• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Severe Weather possible weekend of the 21st?

weatherwiz

Impossible. CAp too strong. We won't even have clouds

It is going to be tough to generate much though unless the forcing is much stronger than modeled.  Even the storms that develop could struggle to grow very tall...though steeper lapse rates could help and if we can get MLcapes above 1500

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are many variables as far as severe weather goes, especially up here in the Northeast.

Just because one parameter is "marginal" or "unimpressive" does not mean that severe thunderstorms cannot happen.

True but it tends to diminish the chances in what is an already relatively poor area of the country for big-time severe.

We have less margin for error up in New England than they do in the Midwest where one ingredient missing can be overcome by like 4000kj of CAPE or something. Here we want as many favorable variables as possible lol.

True but it tends to diminish the chances in what is an already relatively poor area of the country for big-time severe.

We have less margin for error up in New England than they do in the Midwest where one ingredient missing can be overcome by like 4000kj of CAPE or something. Here we want as many favorable variables as possible lol.

an EML is probably the best ingredient to have for svr. it's difficult for one to make it this far east

It's too bad we're so capped on Friday. Wind fields look great - but 700mb temps are like +13 lol. 

Euro has virtually no QPF and I can't find anything aloft to really help out. Thursday is a long shot, but the nrn areas of SNE like nrn MA could clipped on the SW flank of any storms that move through NNE.

Euro has virtually no QPF and I can't find anything aloft to really help out. Thursday is a long shot, but the nrn areas of SNE like nrn MA could clipped on the SW flank of any storms that move through NNE.

Yeah Thursday has more potential than Friday... but meh.

Wind fields on Thursday suck though the cap is weaker. Wind fields on Friday are pretty robust but the cap is even more robust.

We'll have to wait for Saturday for fun. 

Yeah Thursday has more potential than Friday... but meh.

Wind fields on Thursday suck though the cap is weaker. Wind fields on Friday are pretty robust but the cap is even more robust.

We'll have to wait for Saturday for fun. 

I'm up at Lake Winni starting Friday so I'm hoping for something Friday or Saturday.

Nice. I'm solo at the station Saturday - should be an active day. 

Friday should be a furnace. 

You'll have a much better chance of seeing something roll off the mountains up there than you would at home at least.

They do well in the severe dept, at least compared to down here. It's always nice getting a good storm on the lake.

I'm only looking on my phone. My data is 850-500, but I think Wiz is looking at 750-500.

Both 12z and 18z values on bufkit were that high...also, the 18 run keeps those higher lapse rates here much longer.  Even looks like a very weak remnant EML that moves through overnight 

Ah, thanks guys. Hope those mid-level values hold, if not increase some more.

Interesting but each run of the GFS has trended a bit steeper with the 750-500 lapse rates...at least looking by bufkit

The 250 mb winds forecast for 18z Saturday have been increasing with each run. The stronger winds should result in greater divergence and lift beneath the right entrance region of the 250 mb jet. That increased lift may be the reason for the steeper the mid-level lapse rates.

The 250 mb winds forecast for 18z Saturday have been increasing with each run. The stronger winds should result in greater divergence and lift beneath the right entrance region of the 250 mb jet. That increased lift may be the reason for the steeper the mid-level lapse rates.

That ULJ is pretty impressive!  18z GFS has 135 knot ULJ streak which is pretty decent for July.

Definitely. You can see how low the tropopause is for this time of year north of the jet max with some 3-4 standard deviation anomalies of 250 mb temperature.

attachicon.gif250temp_stdanom_namer_73.gif

That's insane!  

I've always wondered about this with jet quadrants...

This is the 18z GFS run for 0z Sunday and you can see the ULJ streak and with us in the right entrance region enhancing lift...obviously the closer you are to the jet max the stronger the forcing but how far away do you really have to be before you technically aren't in the quadrant or to where it doesn't play a factor?

gfsNE_250_spd_102.gif

Archived