wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The Big Wet of 2013

Wow

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With rain overnight, I passed the 20 inch mark, and it's still raining heavily. Because the storms have been stretched out, I've had no serious flooding around here. The creeks remain high, and there's no kayaking on the Broad River, but the sun always finds a way to dry everything up. Haven't seen mosquitoes yet. Not usually a problem around these parts anyway.

Here's a pic I made just north of me Thursday evening after a heavy shower passed.

post-8754-0-97367300-1374926395_thumb.jp

Updated map...

1000506_519171201488674_426904164_n.jpg

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDFLASH FLOOD WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC905 AM EDT SAT JUL 27 2013THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED A* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...  NORTHWESTERN LINCOLN COUNTY IN THE PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA...  WESTERN CATAWBA COUNTY IN THE PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA...* UNTIL NOON EDT* AT 856 AM EDT...EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT REPORTED A MAJOR FLASH FLOOD  EVENT UNDERWAY ACROSS MUCH OF CATAWBA COUNTY. NUMEROUS ROADS ARE  IMPASSABLE DUE TO FLOODING OF STREAMS AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS. AS  MUCH AS 9 INCHES OF RAIN HAS FALLEN ACROSS THE WARNED AREA SINCE  ABOUT 4 AM...AND THUNDERSTORMS WITH VERY HEAVY RAINFALL WILL  CONTINUE THROUGH AT LEAST 10 AM. IN ADDITION...MORE THUNDERSTORMS  ACROSS SOUTH CAROLINA MAY PRODUCE ADDITIONAL HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS  THE AREA LATE THIS MORNING. ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF AN INCH  OR MORE APPEAR LIKELY.* THE ADDITIONAL HEAVY RAINFALL WILL RESULT IN AN INCREASINGLY  SEVERE FLASH FLOOD EVENT ACROSS WESTERN CATAWBA AND NORTHWEST  LINCOLN COUNTY THIS MORNING. IN ADDITION TO SEVERE URBAN FLOODING  ACROSS PORTIONS OF HICKORY...NUMEROUS STREAMS WILL CONTINUE TO  RISE WELL ABOVE BANKFULL. AFFECTED STREAMS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT  LIMITED TO...POTT CREEK...JACOB FORK...LITTLE INDIAN CREEK...AND  BUFFALO CREEK. UNLESS YOUR HOME IS THREATENED BY FLOOD WATERS...  RESIDENTS OF WESTERN CATAWBA AND NORTHWEST LINCOLN COUNTY ARE  ADVISED TO STAY IN THEIR HOMES UNTIL FLOOD WATERS RECEDE.

I've never seen this type of GSP update for my area.  We're supposed to just stay at home because it's so bad out on the roadways right now.  Amazing!

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

FLASH FLOOD WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC
905 AM EDT SAT JUL 27 2013

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED A

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...
NORTHWESTERN LINCOLN COUNTY IN THE PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA...
WESTERN CATAWBA COUNTY IN THE PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL NOON EDT

* AT 856 AM EDT...EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT REPORTED A MAJOR FLASH FLOOD
EVENT UNDERWAY ACROSS MUCH OF CATAWBA COUNTY. NUMEROUS ROADS ARE
IMPASSABLE DUE TO FLOODING OF STREAMS AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS. AS
MUCH AS 9 INCHES OF RAIN HAS FALLEN ACROSS THE WARNED AREA SINCE
ABOUT 4 AM...AND THUNDERSTORMS WITH VERY HEAVY RAINFALL WILL
CONTINUE THROUGH AT LEAST 10 AM. IN ADDITION...MORE THUNDERSTORMS
ACROSS SOUTH CAROLINA MAY PRODUCE ADDITIONAL HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS
THE AREA LATE THIS MORNING. ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF AN INCH
OR MORE APPEAR LIKELY.

