• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The Big Wet of 2013

Wow

We had a nasty cell about 2 pm today drop 1.87 in less than 1 hour. Puts us at nearly 13 inches for the month.

Ya we got nailed today by two storms but that second storm was ripping. Had a total of 1.79 inches for the day. Ran into a storm on I40 in Haywood and was slowed down to 35 mph. Could not see but about 20 feet in front of you. Crazy amount of water on the road.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after today’s rain an area east of Pendleton,SC should be right at 20 inches for the month of July now... Our farm is now over 15 inches!  We have peach orchards beginning to die from “wet feet.” That’s when the soil stays anaerobic for too long and the peach tree’s can’t take it.  I have never actually witnessed this happening in our area until now.  

after today’s rain an area east of Pendleton,SC should be right at 20 inches for the month of July now... Our farm is now over 15 inches!  We have peach orchards beginning to die from “wet feet.” That’s when the soil stays anaerobic for too long and the peach tree’s can’t take it.  I have never actually witnessed this happening in our area until now.  

Wow not good at all. I was looking today at our rainfall for the month and we are approaching 20 inches here in the mountains. Got 2 gully washers today to put us at 2.27 inches for the day and more to come. Just remarkable.

Another 2.5 inches the past two days. That put me just short of 17 inches for the month, and there's alot of month left. Temps staying low. It was 64 this morning, and only got up to 78 this afternoon. Are you sure this isn't May? Check out the Broad River coming out of Lake Lure.

http://youtu.be/_EMpBlRV_Gg

Another 2.5 inches the past two days. That put me just short of 17 inches for the month, and there's alot of month left. Temps staying low. It was 64 this morning, and only got up to 78 this afternoon. Are you sure this isn't May? Check out the Broad River coming out of Lake Lure.

http://youtu.be/_EMpBlRV_Gg

Nice Marvel. Just took a look at the Euro and the next 10 days looks unsettled and below normal for temps. A lot of records going down this month.

Here's an excerpt from the most recent CoCoRaHS newsletter...

I just ran our "Total Precipitation Summary Report" for
North Carolina and about a third of the stations have received over 10"
of rain this month. A few dozen stations, mostly in western NC, have
totalled over 15". The very soggy "winner" if you can call it that is
near Linville in Avery County with measurable rainfall every day this
month and a total of 25.39" in 23 days since July 1. That same station
has totalled over 71" since January 1. That's crazy.

With no rain in the last 36 hours, I'm still sitting at 9.49" of rain so far for July, and 42.29" for the year. That still leaves me at 1.87" behind the total rainfall for 2012 with more than 5 months left in this year. 

We surpassed that total earlier this month and currently sit 6" above it. Columbus is also 5.5" from equaling our "average" rainfall for the year. This will be the first year we beat the average since 2009 when we recorded 80.2"!!!

It has rained 15 days this month.  My monthly total is somewhere around 9" and the mosquitoes are so bad that bug spray won't work.

If you don't breath they won't bother you so much :)  I used to be able to hold my breath for a minute and a half, but in my old age I'm down to a minute, if I don't mind everything going black and seeing stars, lol.  So I just bath in the highest deet content stuff I can find, and forge ahead.  It's these tigers that are the worst, I feel like a reindeer on the tundra in spring when I go out now.  I've been thinking about getting one of those Tunguska netting hat thingys since I work outside all day doing important stuff, lol. 

I'm up to 7.55 after the other evening when the big area of rain over Ala became spotty light showers over me, but still I've seen more rain in July that I did in some combined  summers this century, lol.  I'll take the mozzies in exchange for the rain.  The trouble is the rain has eased up a lot since the Moles disappeared, and drought is always around the next corner it seems based on the last 30 years down here. T

With no rain in the last 36 hours, I'm still sitting at 9.49" of rain so far for July, and 42.29" for the year. That still leaves me at 1.87" behind the total rainfall for 2012 with more than 5 months left in this year. 

Just think.  If the pattern suddenly changes and you only get 1.87" more for the entire year you will have 6 months of floods and six months of drought that will go on the books as a near normal year.  :)

We got exactly one week left in July and I am sitting at 13.68 for the month. I have received measurable rainfall for all but 7 days. Given what may be in the pipeline through the early part of next week, I have a shot at reaching 15 inches if we can get one or two good storms to form this weekend.

YTD Total: 50.90 inches...

A couple of the Moles came back... with some groupies...sporting Married by Elvis tattoos...and it rained twice today.  One inch in a storm this afternoon, and .05 this evening.  Like clockwork!  My guess is they were playing a system in Vegas.  Hope they won!  I don't wish to see any leg breakers around here.

Larry, don't know where the rest are.  They may drag into Sav. yet.  Meanwhile the summer sans 90's continues..just compensation for winterless winters.   T

Archived