• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
November 2013 pattern and discussion

WxJordan

My flurry hopes dashed, I, along with Tony, look for comfort in the CPC 6-10 day precipitation forecast.

"Above average". 

That's something that I don't think I've seen since June. (and only heard a few times in my whole life;)

This jives with the GFS wanting to bring some love out of Peter's Mudhole next weekend.

610day.02.gif

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's rather notable that we're getting these rather substantial cold HP systems despite a strong +AO/NAO. Here we are about to greet a 1045mb high in the next couple of days. The high amplitude in the wave pattern out in the Pacific has been the big player here.  If and when a sizable block does punch its way into the arctic/greenland region, we'll be ready to roll as far as storminess and prolonged cold goes.

For now, enjoy the old fashioned fall weather.

We now have a full 24 hours worth of model cycles (Tues 0z/12z and Wed 0z) where the GFS develops a blocking pattern in the latter part of the run. All three runs show a different evolution but they all lead to a variation of blocking over Baffin Bay or Greenland by Thanksgiving Week. Depending on exactly how this forms, we could be headed to a really fun pattern after the holiday.

Euro splitting the PV over the pole with the ridge now shown punching into Greenland as well.  Before, this ridge was being shunted east toward Scandinavia.

*IF* this unfolds, this would likely portend another coming Arctic shot (and who knows what else) by Thanksgiving week. Certainly something to watch!

I hope so.  I'm already getting tired of these side swipe highs.  What we need is one to blast all the way down to Fla, stay a few days, or more, and slap the fool out of MetalMan when he steps outside :)  Meanwhile the rain still has a gulf component, but not as impressive as a week back :)  Funny how that works.  Oh, well, some blocking will cure a lot of ills.  Let it be so.  T

Archived