gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
The Big Wet of 2013

Wow

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well get ready for more flooding possibly.

.THE MOVEMENT OF AN UPPER LEVEL LOW WILL BRING A PLUME OF DEEPER
MOISTURE BACK TO THE WEST AND ACROSS THE REGION THIS AFTERNOON AND
EVENING. DEVELOPING EASTERLY WINDS WILL HELP THE DEVELOPMENT OF
MORE SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ALONG AND TO THE EAST OF THE BLUE
RIDGE THROUGH EARLY SUNDAY MORNING. GIVEN THE RECENT HIGH NUMBER
OF FLASH FLOOD EVENTS BROUGHT ABOUT BY WIDESPREAD WELL ABOVE
NORMAL RAINFALL...THE POTENTIAL FOR ADDITIONAL FLASH FLOODING IS
HIGH ACROSS THE REGION WHEREVER STORMS DEVELOP AND PERSIST.

Large swath of Flood Watch.

RABUN-HABERSHAM-STEPHENS-FRANKLIN-HART-ELBERT-AVERY-ALEXANDER-
IREDELL-MADISON-YANCEY-MITCHELL-HAYWOOD-BUNCOMBE-CATAWBA-
NORTHERN JACKSON-MACON-SOUTHERN JACKSON-TRANSYLVANIA-HENDERSON-
CLEVELAND-LINCOLN-GASTON-MECKLENBURG-UNION NC-CALDWELL MOUNTAINS-
GREATER CALDWELL-BURKE MOUNTAINS-GREATER BURKE-MCDOWELL MOUNTAINS-
EASTERN MCDOWELL-RUTHERFORD MOUNTAINS-GREATER RUTHERFORD-
POLK MOUNTAINS-EASTERN POLK-OCONEE MOUNTAINS-PICKENS MOUNTAINS-
GREENVILLE MOUNTAINS-GREATER OCONEE-GREATER PICKENS-
GREATER GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG-CHEROKEE-YORK-ANDERSON-ABBEVILLE-
LAURENS-UNION SC-CHESTER-GREENWOOD-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CLAYTON...CLARKESVILLE...TOCCOA...
HARTWELL...ELBERTON...NEWLAND...STATESVILLE...SPRUCE PINE...
WAYNESVILLE...ASHEVILLE...HICKORY...SYLVA...FRANKLIN...BREVARD...
HENDERSONVILLE...SHELBY...LINCOLNTON...GASTONIA...CHARLOTTE...
MONROE...LENOIR...MORGANTON...MARION...LAKE LURE...RUTHERFORD...
COLUMBUS...GREENVILLE...SPARTANBURG...GAFFNEY...ROCK HILL...
ANDERSON...ABBEVILLE...LAURENS...UNION...CHESTER...GREENWOOD
354 AM EDT SAT JUL 13 2013

...FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM NOON EDT TODAY THROUGH LATE
TONIGHT...

Folks, got to be honest. I was fearing the potential for more substantial rain and flash flooding this weekend once it became apparent a couple days ago that we would have another surge of tropical moisture. But with the events that have taken place overnight, there is now dire concern of what may be coming over the next 24-36 hours for some of the eastern slopes of the Appalachians.

Last night's cells anchored against the escarpment was working on PWAT's of about 1.4 inches, today and tonight will feature a very similar scenario but we'll up the ante as PWAT's will surge to around 2 inches across the region. I am expecting another nocturnal thunderstorm complex to form tonight.

Areas of Western North Carolina and Upstate SC are at a hydrological point to where any rainfall goes directly to flooding...we no longer have any leeway in terms of QPF going to fill the river and stream beds...

I wouldn't rule out another 2-4 inches of rain over the next 36 hours and some isolated totals higher than 4 inches...

Folks, got to be honest. I was fearing the potential for more substantial rain and flash flooding this weekend once it became apparent a couple days ago that we would have another surge of tropical moisture. But with the events that have taken place overnight, there is now dire concern of what may be coming over the next 24-36 hours for some of the eastern slopes of the Appalachians.

Last night's cells anchored against the escarpment was working on PWAT's of about 1.4 inches, today and tonight will feature a very similar scenario but we'll up the ante as PWAT's will surge to around 2 inches across the region. I am expecting another nocturnal thunderstorm complex to form tonight.

Areas of Western North Carolina and Upstate SC are at a hydrological point to where any rainfall goes directly to flooding...we no longer have any leeway in terms of QPF going to fill the river and stream beds...

I wouldn't rule out another 2-4 inches of rain over the next 36 hours and some isolated totals higher than 4 inches...

Yep and 2-4 inches right know will cause major flooding in the mountains. Just look at what has happened the past few days.

I just drove through Pendleton, SC. The flooding there was the worst I have ever seen in my lifetime.  There were policeman making water rescue’s in houses surrounded by 3 to 5 feet of water. Several bridges had 4 or 5 feet of water on top of them.  The roads were washed out in places. It was unreal! Oh, and ran into some pea sized hail while all this was happening.

Those cells that formed just off the ridgelines down in the Burke and Caldwell Mountain areas were very very bad storms as they broke containment yesterday evening.

