• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
The Big Wet of 2013

Wow

South of Atlanta is southern GA in my book.   :)

Edit:  Here's a map (in the style of our old pal WilkesboroDude) that gives my geographical interpretation of the state of GA.  Please forgive an outsider's viewpoint, but south of I-20 is south GA:

I guess it's all relative, I consider Macon southward is S. GA and I-20 down to Macon Central GA.

Then there are people like me who never consider it at all. :D

Sent from my Alex Bell crank phone using whatever the hell I want to use.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jonathan, my boy, them's fighting words :)   But I'll let it slid considering whatever you did per the moratorium has worked.  The dry slot  is delivering, as I write, another nice pouring of the rain stuff, such that I'm up to around 1.7 it looks like.  I'm not going out into the N. Ga. back yard to check closer, lol.  If I'm on the plateau I'm in N. Ga. and here I sit at nearly 1000 feet, and it ain't flat out there with a steep fall off.   But I know you less discerning Carolina folks think that Ga. ends at I 20, and below there be monsters...just as some of my less discerning friends, think that  NC St, Duke, and NC are all on the same campus, lol.  T

At the Biltmore Estate, part of the Approach Road has fallen off into the Swannanoa River.  For those of you familiar with the Estate, as you come in under the archway (Lodgegate), the road parallels the river.  You come to a bamboo patch and both the road and the river make a bend to the right.  This bend forces a deep pool to from on the river before finally ejecting diagonally right.  The road elevates above the river on an embankment at this point.  The force of the river undercut the embankment and took half the road with it.  Getting on and off the Estate has been a bit of an adventure today to say the least.

Jonathan, my boy, them's fighting words :)   But I'll let it slid considering whatever you did per the moratorium has worked.  The dry slot  is delivering, as I write, another nice pouring of the rain stuff, such that I'm up to around 1.7 it looks like.  I'm not going out into the N. Ga. back yard to check closer, lol.  If I'm on the plateau I'm in N. Ga. and here I sit at nearly 1000 feet, and it ain't flat out there with a steep fall off.   But I know you less discerning Carolina folks think that Ga. ends at I 20, and below there be monsters...just as some of my less discerning friends, think that  NC St, Duke, and NC are all on the same campus, lol.  T

Well, if you consider it N. GA, then that's good enough for me.  I think highly of your opinions and viewpoints; so, you've won me over.  Can we all agree on the fact that Waycross is basically at the equator, though?

More rain this afternoon.  Basement is getting a little damp...

At the Biltmore Estate, part of the Approach Road has fallen off into the Swannanoa River.  For those of you familiar with the Estate, as you come in under the archway (Lodgegate), the road parallels the river.  You come to a bamboo patch and both the road and the river make a bend to the right.  This bend forces a deep pool to from on the river before finally ejecting diagonally right.  The road elevates above the river on an embankment at this point.  The force of the river undercut the embankment and took half the road with it.  Getting on and off the Estate has been a bit of an adventure today to say the least.

Yep was a pain in the arse getting into the estate today. Took a while. Went in through the forest and after the tour went to the wine tasting and you could see the french broad river flood out into the fields near the winery and on the exit out too.

Back at the hotel now and seeing the dark clouds approach from the South as that line of storms and rain move towards AVL once again.

turned out to be a real nice day today. I am praying tomorrow to be the same as we hope to head into the high peaks of the Blue ridge and Smoky mtns. It can rain after 5pm all it wants tomorrow lol

we were there too..90 minutes to get in, that was rough

Well, if you consider it N. GA, then that's good enough for me.  I think highly of your opinions and viewpoints; so, you've won me over.  Can we all agree on the fact that Waycross is basically at the equator, though?

More rain this afternoon.  Basement is getting a little damp...

I certainly appreciate your great intelligence, and approbation in all matters.  And yes, most definitely,  The Crossing of the Ways is near  the arm pit, lol. 

Well, it took until late on the 6th day, but I'm finally getting out of the dry slot.  I'm up to 2.6 after a late afternoon/evening downpour.  Better late than never, I say, unless it's a poke in the eye :)  T

we were there too..90 minutes to get in, that was rough

Yeah that did suck. We got there around 945am and then actually got to the parking lot for the shuttle bus around 1030am.

They did a horrible job handling the re-route...had some heavy rain in asheville around 530 but arrived in waynesville for the rodeo at 8 and it was dry.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

1.75" over the last 3 days here. This system definitely has underperformed. I'm not sure a Flood Watch was even necessary. Hard to get much flooding when you have less than 2" in a 72 hour period.

I doubt you will get much agreement that this system has underperformed.

Sent from my Alex Bell crank phone using whatever the hell I want to use.

1.75" over the last 3 days here. This system definitely has underperformed. I'm not sure a Flood Watch was even necessary. Hard to get much flooding when you have less than 2" in a 72 hour period.

Maybe for the small microclimate of your backyard, but you can't back up that statement with too much other evidence.  The pages of this thread are full of accounts of deluges and floods from this continual tropical train of a system.  I've now recorded over 5 inches of rain IMBY for this system, with more on the way tomorrow and Sunday, most likely.  Most of the mountains and foothills of NC have more than that.    NE GA has been pounded with rain yesterday and today.

In addition, it's always much easier to look back and grade whether a watch was necessary or not.  Are you really condemning your local NWS forecast office because your house or property or neighborhood didn't flood?

I doubt you will get much agreement that this system has underperformed. Sent from my Alex Bell crank phone using whatever the hell I want to use.

He will get some agreement from me. Just kidding. In places where it didn't underperform, they overperformed. That will always be the case with events like these and especially snow events. I was expecting more, but it all depended on where those bands set up. We saw more rain in Jacksonville with a storm last night than the entire big wet event up in Waycross.

The totals from my co-workers' rain gauge’s range from 4.5 to 7 inches for the storm total.  These locations include oconee, pickens, and anderson counties in South Carolina.

We also cracked the 40 inch mark for the year this week!

I doubt you will get much agreement that this system has underperformed. Sent from my Alex Bell crank phone using whatever the hell I want to use.

A flood watch means all locations will go into flood.

Another .45 here at my house last night to put the total at 5.76

My totals are actually some of the lower figures in the county, I got confirmation yesterday that over 9 inches has fallen at the foot of Linville Mountain on US 221 and got a report that we're running in the Sunday paper of over 13 inches near Catawba Falls in the extreme Western part of McDowell County where the Catawba River heads.

Anybody read Robert's update this morning on the site?

If we want to make "The Big Wet of 2013" into a Broadway production, then the next act will be written starting tomorrow.

I did. I had noticed that the GFS was going bonkers with the rain here tomorrow. It has 5.5 inches at KCHA over the next 24 hours. IMBY this has so far been a non event (storm total is only 1.6 inches), but the far eastern suburbs have gotten over 4 inches. 5 more will cause serious problems.

Edit: very heavy rain has been falling ever since I originally posted this. Starting to get some flooding of minor creeks low lying areas now. Long train of moisture is coming in now.

And meteostar has me down for 2.25 for the period thru Friday :)  It's feast or famine with this set up depending how where the train track sets up.  I might get in 12 days what you might get in one day, lol. Of course, "might", and, "maybe" is only good for fairy tales.  We'll see what reality offers up for the coming week.  I had a look at the gage this morning, and shows 2.5 for the last 6 days.  T

Archived