• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2011-12

Severe totals for June and July in MD:

2011: 64 (35 June, 25 July)

2012: 164 (115 June, 49 July)

2013: 87 (77 June, 10 July)

2011 does beat 2013 in terms of a quiet June+July, but what is very notable is the scant 10 reports in MD in July compared to 25 in 2011. VA was even more notable in July with 187 reports in 2011, 247 reports in 2012 and 39 reports in 2013. June in VA had similar trends as June in MD.

(EDIT: Source data... http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/online/monthly/newm.html)

Got down to 52 here.  Pumpkins and beet seedlings love this, but the tomatoes and hot peppers no bueno.

My tomtoes and peppers have been loving the recent weather.  We haven't gotten much below 60 in this recent span of cool weather, so they can handle that without too much difficulty.  Beets, peas, lettuce, and spinach will be going in the ground in a couple weeks.

Beautiful morning. I can't remember the last time we had weather this nice in early August. How soon will we start to get a better handle on whats coming down the line for autumn colors?

WCs in the teens on the NNE peaks with even a trace of snow reported. Awesome.

My tomtoes and peppers have been loving the recent weather. We haven't gotten much below 60 in this recent span of cool weather, so they can handle that without too much difficulty. Beets, peas, lettuce, and spinach will be going in the ground in a couple weeks.

My peppers are going bonkers this year. Gonna be a lot of canning starting real soon.

Severe totals for June and July in MD:

2011: 64 (35 June, 25 July)

2012: 164 (115 June, 49 July)

2013: 87 (77 June, 10 July)

2011 does beat 2013 in terms of a quiet June+July, but what is very notable is the scant 10 reports in MD in July compared to 25 in 2011. VA was even more notable in July with 187 reports in 2011, 247 reports in 2012 and 39 reports in 2013. June in VA had similar trends as June in MD.

(EDIT: Source data... http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/online/monthly/newm.html)

I honesty don't remember 2011 after April much but it seems at least that the immediate DC area has done really poorly all year. Even the better events have mainly missed north and south.

My peppers are going bonkers this year. Gonna be a lot of canning starting real soon.

Nice.

I've never canned peppers.  I usually use them all for fresh and canned salsa, or I dry them in my dehydrator and either grind them up or throw them into my dill pickles for a little kick.  I have jalapenos, habaneros, Ring of Fire, and some random in my garden this year.

I've wanted to do pickled jalapenos for a few years now, but just haven't gotten to it.  If I can get enough by mid-September, which is when I usually have a ton going, I might give it a go.

Nice.

I've never canned peppers.  I usually use them all for fresh and canned salsa, or I dry them in my dehydrator and either grind them up or throw them into my dill pickles for a little kick.  I have jalapenos, habaneros, Ring of Fire, and some random in my garden this year.

I've wanted to do pickled jalapenos for a few years now, but just haven't gotten to it.  If I can get enough by mid-September, which is when I usually have a ton going, I might give it a go.

Just did my first ever canning of pickles Saturday.  I am pleased with how productive the cucumber plant has been this year. 

80/57 for a beautiful summer day.

Nice.

I've never canned peppers. I usually use them all for fresh and canned salsa, or I dry them in my dehydrator and either grind them up or throw them into my dill pickles for a little kick. I have jalapenos, habaneros, Ring of Fire, and some random in my garden this year.

I've wanted to do pickled jalapenos for a few years now, but just haven't gotten to it. If I can get enough by mid-September, which is when I usually have a ton going, I might give it a go.

If you try it, let me know and I'll share what I've learned over the years.

Just did my first ever canning of pickles Saturday.  I am pleased with how productive the cucumber plant has been this year. 

80/57 for a beautiful summer day.

I love pickles, especially nice garlicky, salty, dill-y, spicy homemade pickles. Ad I cold can them so they don't lose their crunch. Awesome.

Kind of like the weather today (like the segue?). Miraculous.

Yay for 4 days of rain chances and very little hope for severe.

I went back and checked the state severe report numbers for July... apparently they didn't finalize the end of the month yet, so report totals have gone up by a few in MD+VA. They just have the 29th-31st left to finalize, but I don't see any additional reports on the national numbers for that period.

It isn't just severe, there is just no thunder and lightning this year. Finally raining here, but it is another silent downpour, like almost all of them this summer. I'd love to have a historical LMA seasonal map to see how much it differs from prior years.

Just going off the CF6 data for July, DCA reported 11 days of thunder in July, with 7 days at IAD and 8 days at BWI. Charlottesville reported 8, Hagerstown 9, Martinsburg 5. Looks like DCA hit climo for thunder, but the rest of the region is below normal. Rain without thunder in summer makes me sad.

Archived