* THE ADDITIONAL HEAVY RAINFALL WILL RESULT IN AN INCREASINGLY
SEVERE FLASH FLOOD EVENT ACROSS WESTERN CATAWBA AND NORTHWEST
LINCOLN COUNTY THIS MORNING. IN ADDITION TO SEVERE URBAN FLOODING
ACROSS PORTIONS OF HICKORY...NUMEROUS STREAMS WILL CONTINUE TO
RISE WELL ABOVE BANKFULL. AFFECTED STREAMS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT
LIMITED TO...POTT CREEK...JACOB FORK...LITTLE INDIAN CREEK...AND
BUFFALO CREEK. UNLESS YOUR HOME IS THREATENED BY FLOOD WATERS...
RESIDENTS OF WESTERN CATAWBA AND NORTHWEST LINCOLN COUNTY ARE
ADVISED TO STAY IN THEIR HOMES UNTIL FLOOD WATERS RECEDE.

An absolute disaster currently going on for parts of Catawba and Lincoln Counties...13-plus inches of rain recorded in some areas. Major flooding going on even for those not close to rivers or streams. Major urban flooding which has closed a lot of roads in the Newton-Conover area and parts of Hickory itself.

And the worst part in all of this is that another surge of heavy precip is moving back in from the southwest...

GSP_loop.gif

Registered just under 5 inches of rain this morning.... Now I am 4 inches of rain above what I should receive each year! I have had over 25 inches of rain in June and July. Absolutely amazing.

I took a video of the clouds as the rain moved in. Quality is not great, but you get the idea. Slow moving clouds producing heavy rain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAtZKZUviAA

I managed 7.13 inches of rainfall in the final tally for the day.  I had two different 10-minute intervals where I recorded more than half an inch of rain.  That's better than a 3-inches-per-hour rate!  I didn't quite record the foot-plus totals just to the SW, but it was still a record-breaking day for MBY.  What a storm system...

I managed 7.13 inches of rainfall in the final tally for the day.  I had two different 10-minute intervals where I recorded more than half an inch of rain.  That's better than a 3-inches-per-hour rate!  I didn't quite record the foot-plus totals just to the SW, but it was still a record-breaking day for MBY.  What a storm system...

Wow crazy. What is your total for the month know.

I feel for our friends in the central Piedmont. Wow!  I got another inch this morning after my last post to bring my July total to 21 inches, but that's NOTHING compared to a foot just today! Here's a pic I made about an hour ago over Lake Lure and Rumbling Bald Mountain.  Here at Otter Creek, it's just starting to drizzle. Here goes!

post-8754-0-03259900-1374972462_thumb.jp

15.75 inches for July and 52.16 inches since the beginning of the calendar year 2013.

Storms are rumbling to the south and west.  We could pick up a little more, I guess.

:o  :o:maprain:    Thats incredible. Wow. You arent that far off what they have had at Mt Mitchell YTD

Sorry I haven't been posting guys, things have been killer at work. Our precip has slowed down the last few days & we have somewhat dried out. We did pick up .42" early this morning in about 15 minutes as we got a glancing blow from a thunder storm. We are now at 11.38" for July. (hoping we can get to 12" by Wed. night) this almost doubles our wettest month (Dec. 2012) in the 10.5 years I have lived here. Our 36.17" for the year already exceeds my yearly average over the last 10 yrs by .17" with 5 more calender months remaining. I think unless there is a dramatic pattern shift I will smash my best year which was almost 41". Some of the totals from the escarpment area for the month are staggering.....20"-30" July totals! They had a farmer on WLOS the other day whose corn crop was devastated by 2 different events. One was 4" in a little under 2 hrs & the next was 6" in a little over 2.5 hrs. The only time I can remember it raining like it has this month is when I lived in Franklin in the early to mid 80's. The Spring rains where tremendous back then both in rate & longevity. I remember hwy 28 flooding multiple times & even hwy 441 flooding. Well of course like most on the board my big hope is that this moisture makes it into Dec,Jan,Feb, & we have snowfall amounts like 09-10, 10-11. Wow got it right with this thread title & this year will be one I remember for a long time!

Archived