Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November 2013 Obs

metalicwx366

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice rain event across the mtns of Western NC over the last 24 hours helped along by a 65 knot low level jet out of the SW. This event was almost completely driven by orthographic forcing.

Map depicts rainfall amounts that have fallen over the last 24 hours as per the NASA rain gauge network.

Most interesting is to follow the path that the low level jet took as it first crossed over Cullowhee producing only 0.14" of rain..then being forced to ascent the Plott Balsams mtns wringing out 0.92" at 6100 foot level and 0.45 at Balsam Gap..then as the low-jet dried up it only managed to produce 0.01" of rain in Canton.

post-9361-0-67285700-1383306785_thumb.jp

How is that a nice rain event when none of the locations you pointed out received over an inch? It's not like it will rain in the next 4+ days up there.

See attached revised map. I have combined Cocorahs, NWS Hydrology sites, and NASA network together.  The most fell at Newfound gap..1.40".  The models were printing out about 0.5 to 0.7" for this event so in general it overperformed in the higher/SW facing slopes and underperformed everywhere else. Most fascinating is the crazy rainfall patterns around the Plott Balsams.

post-9361-0-49360000-1383312942_thumb.jp

How is that a nice rain event when none of the locations you pointed out received over an inch? It's not like it will rain in the next 4+ days up there.

See attached revised map. I have combined Cocorahs, NWS Hydrology sites, and NASA network together. The most fell at Newfound gap..1.40". The models were printing out about 0.5 to 0.7" for this event so in general it overperformed in the higher/SW facing slopes and underperformed everywhere else. Most fascinating is the crazy rainfall patterns around the Plott Balsams.

He wouldn't understand, everything is flat in gaycross.

.54 here.  Sun just popped out.

It hasnt done that yet here. Though I can see broken clouds and light in the western horizen. Clouds have been wanting to hang on. Which it will be very close but I think that next wave coming through SC might bring some light rain for you and me aswell.

.48 so far and it's still raining :wub:

Dont hog it all. :lol:

Atleast a few more hours of rain for your area.

Interesting wind gusts this evening across central NC that were not forecasted. 30-40 kts. Shortwave moved across the region and created enough lift to produce precipitation which was able to tap into the momentum from the jet at 20000ft and bring some gusty winds to the surface. Just thought that was interesting.

Archived