• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big Wet of 2013

Wow

Robert, Thanks for taking time to post! A lot of what you posted on your site before this event is coming to fruition in the Mnts. of WNC. Twitter is a blaze with reports of flash flooding, flooding, mudslides, sinkholes, & water rescues. As you said in your post when you forecast a large area there are gonna be some hits & misses. NC Mnts was spot on & for that I would say job well done.

Yep I second this. We have really gotten nailed this week and look to get nailed tonight and tomorrow.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...that surge of moisture over the past 2 hours has resulted in a mud slide on 221 North at the McDowell/Avery/Burke line there next to Famous Louise's Restaurant. Those who have been up 221 know where I'm talking about...

1 inch-plus in last 2 hours...

Wow crazy. Saw were there was a sink hole up in Madison also.

Flood Warning

FLOOD WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

730 PM EDT WED JUL 3 2013

NCC021-040230-

/O.NEW.KGSP.FA.W.0041.130703T2330Z-130704T0230Z/

/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

BUNCOMBE NC-

730 PM EDT WED JUL 3 2013

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED A

* FLOOD WARNING FOR...

BUNCOMBE COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 1030 PM EDT

* AT 728 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED

SLOW MOVING THUNDERSTORMS WITH VERY HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS THE

WARNED AREA. ADDITIONAL RAINFALL OF ONE OR TWO INCHES IS POSSIBLE

ACROSS THE COUNTY THROUGH 10 PM.

* RUNOFF FROM THIS EXCESSIVE RAINFALL WILL CAUSE FLOODING TO OCCUR.

SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...DOWNTOWN

ASHEVILLE...ASHEVILLE MALL...AVERY CREEK...BARNARDSVILLE...BILTMORE

FOREST...BLACK MOUNTAIN...FAIRVIEW...I-26 AT I-40...LEICESTER...

SWANNANOA...UNC ASHEVILLE...WEAVERVILLE AND WOODFIN.

CREEKS AND STREAMS THAT EMPTY INTO THE SWANNANOA RIVER AND THE

FRENCH BROAD RIVER ARE LIKELY TO RUN OUT OF THEIR BANKS. URBAN

FLOODING AROUND THE CITY OF ASHEVILLE IS ALSO EXPECTED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

EXCESSIVE RUNOFF FROM HEAVY RAINFALL WILL CAUSE FLOODING OF SMALL

CREEKS AND STREAMS...HIGHWAYS AND UNDERPASSES. ADDITIONALLY...

COUNTRY ROADS AND FARMLANDS ALONG THE BANKS OF CREEKS...STREAMS AND

OTHER LOW LYING AREAS ARE SUBJECT TO FLOODING.

WHEN DRIVING ALONG ROADS WHERE THE TERRAIN IS STEEP OR ROCKY...REMAIN

ALERT FOR POSSIBLE ROCK OR MUD SLIDES DUE TO THE HEAVY RAIN.

&&

LAT...LON 3575 8234 3571 8228 3569 8230 3561 8227

3556 8233 3549 8234 3546 8237 3544 8253

3542 8254 3544 8255 3544 8263 3546 8267

3542 8275 3543 8277 3547 8280 3557 8277

3560 8280 3569 8280 3581 8251 3582 8236

$$

MOORE

Is the rain supposed to fill back in over East AL and West GA? Forecast calls for 1-2" of rain tonight and unless something develops it looks like we may get nothing.

Lol all that rain missed your backyard? But to answer your question, there is a big batch of moderate to heavy rain moving towards Atlanta from South and Central Georgia.

I guess I'm one of the few on here that's missing this. We are still only barely over a trace now in over a week and anything that comes our way dies before it arrives.

well you know that I can empathize with this, as I'm not too far and have been in that boat many times since 1998. And by boat, I mean dry dock. One only has to look at radar loops and the accumulated rainfall the last 7 days to see who sticks out like a sore thumb. I've already sucked up as to why I missed the lower Upstate to eastern GA region though, and unfortunately it doesn't look like much there is shaping up, as many here stated, the flow and forcing isn't in synch for your area.   There's a reason why I painted the GSP warning zone as number 1 in difficulty for forecast verification  last year....the proximity to the lee of the Southern Apps and an usual flow most of the time the last decade is to blame. The upper Midwest, Plains, Northeast, Gulf Coast,  even Midatlantic is no problem compared to a few select counties downwind the Smokies and Blue Ridge, really no matter what season it is.  If it's any consolation, I think once the 594 ridge is situated and stalled just offshore, your area will have decent climo pops on southwest flow from Friday through Sunday , one of which will probably get you. PS...no rain here either, save a trace in 3 days.

I guess I'm one of the few on here that's missing this. We are still only barely over a trace now in over a week and anything that comes our way dies before it arrives.

This is how I felt the past 6 days. The only day we received heavy rain was yesterday. Every other day we had dissipating showers moving towards the area including today then to only have redevelopment occur once pass the area lol.

