• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The Big Wet of 2013

Wow

Me too, now.  But, without the rains.  I have been privy to one of the most awesome displays of lightning that I have ever seen for the past 20 minutes.  There has been lightning on all sides.  I believe a bolt actually struck in the woods a street or two over.  That created the most incredibly loud boom.  Somehow, I still have power, and I'm just hearing the first drops of rain.  This is amazing!!

Well, scratch that.  I got more than an inch of rain, and it's still falling.  But, what an impressive showing that electric storm was!

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are getting pounded by a pop up tstorm right now. Torrential rain, really bad lightning,& gusty winds. Just what we don't need right now....esp with what some of the computer models are showing for Chantal.

Was in Asheville when that hit Don. Wow at the lightning that thing had. Was an impressive storm. Thought we had missed it over here but back home we got pounded to. 9th straight day of seeing rainfall. Two day total of rain is at 2.47 inches. This is shaping up to be an amazing month again for rainfall.

I've now gathered more than 7 inches for July alone.  With that thunderstorm last night, I have also passed my yearly total rainfall from 2012 with 45 total inches, and we're just over halfway through 2013!  Wow!  Record year here IMBY.  Of course, I only have 2 years worth of data so far at this new house; so, maybe this is normal and I'm supposed to get 60+ inches by the end of the calendar year and last year was an anomaly...  :whistle:

Or not...  :D

We are on our second heavy thunderstorm of the day. By the time it's done we will be around 9 inches for the month & 34 for the year (again our average is 3 & 36). I love weather and enjoy the storms but it is becoming to much! The terrain is not made for the rainfall totals we are experiencing.

Beaverdam fire department reporting 3 feet of water in their parking lot and unable to respond to calls. Things got bad quick here in Asheville.

Flash Flood Warning
FLASH FLOOD WARNINGNCC021-110300-/O.NEW.KGSP.FF.W.0046.130711T0006Z-130711T0300Z//00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDFLASH FLOOD WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC806 PM EDT WED JUL 10 2013THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED A* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...  BUNCOMBE COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...* UNTIL 1100 PM EDT* AT 802 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED  SLOW MOVING THUNDERSTORMS WITH VERY HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS THE  WARNED AREA. DOPPLER RADAR INDICATES 1 TO 2 INCHES OF RAIN HAS  FALLEN OVER THE WARNED AREA IN THE LAST 3 HOURS AND AN ADDITIONAL  1 TO 2 INCHES IS POSSIBLE IN THE NEXT 2 HOURS.* RUNOFF FROM THIS EXCESSIVE RAINFALL WILL CAUSE FLASH FLOODING TO  OCCUR. SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...  DOWNTOWN ASHEVILLE...ASHEVILLE MALL...AVERY CREEK...BILTMORE  FOREST...BLACK MOUNTAIN...FAIRVIEW...I-26 AT I-40...LEICESTER...  SWANNANOA...UNC ASHEVILLE...WEAVERVILLE AND WOODFIN.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...EXCESSIVE RUNOFF FROM HEAVY RAINFALL WILL CAUSE FLOODING OF SMALLCREEKS AND STREAMS...HIGHWAYS AND UNDERPASSES. ADDITIONALLY...COUNTRY ROADS AND FARMLANDS ALONG THE BANKS OF CREEKS...STREAMS ANDOTHER LOW LYING AREAS ARE SUBJECT TO FLOODING.PLEASE REPORT HIGH WATER...FLOODING...LANDSLIDES OR OTHER SEVEREWEATHER TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE SPARTANBURG BYCALLING TOLL FREE...1...800...2 6 7...8 1 0 1...OR BY POSTING ON OURFACEBOOK PAGE...OR TWEET IT USING HASHTAG NWSGSP. YOUR MESSAGE SHOULDDESCRIBE THE EVENT AND THE SPECIFIC LOCATION WHERE IT OCCURRED.

3.34" for the month. 29.5" or the year

You are half of what Mt Mitchell has recorded for the year and about 6000 feet lower.  Pretty wild

Flash Flood Warning

FLASH FLOOD WARNINGNCC021-110300-/O.NEW.KGSP.FF.W.0046.130711T0006Z-130711T0300Z//00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDFLASH FLOOD WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC806 PM EDT WED JUL 10 2013THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED A* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...  BUNCOMBE COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...* UNTIL 1100 PM EDT* AT 802 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED  SLOW MOVING THUNDERSTORMS WITH VERY HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS THE  WARNED AREA. DOPPLER RADAR INDICATES 1 TO 2 INCHES OF RAIN HAS  FALLEN OVER THE WARNED AREA IN THE LAST 3 HOURS AND AN ADDITIONAL  1 TO 2 INCHES IS POSSIBLE IN THE NEXT 2 HOURS.* RUNOFF FROM THIS EXCESSIVE RAINFALL WILL CAUSE FLASH FLOODING TO  OCCUR. SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...  DOWNTOWN ASHEVILLE...ASHEVILLE MALL...AVERY CREEK...BILTMORE  FOREST...BLACK MOUNTAIN...FAIRVIEW...I-26 AT I-40...LEICESTER...  SWANNANOA...UNC ASHEVILLE...WEAVERVILLE AND WOODFIN.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...EXCESSIVE RUNOFF FROM HEAVY RAINFALL WILL CAUSE FLOODING OF SMALLCREEKS AND STREAMS...HIGHWAYS AND UNDERPASSES. ADDITIONALLY...COUNTRY ROADS AND FARMLANDS ALONG THE BANKS OF CREEKS...STREAMS ANDOTHER LOW LYING AREAS ARE SUBJECT TO FLOODING.PLEASE REPORT HIGH WATER...FLOODING...LANDSLIDES OR OTHER SEVEREWEATHER TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE SPARTANBURG BYCALLING TOLL FREE...1...800...2 6 7...8 1 0 1...OR BY POSTING ON OURFACEBOOK PAGE...OR TWEET IT USING HASHTAG NWSGSP. YOUR MESSAGE SHOULDDESCRIBE THE EVENT AND THE SPECIFIC LOCATION WHERE IT OCCURRED.

wow! You guys cant catch a break lately. just incredible rainfall amounts for WNC. Good luck to you all

Thought we'd go our first day without rain, but just saw the special weather statement for the storm coming from our west, headed directly my way!!!

...STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WILL AFFECT CLEVELAND...NORTHERNSPARTANBURG...NORTHWESTERN CHEROKEE AND SOUTHEASTERN RUTHERFORDCOUNTIES THROUGH 915 PM EDT...

Archived