northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
After a nice weekend, the ugly head of humidity and summer return

Avdave

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit warm, but an otherwise nice morning. Looking forward to some nicer weather come Wednesday.

This is a bit OT, but I know there's a lot of amatuer photogs on the site, so......

Clear Meadow Farms in Baltimore County has planted their 2013 sunflower fields. If you have not seen them before, this is a must see and just a short drive (especially for the B'more folks). If I remember correctly, they planted roughly 300 acres worth last year. If the timing is anything like last year, they'll be blooming near the end of this month/labor day weekend with a peak bloom coming shortly therafter. The main field last year was at the corner of Hess Rd and Jarresttsville Pike.

The hi res models seem to like tonight more than tomorrow

I liked the image you posted on twitter of the hi-res NAM4k -- https://twitter.com/islivingston/status/366962974046429186/photo/1

SPC also gave a mention in 1630z OTLK

..MID ATLANTIC    LATER THIS EVENING/OVERNIGHT...THE CONTINUED EASTWARD PROGRESSION OF  THE AFOREMENTIONED UPPER IMPULSES...COUPLED WITH LARGER-SCALE TROUGH  AMPLIFICATION ACROSS MUCH OF THE NORTHEAST...MAY CONTRIBUTE TO AT  LEAST MODEST STRENGTHENING OF LOWER/MID TROPOSPHERIC FLOW FIELDS  /20-40+ KT/.  DESPITE THE UNFAVORABLE TIME OF DAY WITH RESPECT TO  INSTABILITY...THIS MAY BE SUFFICIENT TO SUPPORT AT LEAST LOW  PROBABILITIES FOR SEVERE WIND GUSTS...AS LARGE-SCALE FORCING ALONG  THE STALLED OR SOUTHWARD ADVANCING FRONTAL ZONE AIDS INCREASING  CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT. 

That sucks, but at least you'll have room for your fall plants!

Yes!

How long were you gone, and what plants did you have?  Sounds odd to have a dead garden given the relatively good growing weather recently.

I was gone 2 weeks and left it to a neighbor. I had cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, grape, peach and an Heirloom variety in a raised bed which can be tricky with watering. This is the first year that I have had trouble with my garden. I also dealt with Tomato horn worm this year. My basil plant is big and the grape tomato plant is still fruiting. 3 years of having a garden and this is the first year it has done this. I try to keep it organic so not sure if something disease wise got into it or what. I plan on rotating out my plants next year to try to get rid of the hornworm as I found it lives in the soil. Plus the CSA I am part of the last two weeks I have more tomatoes than I can eat. I have been canning most of them, and that is mostly what I did with my own plants.

Yes!

I was gone 2 weeks and left it to a neighbor. I had cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, grape, peach and an Heirloom variety in a raised bed which can be tricky with watering. This is the first year that I have had trouble with my garden. I also dealt with Tomato horn worm this year. My basil plant is big and the grape tomato plant is still fruiting. 3 years of having a garden and this is the first year it has done this. I try to keep it organic so not sure if something disease wise got into it or what. I plan on rotating out my plants next year to try to get rid of the hornworm as I found it lives in the soil. Plus the CSA I am part of the last two weeks I have more tomatoes than I can eat. I have been canning most of them, and that is mostly what I did with my own plants.

Gotcha. Two weeks is a while to leave a garden to someone else's care. Sorry to hear things went downhill. It's so frustrating when all that work goes for naught.

I've had some issues, as well. I got curly top virus on a few of my tomatoes (all heirloom varieties) and my cucumbers have contracted bacterial wilt (I saw some cucumber beetles on them recently, so they're definitely the culprits). Definitely my worst year of the last three, which is odd considering the beat of the last three years. But my peppers are coming along, thank God!

I started my fall garden this weekend, so I'm hoping things go OK with it.

And we're going to miss out on rain again...

FFW for Today:

* Through this afternoon

* an area of heavy rain has developed across the upper Ohio
Valley. This area of rainfall will track east across the Potomac
Highland... reaching the Baltimore Washington metropolitan area
in time for the morning commute. Rainfall of 2 to 3 inches will
be possible in less than 3 hours... leading to the possibility of
flash flooding.

Archived