I've gotten .3 for the last 5 days, but now it's raining so I might pick up a few more tenths :)  Funny how the train sets up, and when it moves.  All day the returns said rain, but nothing was falling.  Time after time the impulses missed, or dried up before they got here.  The band down the track looks  sort of solid now, so I hope it keeps running thru the evening.  I'd love to see half an inch out of this deluge, lol.  T

* FLOOD WARNING FOR...
  BUNCOMBE COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 1030 PM EDT

* AT 728 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED
  WARNED AREA. ADDITIONAL RAINFALL OF ONE OR TWO INCHES IS POSSIBLE
  ACROSS THE COUNTY THROUGH 10 PM.

SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...DOWNTOWN
  ASHEVILLE...ASHEVILLE MALL...AVERY CREEK...BARNARDSVILLE...BILTMORE
  FOREST...BLACK MOUNTAIN...FAIRVIEW...I-26 AT I-40...LEICESTER...
  SWANNANOA...UNC ASHEVILLE...WEAVERVILLE AND WOODFIN.

FLOOD WARNING FOR...
  MITCHELL COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...
  YANCEY COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 1030 PM EDT

* AT 743 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED
  WARNED AREA. ANOTHER ONE OR TWO INCHES OF RAIN MAY FALL ACROSS THE
  NORTHERN MOUNTAINS BEFORE THE RAIN LETS UP LATER THIS EVENING.

SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...
  BURNSVILLE...BULADEAN...BUSICK...MICAVILLE AND RAMSEYTOWN.

IN PARTICULAR...FLOODING IS EXPECTED ALONG THE SOUTH TOE RIVER AND
ITS TRIBUTARIES. FLOODING IS ALSO POSSIBLE ALONG BIG ROCK CREEK AND
LITTLE ROCK CREEK IN MITCHELL COUNTY...AND ALONG THE CANE RIVER AND
ITS TRIBUTARIES IN YANCEY COUNTY.

Riding the dry slot again.  Plenty of rain a few miles west. I saw this same scenario last year...flooding a county, or two, over...sand dunes here.  T

Tony please please send that dryslot over Western NC and NE TN and SW VA Please :)

Wasnt that bad driving down to Roanoke from northern VA this afternoon. Had sun and clouds all the way down till I got near Lexington, VA. Had a quick shower in the shenandoah valley near Harrisonburg. Heavy rains south of Lexington to Buchanan, VA on 81. About 10 mins north of ROA, clouds and few peeks of sun over the BR mtns to the east, and fog over the peaks. Looks like about 40 miles to my SW torrential rains are and have been falling all afternoon in SW VA, ie, Wytheville, Marion, Bristol

We finally have a thin line of showers and storms that managed to move through here and it rained very heavily for about 10 minutes. Radar indicates that we should get more moderate to heavy rain for a little while. There is a big batch about 75 miles south of GSP moving north that may miss us just to the west but could hit the mountains and foothills of NC hard later tonight if it holds together.

Yep seems like we will have an endless tap to the moisture coming off the Gulf tonight which is no good.

I'm not so sure. The best forcing, moisture plume, upper divergence, and low-level jet all shifts west overnight as the big ridge to our east finally makes inroads along the coast.

In my opinion, we should be fairly quiet through the night. Current radar supports this as does the RAP model.

Things may pick back up tomorrow afternoon again, with daytime heating, but I definitely think the worst is over. It shouldn't be nearly as widespread as it was today either.

Looks like the southern escarpment will have a hour or so break before more heavy rain moves in.  Have had 1.65 inches since 5:30 this afternoon and 2.56 for the day, which brings my total to 7.91 inches since Sunday night.  My father-in-law, which lives in another part of Lake Toxaway, has recorded 9.09 inches thus far.

It's gonna be a long night, there's a large swath of heavy heading right this way in the next couple of hours. If it keeps holding together, this batch will likely be the heaviest rain we've seen in several hours. We had a lull period of drizzle to moderate rain from late this afternoon and evening so we haven't gotten caught up in the hours and hours of heavy rain like folks to the west/northeast of me have. The heaviest rain we had was late this morning and again around 2-3pm. 

Looks like one more heavy batch if it holds together just west of Columbia, SC and east of Athens, GA heading north should get more decent rainfall into AVL and WNC area, then it looks much lighter downstream into the Savannah river basin. Maybe not as bad later tomorrow as originally though

Total at work in Cleveland is 4.4 inches. Total IMBY less than 20 miles away is only 0.25. It looks like KCHA may get caught in a dry slot for much of the day tomorrow if the modeling is correct. The GFS doesn't hit us with really heavy rain until Saturday. Total for 96 hours is still nearly 6 inches, but it doesn't occur on the 4th as originally thought. All of this is, of course, assuming the GFS is correct. Big assumption at this point.

The train over my immediate area has finally ended. Over the course of roughly two and a half hours I received around 2.5" which brings my storm total to 3.36". The amount of water running everywhere now is pretty insane. Glad my area finally got hit with a decent line after waiting several days.

This has been the perfect rain tonight, though not so much of it.  It has been a gentle, dripping rain since dusk. Probably haven't reached .7 yet, but  just right for the grass seed, and the garden.  No washing away, or run off..... all the rain counts.  Perfecto.   T

Archived