wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The Big Wet of 2013

Wow

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is pretty humid out here in WNC. once that sun was out full force around noon, it got ugly. Only 63 on top at the Craggy gardens picnic area with a gusty breezed, was quite nice up there with some fog and passing clouds. Got down to the BRP and US 70 interchange and the temp wast 74 or so earlier this afternoon.

Looks like another repeat of yesterday afternoon, a small line of storms in upstate SC heading towards the AVL area this late afternoon

It is pretty humid out here in WNC. once that sun was out full force around noon, it got ugly. Only 63 on top at the Craggy gardens picnic area with a gusty breezed, was quite nice up there with some fog and passing clouds. Got down to the BRP and US 70 interchange and the temp wast 74 or so earlier this afternoon.

Looks like another repeat of yesterday afternoon, a small line of storms in upstate SC heading towards the AVL area this late afternoon

Just got home from work & my DP is 72.9!......that is unheard of around here usually but, I guess the past few days have been anything but usual.

I was up in the Craggy Gardens area including the picnic area this afternoon as well; it was in the clouds at the Craggy Visitor Center; went on a hike on a trail below the picnic area  Some more rain in AVL when I returned and it is still trying to leak into my basement.  Any of you out there wanting rain please take ours; it is awful in this quantity.

Just saw this morning that GSP is 15 inches above normal for the year! That is amazing, especially given the last 3 or 4 summers!i know there are isolated spots around that have a lot more of a surplus than that, and there have been some really bad mudslides and damage due to all the rain., but I think I would rather it be like this , than oppressive heat and drought. More is on the way , and Sun- Mon looks like another 2 to 3 inches for a lot of us!

Just got home from work & my DP is 72.9!......that is unheard of around here usually but, I guess the past few days have been anything but usual.

Yeah that is just plain ole nasty dew point. It is like south florida in summer. Today was the worst I felt of the humidity since we have been here. Back north tomorrow :(

I was up in the Craggy Gardens area including the picnic area this afternoon as well; it was in the clouds at the Craggy Visitor Center; went on a hike on a trail below the picnic area  Some more rain in AVL when I returned and it is still trying to leak into my basement.  Any of you out there wanting rain please take ours; it is awful in this quantity.

I didnt even make it to the visitors center, the visibility was just nasty. Almost zero, I said the heck with it. It was really refreshing at the picnic grounds though with the gusty S wind.

I wish the Govt would put a weather station and web cam at each of the high peaks along the BRP. It would be nice for us weather peeps and for wx information as well. Similar like the ones they have along interstate highways. Once you went through the tunnel it was just teribble.

That last line pretty much fell apart here in W AVL like yesterdays did. Old Fort looks to get clipped pretty decent with that cell now that there is a warning on it

Just got my one and only deluge for the day so far.  A small piece of the train running just to my west.  Oddly, looking down stream it looks like my best chances for more rain tonight are coming from the Atlantic, with me right next to a huge gulf river roaring, lol.  Go figure.  T

Just got my one and only deluge for the day so far.  A small piece of the train running just to my west.  Oddly, looking down stream it looks like my best chances for more rain tonight are coming from the Atlantic, with me right next to a huge gulf river roaring, lol.  Go figure.  T

congrats Tony. lol.  Back home it is dry like the Mojave Desert. :(

Hope you have a safe trip home Dave. Sorry the weather wasn't better but at least you got to see some unusual stuff for the Mnts weather wise.

Thanks Don. It is still a great time in WNC and AVL no matter the weather. You live in a great area. Thanks for your climo info too.  We are planning a return trip later this year, yeah with the hundreds of thousands of others but the wx is usually pretty decent here unless a tropical system rolls inland. 

Off to Canton for the fireworks :)

Few more showers to heavier rain showers in the last 2 hours between AVL and Canton. Just keeps on adding up

Yep we are having a thunderstorm right know. Since it is after midnight this makes the 7th straight day of rain and we ahve had rain 13 out of the last 14 days . Picked up another 0.78 inches of rain yesterday and oicking up more tonight. Lol the rain wil not end! Looking ahead to the next week or two it looks like we are pretty much stuck in this pattern. Dave wish you would have had better weather man but they don't call it the Smokey Mountains for no reason. Was a pleasure having you post down here and would have great to meet you. Hope you are your family have a safe trip back.

I guess I officially live in a rain forest now. Another 4.5" since Friday morning, making my total 10.25" since Tuesday morning. It's raining heavily now. Some water seeping into the basement. Always happens when I get more than six inches in three days. This weather has produced a record crop of biting flys. Thank goodness for Deep Woods OFF! And June here had only 6".

guess the weather can seem relative at times - so far this month (last week) mby has received about 6.5" - even though the last couple of days have been mostly sunny with just a few storms/showers.  was thinking the holiday weekend would be like the 4th, but with the sun assumed we had not really gotten that much rain.  obviously i was mistaken lol.   this summer has been awesome rain wise so far, everything is green and lush for a change.  lake hartwell is not only full but water is covering a lot of the walk ways out to the docks. 

The official grand total since Wednesday at KCHA is 5.04 inches, but it is still raining right now. The counties in N. GA immediately to my south are really getting hammered right now with rates of almost 2" per hour. KCHA has had measurable rain every single day in July.

Archived