• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Severe Weather possible weekend of the 21st?

weatherwiz

if you're closer to the core of the heat then you're further from the best flow. july 99 and aug 2006 had mcs/derecho events hit NNE

Yeah I was going to say that most of our cold fronts result in some big storms...the northern tier of New England and southern Quebec do decently with SVR when SNE/Mid-Atlantic roast.

The airmass changes after a hot spell usually produces some fun days up here.

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bulk shear values don't look as nice for CT/RI/E MA (25-30 kts) when compared to yesterday's model run (30-40 kts).

Also looks like timing of front has slowed slightly to make it more of an evening event.

The front does appear to have slowed down, although it still looks like we may see a pre-frontal trough setup.  There is a pretty strong cap up around 850-800mb which should help us to at least destabilize quite well.  As long as dews don't mix out and we see lapse rates around 6.5 C/KM I think we can get 3000-4000 SBcape and 1500-2500 MLcape.  Just going to have to watch how this is all played out on the models tomorrow.  

So I went and looked at this Saturday thunderstorm "event" for the first time.....not overly impressed.  Tons of CAPE, lack of shear.  

Don't pay any attention to the NAM at the moment.  It doesn't even get the front off the coast until Sunday evening.  While the GFS and Euro push it through Saturday evening.

I have my worries too about the timing of this front slowing down a bit more too.  The trough and vort max that spawn our cold front will be in the process of being absorbed by a rather large vortex just east of Hudson Bay.  My fear is that instead of the front swinging through the region, the front gets stretched and sags from NW to SE.

Eh who knows.  Maybe some kind of fujiwara effect occurs instead and the front blasts through early and we have an outbreak of supercells.  O wait, the needed shear for that is up near the Canadian Border.  

OKX GYX ENX all offline right now

Now you know something big this way cometh. Last night featured a great light show, constant flashes as that complex moved off the coast of ME. Appears the NNE is primed for a MCS, MCV or maybe a derecho. Models will not show this based on past episodes. Storms already firing N of Huron.

Tomorrow is a nothing day for SNE but today could be interesting if we get something to fire in the Great Lakes. The 12z soundings from OKX, ALB, and BUF (especially BUF) are quite unstable and without much CIN. 

Shear is lacking down this was but we'll have the instability available to maintain a thunderstorm complex if it forms. 

I could see something sneaking in today, and maybe a NNE MCS again overnight? There is a S/W coming through, but it's still capped.

Yeah I think maybe things will be a bit farther south? I'm interested in whether something forms near Lk Ontario. The Buffalo sounding is super unstable and not terrible capped. H7 temps around +9c here aren't bad either (compared to +12 tomorrow) so I do see some potential if we can generate something upstream. 

I could see something sneaking in today, and maybe a NNE MCS again overnight? There is a S/W coming through, but it's still capped.

12z NAM put together a complex that rolled southeastward from N.NY through VT/NH and into eastern MA... that looked possible based on the trajectory of that stuff in the northern Lakes right now.  Goes from like BTV to BOS.

The guys in CT will want to see something form further south in like the I-90 area of western/central NY.

f12.gif

Archived