wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The Big Wet of 2013

Wow

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that is awful for the local businesses up there. I didnt know about that back then. That sucks. Really hope this pattern changes for you guys down there, you truly could use a break for a few weeks of the constant training and heavy rain storms

The thing that gets me is if we continue this pattern into fall being so wet and we start getting freezes again. So much moisture in the ground and in the rocks; I think rock slides will be a big concern along with what is happening know. Just way to much rain. Looks like we will be a hot dry spell coming up but that will be very short lived. The Euro carves a nice big trough back into the East Next week.

picked up .83 so far been a steady rain all day.

0.72 inches here to just keep on adding to the totals.

Unfortunately I would be willing to bet that it will be closed for an extended period of time...I remember back when we had Frances and Ivan come through here nine years ago, an area of the Parkway not far from Linville Falls had the same problem and it took nearly 2 years before it was completely fixed...

This is going to hurt some. Kind of weird since we were just there last weekend. But with all the rain lately, this shouldnt be to much of a surprise. Hope they are able to fix this before the heavy fall season traffic.

http://www.blackmountainnews.com/article/20130713/NEWS/307130028

Wow, that is the first I heard about that; sounds bad and not sure how much the NPS has in the budget these days.  I would agree it could be closed for years.  I hate to hear the trough will be returning; enough already. 

another .75 in the bucket today and about 90 percent of that came in a 10 minute span late this afternoon. There was some true high octane air that retrograded into the Western Carolinas today...good thing our low wasn't blocked up and nobody got into any training of heavy convection.

Nice on & off steady rain yesterday for a surprising .94". My monthly is 10.10" & yearly is 34.89 leaving me 1.11" away from my yearly average. Def. had a tropical feel yesterday. Not looking forward to midweek temps. in the upper 80s as it is just going to lift moisture out of the soil & make for crazy Mnt. dewpoints!

With yesterday's rain, my July total sits at 14.5". I was at Lake Lure yesterday. and the Broad River flowing out of the lake is as high and active as I've seen it in the four years I've been here. Looks like six feet above normal. All kayaking has been stopped for weeks because of strong currents. Only for experts right now. I would attach pics, but for some reason, the system won't take them. Bummer!

Another road goes bye-bye due to all the rain that has fallen in recent weeks. NC Hwy 194 in Avery County gave way along a mountain side. This is the primary road in Avery County that takes you into Northeast Tennessee, I travel it on a regular basis when going to Bristol...it's gonna be gone for a long time.

http://www.wjhl.com/story/22848724/2013/07/16/landslide-closes-section-of-highway-194-in-avery-county

2652271_G.jpg

Another road goes bye-bye due to all the rain that has fallen in recent weeks. NC Hwy 194 in Avery County gave way along a mountain side. This is the primary road in Avery County that takes you into Northeast Tennessee, I travel it on a regular basis when going to Bristol...it's gonna be gone for a long time.

http://www.wjhl.com/story/22848724/2013/07/16/landslide-closes-section-of-highway-194-in-avery-county

2652271_G.jpg

Stephanie Abrams from TWC tweeted about the slide this am with this photo link from WCNC. Some great aerial shots of it.

http://www.wcnc.com/traffic/alerts/Mudslide-shuts-down-Avery-County-roads-215649901.html?gallery=y&img=0&c=y#/traffic/alerts/Mudslide-shuts-down-Avery-County-roads-215649901.html?gallery=y&img=3&c=y&c=y

Severe Thunderstorm Watch

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 417

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

300 PM EDT WED JUL 17 2013

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 417 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1000 PM EDT

FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

NCC003-011-021-023-025-027-035-045-059-071-075-087-089-097-099-

109-111-113-115-119-121-149-159-161-173-175-179-199-180200-

/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0417.130717T1900Z-130718T0200Z/

NC

. NORTH CAROLINA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ALEXANDER AVERY BUNCOMBE

BURKE CABARRUS CALDWELL

CATAWBA CLEVELAND DAVIE

GASTON GRAHAM HAYWOOD

HENDERSON IREDELL JACKSON

LINCOLN MACON MADISON

MCDOWELL MECKLENBURG MITCHELL

POLK ROWAN RUTHERFORD

SWAIN TRANSYLVANIA UNION

YANCEY

$$

Wow. That is amazing. Unreal. Been on that road before coming over from Johnson city off rt 19 I think it is ad then heading to banner elk. That gonna suck for people driving to ski resorts Like don said. That's gonna be a 2 yr closure or so.

2652271_G.jpg

Wow not good at all but the bad thing is I think we will see more and more of these landslides as we go through the year.

That link has some good photos that Marionwx posted of other landslides in Avery and Watauga county.

Ya I know Dave. Just unreal man. So sad to see these beautiful roads go like this. Just too much damn rain man. I have never seen it this wet for this long over an extended period of time here inthe mountains. To beat it all this pattern has held through spring and know summer.

Wow. That is amazing. Unreal. Been on that road before coming over from Johnson city off rt 19 I think it is ad then heading to banner elk. That gonna suck for people driving to ski resorts Like don said. That's gonna be a 2 yr closure or so.

I'm no civil engineer but we had similar washouts here in Vermont from Irene and they were repaired and passable much quicker than that. In some cases it was a temporary fix but our road crews busted their tails to get them open. Hopefully for the folks in that area they can get back to some semblance of normal in a short period of time.

I'm no civil engineer but we had similar washouts here in Vermont from Irene and they were repaired and passable much quicker than that. In some cases it was a temporary fix but our road crews busted their tails to get them open. Hopefully for the folks in that area they can get back to some semblance of normal in a short period of time.

Agreed.  We've all heard jokes about state workers, but I can't fathom this fix taking up to two years to finish.  I guess we'll soon (or not) find out.  Start the clock...

One thing I've learned over the years about the NC DOT...they're not one to bust their tails. Again, that is the only route for Avery County to get into Carter County Tennessee so that will be one incentive. Second, its one of two ways to get to the ski slopes. That may be another incentive to get things done quicker.

I only wish the cameraman had continued to follow the path of the grocery carts! Where did they end up? What kind of carnage did they cause?

Yeah, I wanted to see where they ended up. I love videos like that, the worst part is when they stop recording for whatever reason. Wish I could experience that in my backyard.

Archived