ridging at high latitudes (Alaska and Canada), with negative height anomalies over the western three-quarters of the U.S. Admittedly, the snow cover could be more widespread, and the lack of a clear water temperature trend in the Gulf of Alaska are arguments against predicting any mad rush of bitter cold or early-season blizzards. But if we follow the 1981-82 analog, which overall seems the closest to this fall, our "up-and-down" character of October and November may turn into a solid run of tundra-like conditions in the period from Christmas 2013 to Valentine's Day 2014.

I think Cosgrove and Bastardi are overhyping and stretching with this continual weak El Ninoish talk for this winter. Barring a miracle, this winter will be neutral, something I've pretty much been saying for awhile.

Larry Cosgrove: "As to where we go on and after Thanksgiving week, the ENSO signals and early 500MB indicators would seem to favor a colder turn for most of the nation. Some may disagree (because no three month averages show this set-up), but the current equatorial Pacific Ocean SST anomaly signal is very much like a weak west-based "Modoki" El Nino episode (look at the TAO/TRITON illustration for proof....). That is a teleconnection favoring eventual build-up of -EPO and -AO blocking signatures. Note also that in the first week of November, the upper level features showed extensive ridging at high latitudes (Alaska and Canada), with negative height anomalies over the western three-quarters of the U.S. Admittedly, the snow cover could be more widespread, and the lack of a clear water temperature trend in the Gulf of Alaska are arguments against predicting any mad rush of bitter cold or early-season blizzards. But if we follow the 1981-82 analog, which overall seems the closest to this fall, our "up-and-down" character of October and November may turn into a solid run of tundra-like conditions in the period from Christmas 2013 to Valentine's Day 2014.

lol

Euro looking to bring the first arctic outbreak of the season by D10.  That's a serious temp gradient:

Looks like this will set off a new -NAO pattern as this trough digs in and pumps up hts over Greenland

Yep that's a good look if it can keep. That cold air is diving hard fast at the end of the Euro run.

Just like last winter, this far out, any hint of a major storm has to be taken with five pounds of salt.  It's very pretty to look at, but likely to change many times before zero hour. The best winter storms we've had in central NC have been the ones that were not forecast a week or more in advance.

Euro looking to bring the first arctic outbreak of the season by D10.  That's a serious temp gradient:

HoMfQ0m.gif

Looks like this will set off a new -NAO pattern as this trough digs in and pumps up hts over Greenland

x4yySPe.gif

Ya the Euro has really shown this type setup albeit out past 7 days for several runs know. GFS has not jumped on but we will see. That trough means business.

Archived