joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
After a nice weekend, the ugly head of humidity and summer return

Avdave

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still haven't figured out how sterling does their departures the last couple years. There is obviously rounding going on that I haven't quite gotten yet

It is all about rounding.  Take 8/1.  83/70. So, the average is 76.5.  They round up in the climo report to 77.  Meanwhile the norms are 88/71, which taken at face value would be 79.5, a -3 departure for the day.  But, the daily norm because of the rounding and smoothing they do with the 30 year averages turns out to be 79.  So, you have a rounded 77 and a rounded and smoothed 79, for a -2 departure.  Doesn't much matter for monthly climo since the unrounded values are used, and it minimally matters for daily climo because, really, outside of us who the hell cares.

It is all about rounding. Take 8/1. 83/70. So, the average is 76.5. They round up in the climo report to 77. Meanwhile the norms are 88/71, which taken at face value would be 79.5, a -3 departure for the day. But, the daily norm because of the rounding and smoothing they do with the 30 year averages turns out to be 79. So, you have a rounded 77 and a rounded and smoothed 79, for a -2 departure. Doesn't much matter for monthly climo since the unrounded values are used, and it minimally matters for daily climo because, really, outside of us who the hell cares.

Cool. That's what I thought. They used to use unrounded for the monthly as we went along which made it easier to track. Now it seems to be rounded? We should be a -2.2 but maybe that is because the norms are really 87.5/70.5? Otherwise the -1.7 makes no sense. I guess in the end it is 78.1 however they get there but don't understand -1.7 unless 88/71 is bogus.

Cool. That's what I thought. They used to use unrounded for the monthly as we went along which made it easier to track. Now it seems to be rounded? We should be a -2.2 but maybe that is because the norms are really 87.5/70.5? Otherwise the -1.7 makes no sense. I guess in the end it is 78.1 however they get there but don't understand -1.7 unless 88/71 is bogus.

I'm guessing you are right that somewhere in the climate system is an unrounded version of 88/71 and that is what is used for the departure-to-date, but I don't know for certain.

Another cloudy non-summer day. Just 68 degrees here, with rain. 

I bet you'd be ecstatic if we had this weather in January :)

We may have positive nighttime mins giving us positive departures for the summer months, but it has not been a hot summer. We've had a lot of cooler days. Hoping tomorrow is as nice as forecast.

Thank goodness for that

If it's not snowing, then yes, I would be more than happy to have 68 degree days in January. I love snow. I don't love cold.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Although the lack of thunderstorm activity has made it a bit boring at times, this summer has been OK in my book. Except for that one stretch in July -- when for most of it I was out of town in Beaufort SC where it wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as here, evidently -- this has been an easy summer. Another grade-A summer day today. Time to go out running. 

A lot going on in this picture, but a few things to point out. Each of the lines are 1 GFS run (the last 7).

Blue Line: Warm cloud depth, the higher the better the rain making efficiency. (Scale is the far left)

Red Line: Temperature (far right scale)

Green Line: Dew Point (far right scale)

Lower Green Line: Accumulated Rain Total (middle scale)
post-741-0-33318100-1375669356_thumb.png

tl;dr. IT GONNA RAIN!

Archived