Bad downbursts, torrential rain, mudslides and hail.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/22831000/severe-thunderstorms-down-trees-flood-roads-in-caldwell-and-burke-counties

http://www.wcnc.com/mobile-content/local-news/Emergency-officials-urging--215340121.html

From WxBrad

Upper low rapidly backing towards the SW

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/photos/115333506137843021021/album/5900096105353594833/5900096102606951394?authkey=CPXG_5qBztCu6AE

My comment: This is a Hugo path setup condition as occured in 1989. If Chantal had been a major hurricane, this retrograding upper low would have allowed the storm inland

13th striaght day of rainfall. It is raining this morning. Seems like it has rained everyday the past month.

Thats just nuts, especially for this time of the year. Its either feast or famine for you guys down there this summer. Wow.

You guys are getting the rain, Atlanta, GA has no days of 90+ temps in July so far and it looks like next week it wont happen either and DC area will have temps 95+ all next week. Talk about a bizzare pattern.

Thats just nuts, especially for this time of the year. Its either feast or famine for you guys down there this summer. Wow.

You guys are getting the rain, Atlanta, GA has no days of 90+ temps in July so far and it looks like next week it wont happen either and DC area will have temps 95+ all next week. Talk about a bizzare pattern.

Yeah usually when they are having a heatwave, most of the SE is as well. Crazy pattern. Well below average down here even though we have dodged all the rain. It seems in Summer it is either drought or deluge.

1.81 inches overnight and now 9.86 for the month...

I was watching the multiple slow moving cells over McDowell County yesterday.  I was in Black Mountain after work and caught the W

western edge of the storm and it was dumping.  I am sure some on the escarpment had devastating flooding.  Bring me a  draught; this flooding is doing a lot of damage; it's awful.

fixed that for you

Lol ya it seems that way. I was just going over some of my weather notes and it is just unreal how many days we have had rain. Just crazy how this pattern had really taken hold town here and not really budged.

Ya we have yet to hit the 90s all summer and spring here also. It is very bizzare when the SE is cooler than the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. It looks like we will get some heat in here next week but not sure if we will hit the 90s or not but the Euro is already breaking the ridge in the East down towards the end of the run and bringing another trough in here. Go figure that has been out pattern the last three months or more.

So far...so good. No real significant convection has fired up along the areas that flooded last night...maybe that complex left enough debris to limit instability.

Regardless, still plenty of high octane moisture coming in as our low hustles off to the west. The forward moment in itself will help limit training but I still think we could see an increase in action through the evening and overnight.

After 2 whole dry days here at the house. We have had a pre-dawn shower (.20") which brought us to 9.36" for the month. I am currently 1.85" away from my yearly average.

Lol crazy Don. Ya it looks like today may be pretty active. You can see the moisture streaming right off the Atlantic coming right into the mountains. Even though they are calling for only 40% chance of rain I think we will do much better today.

I hope this will translate into some winter snow but by then we will probably go into a dry spell just about time the cold air arrives. :cry::snowwindow:

Most definitely. The atmosphere will have rained itself out by mid november and will need to "heal" until early april. Also further evidenced by unusual bird activity around wilkesboro.

This is going to hurt some. Kind of weird since we were just there last weekend. But with all the rain lately, this shouldnt be to much of a surprise. Hope they are able to fix this before the heavy fall season traffic.

ASHEVILLE — The Blue Ridge Parkway, in its second busiest month of the year, is closed from Milepost 375, a few miles north of the city, to Milepost 355 at N.C. 128/Mount Mitchell State Park.

“At Milepost 374, one mile north of Ox Creek Road, there’s an apparent slope failure below the roadway,” Steve Stinnett, parkway chief ranger, said. “There is a 2- to 4-inch-wide, 100-foot-long crack in the road, so we’re concerned about the road failing there. We’ll have to have it assessed by an engineer before we can reopen.”

Stinnett said the crack is located on the road’s center line just north of Tanbark Tunnel, and a ranger said he can see 6 feet down into the crack.

“The ground below the crack is completely saturated and is starting to collapse,” he said.

Stinnett said he is not sure when the crack occurred, but it was just noticed Friday.

“It’s most likely due to the heavy rains. Like everywhere else in Buncombe County, the soils are saturated and prone to things like this.”

The Blue Ridge Parkway, which spans 469 miles from Cherokee to Shenandoah National Park in Virginia, is the most visited national park site in the country. In 2012, the parkway received 15.2 million visitors. The busiest month on the parkway is October, followed by July, according to Stinnett.

For more information, including road closures, visit www.nps.gov/blri.

http://www.blackmountainnews.com/article/20130713/NEWS/307130028

This is going to hurt some. Kind of weird since we were just there last weekend. But with all the rain lately, this shouldnt be to much of a surprise. Hope they are able to fix this before the heavy fall season traffic.

http://www.blackmountainnews.com/article/20130713/NEWS/307130028

Unfortunately I would be willing to bet that it will be closed for an extended period of time...I remember back when we had Frances and Ivan come through here nine years ago, an area of the Parkway not far from Linville Falls had the same problem and it took nearly 2 years before it was completely fixed...

Unfortunately I would be willing to bet that it will be closed for an extended period of time...I remember back when we had Frances and Ivan come through here nine years ago, an area of the Parkway not far from Linville Falls had the same problem and it took nearly 2 years before it was completely fixed...

Wow, that is awful for the local businesses up there. I didnt know about that back then. That sucks. Really hope this pattern changes for you guys down there, you truly could use a break for a few weeks of the constant training and heavy rain storms

Archived